Author Topic: A Valley and a Col at Wasdale head  (Read 1431 times)

MarkT

A Valley and a Col at Wasdale head
« on: 12:52:26, 06/03/20 »
I've always enjoyed going to The Lakes this time of year. I love the snow capped fells and it's a lot quieter. Arriving on the Wednesday at Wasdale Head NT Campsite, I pitched up and straight away went out to explore.

Looking up Wast Water towards the snowy fells of Yewbarrow, Kirk Fell and Lingmell.

After an 8 hour drive from Essex I didn't fancy anything too strenuous so I went up the track towards Burnthwaite and carried on over bridge and headed up the valley between Great Gable and Lingmell.

Looking up towards Great End and then turning round to look back at Yewbarrow and Red Pike

A leisurely walk back to the pub and then back to the tent, an early night and I was ready for the next day. I wanted to go up to Beck Head, the col between Kirk Fell and Great Gable. Then if possible keep following the Moses Trod track and head over to Haystacks. (a different route to try)

This was what I was facing and was a little apprehensive as I only have snow grips and poles, no crampons or ice axes......How bad could it be?

You can just make out the feint Moses Trod path running up the side of Great Gable parallel to Gable Beck. I reached the snow at about 1500ft and decided to put the snow grips on, not sure if they helped as the snow was getting deeper but the views got better.

Looking back down to Wasdale head and Wast Water and then higher up looking across to Lingmell and The Scafells

Managed to get to the col, occasionally losing the path and being knee deep in snow at times but well worth the effort

Looking across Beck Head Tarn to Kirk Fell and Rib End and then looking over the Ennerdale Valley toward the High Style range and Haystacks

The drop down following the path looked steep and to be honest I didn't fancy it but just getting the views was good enough, I took in the views and had a sandwich looking at Green Gable

Descended exactly the same way down, following my own footprints and avoiding the ones where I went wrong coming up!! Even though no summit 2 good walks and still got above 2000ft with some brilliant views. A great start to my holiday.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: A Valley and a Col at Wasdale head
« Reply #1 on: 13:12:53, 06/03/20 »
Superb winter pics O0
Love the one looking down to Wastwater from Moses trod
Not jealous at all ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:16:21, 06/03/20 »
Great wintry landscapes and views  O0

We too find it difficult to judge the conditions regarding shoe Microspikes or crampons etc., we just don't attempt anything obviously technical.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:17:39, 06/03/20 »
Lovely pics and very jealous - my last three trips have been viewless! 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:27:10, 06/03/20 »
Gorgeous photos of magnificent mountains at their best.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

myxpyr

« Reply #5 on: 19:05:45, 06/03/20 »
Great pics. Thanks for sharing O0 O0 O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:43:01, 07/03/20 »
Great pics. Thanks for sharing O0 O0 O0
And a "me too" to that!
Excellent and evocative photos.
Skip

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:05:53, 08/03/20 »
Lovely pics  O0
Hate will never win

myxpyr

« Reply #8 on: 18:14:47, 08/03/20 »
I've always enjoyed going to The Lakes this time of year. I love the snow capped fells and it's a lot quieter. Arriving on the Wednesday at Wasdale Head NT Campsite, I pitched up and straight away went out to explore...
Your post was a pleasant reminder of my very first trip to the Lakes at Easter 1986. Having spent the night at Ambleside YHA I got the bus to the ODG from where I headed to Wasdale Head via Rossett Ghyll and Angle Tarn. I was in completely new territory and there was a good snow cover when I reached the top of Rossett Ghyll. A very enjoyable night camping outside the pub and a good few pints added to the experience. The next day saw me on a low level stroll to Boot and back.
The following day took me to Black Sail Pass and down to Buttermere. Then it was a high route to Seatoller and down to Stonethwaite.
From there I headed up and over Greenup Edge to finish at Grasmere.

The icing on the cake was next day's ascent of Helvellyn in fantastic snow conditions with a traverse to Dollywaggon Pike(what a delightful name) and back down to Grasmere.
Happy days

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:49:55, 08/03/20 »
Beautiful!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:10:28, 09/03/20 »
Nice one mark O0
Great pics, it's good to get out in the snow
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

MarkT

« Reply #11 on: 10:48:23, 10/03/20 »
Thanks for reading and your comments

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:30:52, 13/03/20 »
Super photos Mark O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy