Author Topic: Socks and Insoles  (Read 2045 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Socks and Insoles
« on: 20:46:42, 26/04/20 »
Now that I am back to daily off-road running I've been experimenting with my sock collection and my insoles.

Insoles - I have two types, Sorbothane's, softish and to do with cushioning and Superfeet, mainly, as I understand it to do with stability. I also have a pair of Happy Feet, again to do with stability. I have interchanged them in my running shoes and from my experience to date, I like the Happy Feet and the Superfeet best of all. The ground is hard at the moment and I run along a footpath which is uneven due to cows being let loose in the field earlier in the year, their footprints have left all sorts of hard edges to navigate. The Happy Feet and the Superfeet are much better at dealing with the hard ground than my Sorbothane's are.

Socks - I own three different pairs of Bridgestone socks, one pair works really well when I wear my Superfeet and Happy Feet, as my foot bends and flexes as each foot lands on the uneven ground there is no sliding inside my shoes. The other two, however, are not comfortable because they both allow my feet to slide with either type of insoles in place, not good if I want to keep my ankles and ligaments safe from over flexing injuries. My problem is that I have no idea when I buy some new Bridgestone socks, which are the models that slide and which are the ones that don't? All I can think of at the moment is to wait until I can take my 'good' Bridgestone socks into a shop and then try to decide what to buy by 'feel?' That could mean a long time wait?

When it rains next I going to experiment in a similar way with my hiking boots, insoles, and socks. Until now I've always felt that for hiking the Sorbothane's are better (I'm going to check this again) and I'm going to apply myself to see if the socks matter as much when I walk as they do when I run?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Socks and Insoles
« Reply #1 on: 21:05:13, 26/04/20 »
I thought Bridgestone made tyres?
You post shows how different we are.  I tried your favourite Sorbothane insole once.  It felt so soft and comfortable when I set off that I thought you were on to something.  7 miles later they had become so bad that I threw them in the bin and finished with no insoles.  My feet prefer a fairly firm gel insoles such as Sidas.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:10:10, 26/04/20 »
Bog standard insoles that come with the boots/shoes for me, never had any problems so far.  As for socks I have a couple of different weights and thicknesses depending on boot or shoe I'm intending to wear.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

watershed

« Reply #3 on: 23:59:34, 26/04/20 »
IMHO unless you have medically diagnosed biomechanical problems then if the insole supplied with the shoe or boot is thought to be inadequate you are buying the wrong shoe or boot.
Its like buying a car then having to change the seats and suspension for every day use. Absolute nonsense.

Someone has found a niche to make money out of the gullible with this one I am afraid. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:25:53, 27/04/20 »
A bit more like changing the tyres because the current ones are worn or for better performance. Some of the cheaper brands of boot have cheap insoles that just aren’t good enough and can be improved.  In the longer term, even in good boots the insoles can be become worn or lose resilience.  If you have a set of boots that have done over 1000 miles, just pull out the insoles and have a look.
Problems such as Plantar Fasciitis can also be helped with a better insole.
In my experience, a good pair of boots will probably need around 2 additional sets of insoles in their lifetime before the boots themselves need resoling.
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #5 on: 08:54:55, 27/04/20 »
A bit more like changing the tyres because the current ones are worn or for better performance. Some of the cheaper brands of boot have cheap insoles that just aren’t good enough and can be improved.  In the longer term, even in good boots the insoles can be become worn or lose resilience.  If you have a set of boots that have done over 1000 miles, just pull out the insoles and have a look.
Problems such as Plantar Fasciitis can also be helped with a better insole.
In my experience, a good pair of boots will probably need around 2 additional sets of insoles in their lifetime before the boots themselves need resoling.

My boots are coming up to 1000 miles as we speak. insoles still good. Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid.
5th or 6th pair now and never had insole problems. That is why I changed from Scarpa boots. IMHO if you cant get the basics right like insoles, why buy.
You make my point with the "cheaper boot " Comment, as you are buying Sub standard and then trying to improve it. Why not just buy fit for purpose. Although my boots retail at £145, they can be had for £105 if you shop around. How cheap is cheap.
And yes I agree if there is a medical condition some adjustments may need to be made.
Some mediocre insoles I see can be bought for under £10, but I see Super feet go for £20-£35.
I appreciate that some people may unknowingly buy a  substandard boot, Once, and have to replace an insole after it fails, but surely that would be a one off occurrence, as they would change to a better standard of boot next time.
I gather some people, without a medical condition, consciously buy a substandard boot then fit with a new insole for example super feet.
Incredible!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:05:34, 27/04/20 »
If you have the right kind of feet and the right kind of gait you can get lucky.  I weari Altberg boots which are are not cheap end.  According to the website, they offer with a choice of 9 footbeds but I believe the black Combat/Trek Airgrid is the standard fit.  When I got my first pair of Altbergs, I too was happy with the insoles but in time they started to look worn so as an experiment I tried Sidas and they felt even better so I stuck with them.  Eventually they too became worn and lost some of their bounce so I had a 7 mile flirtation with Sorbothane but while they felt great at first, my feet soon became very uncomfortable indeed, so I binned them and put another pair of Sidas, which are ideal for my feet.  At around the 2200 mile mark my boots needed resoling so I asked the factory to fit Svartz at the same time.  They feel fine too and are now my spare boots.
While my boots were away, I acquired a second pair of Altbergs which also have the Airgrid bed.  These have done 570 miles and the original footbed is fine at present.  When it becomes compressed and worn I will swap it out for the Sidas insole I removed when I sent the first pair off to be resoled.  When the boots finally go away for resoling, I will swap to my reserve pair.
It is just my personal experience but I find footbeds do not last as long as the boots, even quality boots and I have worked my way through a few pairs in my lifetime.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:56:59, 27/04/20 »
I wear Altberg boots which are are not cheap end.  According to the website, they offer with a choice of 9 footbeds but I believe the black Combat/Trek Airgrid is the standard fit.

Previously they fitted the Original Airgrid in all Altberg walking/hiking boots (originally green but now grey). These were reasonable quality for a factory supplied footbed.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/standard-footbeds2/altberg-original-airgrid-footbed-grey1

The last 2 pairs of boots I bought were Malham and Nordkapp (April & May 2019) and both were supplied with what they now call Jorvic Airtech fitted as standard. In my opinion a complete step backwards with very poor build quality and very cheaply made.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/standard-footbeds2/altberg-airtech-footbed1

Since my last purchase it's possible that they may have changed what they now supply as standard to the Combat/Trek Airgrid as you suggest.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/standard-footbeds2/combattrek-airgrid-footbed-black

As you would expect I have replaced the factory supplied footbeds in both pairs with Sidas 3D Comfort Mid in the the Malhams and Superfeet Green in the Nordkapps and I honestly can't tell the difference between these two footbeds when the boots are on my feet.

Like you I also tried the Sorbothane Double Strikes for a brief period after seeing many people recommending them on here and elsewhere and to say I was not impressed is an understatement. Very heavy with absolutely no foot support whatsoever.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:05:40, 27/04/20 »
My problem is that I have no idea when I buy some new Bridgestone socks, which are the models that slide and which are the ones that don't? All I can think of at the moment is to wait until I can take my 'good' Bridgestone socks into a shop and then try to decide what to buy by 'feel?' That could mean a long time wait?

Post a photo of the good socks as it may be possible to identify the Bridgedale model from the colour combination/pattern. You should be aware that in late 2018 Bridgedale changed the model names of all their socks which has completely confused themselves, the retailers and most importantly their loyal paying customers. Not the smartest of ideas in my opnion.
« Last Edit: 10:25:12, 28/04/20 by kinkyboots »

watershed

« Reply #9 on: 13:53:45, 27/04/20 »
Looks like I hit it lucky with the  Salomon boots and insoles.
I must admit I wouldn't have persisted with the Altbergs as you have.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:00:46, 27/04/20 »
Looks like I hit it lucky with the  Salomon boots and insoles.
I must admit I wouldn't have persisted with the Altbergs as you have.
I used to think like you at one time.  You think you are comfortable until you find something better.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:35:09, 27/04/20 »
Sorry about 'Bridgestone,' it should be Bridgedale. Whilst in lockdown I've decided to really have a go at updating some of my gear. My boots are fine but a few of my socks are not as good as I would like them to be. I have various pairs, makes and types of socks and nowadays I wear them mostly when at home, I keep the non-slip ones for hiking. At the moment I have one pair of 'non-slip' Bridgedale socks but I would like two pairs. I'm happy to buy a different make but I don't want to buy 'slippery' socks again but I can't decide how, by just looking at a screen, which might be the 'slippery' ones?

I now know that both types of insole work the same when I wear 'slippery' socks. This morning to to test for myself again, I went running and wore my Superfeet insoles and one 'slippery' sock on my left foot and a non-slippy one on my right foot. On hard ground, stepping on tree roots and jumping over things I find the difference very noticeable.

I've always been happy wearing Sorbothane's because when I hike I like the cushioning effect at my heel in particular, but I'm not so keen to run in them. I haven't worn my Superfeet or Happy Feet in my boots for some time but will give them another go and hopefully this will be soon?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:49:29, 28/04/20 »
At the moment I have one pair of 'non-slip' Bridgedale socks but I would like two pairs. I'm happy to buy a different make but I don't want to buy 'slippery' socks again but I can't decide how, by just looking at a screen, which might be the 'slippery' ones?

I hate to have to state the obvious but nobody can help you with finding the 'non slippery' Bridgedale socks you mention unless you take the time and trouble to actually read the responses provided so far and post the photo requested.

Post a photo of the good socks as it may be possible to identify the Bridgedale model from the colour combination/pattern. You should be aware that in late 2018 Bridgedale changed the model names of all their socks which has completely confused themselves, the retailers and most importantly their loyal paying customers. Not the smartest of ideas in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 10:25:47, 28/04/20 by kinkyboots »

watershed

« Reply #13 on: 10:22:57, 28/04/20 »
I used to think like you at one time.  You think you are comfortable until you find something better.

Yes I was lucky to get such a comfy boot without the hassle you have had to go through.
The Altbergs look heavy, but the selection of different widths will be handy for people who have problems.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:20:28, 30/04/20 »
This might help you to translate the Pre Late 2018 Bridgedale sock model names to the new Bridgdale sock model names.

https://www.bridgedale.com/new-sock-names

The colours of the new sock model names may have changed but as far as I know the composition of them remains unchanged.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy