Author Topic: Offa's Dyke 2017  (Read 10469 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Offa's Dyke 2017
« on: 18:14:36, 11/02/17 »
Have more or less decided that this will be our LDW this year, probably either in mid May or early June. Only in very early planning stages. We have just ordered the Trailblazer guide as we used that on the Pennine Way last year and found it easy to follow. Initially we were going to do S to N as that seems the traditional way to do it, but Prestatyn doesn't sound very inviting to end in, so may consider N to S. The deciding factor may be whether we drive or get the train (from Suffolk).

We would be B&B ing and would need our bags transferred. Even if I wanted to carry everything, I'm not sure if I could now, as have had a shoulder injury since the PW which is only now getting better. I know Offas dyke has a lack of baggage transfer companies but Understand that B&Bs often offer a taxi service.  I think we will be aiming to do it over about 12 days (our PW was 19 days walking). Any tips or B&B recommendations would be gratefully received! 😄

Sussamb - I have found your TR and will have a closer read of it later.

Sue

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's Dyke 2017
« Reply #1 on: 18:52:37, 11/02/17 »
I did it north to south partly for the reasons you mention, just note the second day over the Clwydian hills is tough going ;)

If you need any more details about the b&b's I used just let me know, I have a list of all their contact details.
« Last Edit: 19:05:09, 11/02/17 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Pura Vida

« Reply #2 on: 22:55:08, 11/02/17 »
In Autumn 2015 I found it hard to get "on route" accommodation between Llangollen and Bodfari. The numbers that I tried in Llandegla had stopped providing accommodation. Just a heads up

Enjoy the walk, I have the bit between Knighton and Chirk to complete.
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:41:03, 12/02/17 »
I struggled there too ... campsite here if that helps http://www.llynrhyscampsite.co.uk/
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:40:10, 12/02/17 »
I really enjoyed the bit from Chepstow to Weshpool in particular. I had good weather (it was June) but in some sections, first thing in the morning, I had to trudge through some really wet and long grass. My gaiters worked but I still got  wet knees but they were 'good' wet knees. Offas Dyke is a special memory for me, it was the first hike that I attempted a few weeks after I had my prostate gland removed due to cancer. Although on reflection I now know that I wasn't 100% well enough, (I thought I was at the start) the hike quickly highlighted for me that I didn't then have total control of my bladder, downhill stretches were the worst. I did however spend a lot of time en route doing pelvic floor exercises! Some very nice villages and small towns on the way. A few weeks later and I was totally back to normal!

I camped and the one place I remember most was a large old Mansion, now a hotel and restaurant with loads of mobile homes in the grounds. My camping site was fantastic, on a tennis court sized manicured lawn and by the side of a small ornamental lake. It were grand! I arrived, erected my tent, got organised and a passing groundsman in his golf caddy type truck gave me a lift to the hotel front door. I had a great meal there, with wine! I kept off the beer that night.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:56:12, 12/02/17 »
Mellington Hall...good wine list as I recall O0
Some accommodation thoughts from when I did it...theslowwalkeryorkblogspot.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:58:49, 12/02/17 »
Sorry, theslowwalkeryork.blogspot.co.uk

czelnick

« Reply #7 on: 22:10:22, 12/02/17 »
Did Offas Dyke in 2012:  walkingoffasdyke.blogspot.com for pictures and notes

Great walk, I would do it again, with better raingear- i.e. we are wearing Paramo now and it is wonderful.

We used Drover Holidays as a booking agent for this walk and for Pembrokeshire in 2013;  and they were wonderful.

jea_p

« Reply #8 on: 13:43:52, 13/02/17 »
I did North South in 12 days and referred to the trailblazer too. It's pretty well signposted so didn't have much issue finding my way. I had the benefit of a support vehicle so had more flexibility with my accommodation. In one of the villages there is a really nice B & B two steps off the path. I'll try and dig out my itinerary and get back to you.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:46:35, 13/02/17 »
I did OD some years ago South - North over 11 days with a day off in Knighton, although that was unnecessary.
It is interesting that the height gain per mile is more than the Pennine Way, due traveling across the grain of land rather along it.
I have a free entry to this years OD Ultra race in September. I doubt I will finish as the cut off's are tight with an overall time deadline of 3 days 18 hours. I am thinking of starting and trying to reach the first 3 or 4 Checkpoints in time, then withdraw and finish it at my own pace.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:45:50, 13/02/17 »
This is an interesting stat Dave; about 160 feet mile I reckon? At least as important a gauge of a walk as mileage. Am I right in thinking the PW is about 130 feet per mile and the C2C about the same. They are all different. On the PW you get up biggish slopes and stay up there. The C2C has sharp hilly bits interspersed with flat stuff. I found ODP to be pretty comfortable as the undulations are fairly constant but fairly small. Slightly harder work for a while about 8 miles north of Knighton, but overall a lovely walk even though there is a lot of farmland.
The telling stat for me this year is 190 feet per mile for the 430 miles of the SWCP so far and I think it heads towards 200 for the last leg due for me at least In May. If there is a cliff or sheer wall of rock this path heads for it! Stunning views but hard work.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:07:48, 16/02/17 »
Yeah John, The OD is often regarded as a good route for novices and described as easy in some publications. That is misleading and I'm sure anyone that has done it would agree. Although I haven't done much in the way of coastal walking, I have always it in regard as one of the most strenuous especially down South West, Wales, parts of Cumbria and Scotland.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:29:06, 16/02/17 »
The OD is often regarded as a good route for novices and described as easy in some publications. That is misleading and I'm sure anyone that has done it would agree.

Must say my memory says the OD was easier than the PW, so I'm surprised at the stats.  Having said that I wouldn't describe either as easy  O0
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:47:42, 16/02/17 »

Thanks all for help so far.

I did it north to south partly for the reasons you mention, just note the second day over the Clwydian hills is tough going ;)

Harder than Edale to Crowden?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:49:11, 16/02/17 »
I struggled there too ... campsite here if that helps http://www.llynrhyscampsite.co.uk/

We haven't got a tent!  ;D ;D :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy