Author Topic: Pennine Way meets Teesdale Way at Middleton in Teesdale  (Read 1481 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Off to walk north of river heading eastwards, along Teesdale Way.
This is so different from walking south of river westwards on PW!

Start on old stone pathway, which heads along riverside and through woods, then going down valleys on lots of wooden steps over bridges up steps along riverbank then up and down loads more wee valleys ending up by a large arched bridge in an open field
Tees is wide fast flowing.

Fishermen reckon there are loads of fish being caught, mainly brown trout... notice the stone columns!
Tree roots just about holding Bankside together.

Looking back westwards along route walked

Looking southwards towards Pennine Way route over top to Middleton
Due to Bridleway heading into a field with massive bulls decided to give it a miss, crossed field towards road which ended up in a slurry pond, better option!

Egglesburn post, turnaround point

Unusual signs

Inky black peaty waters

Back to Pennine Way

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way meets Teesdale Way at Middleton in Teesdale
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:55, 03/09/20 »
Nice pics. Please tell me that wasn't this morning.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:48:19, 03/09/20 »
Nice pics. Please tell me that wasn't this morning.
It wasn't this morning... early afternoon!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:04:51, 03/09/20 »
Nice looking walk that  :)   Can't beat a bit of river/stream/babbling brook walking.

Love the first pic of the stone pathway through the trees  O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:14:30, 03/09/20 »
Nice looking walk that  :)   Can't beat a bit of river/stream/babbling brook walking.

Love the first pic of the stone pathway through the trees  O0

Enjoy following our local rivers along... Weardale, Teesdale and Tynedale, all very different with different geology; Weardale has a long mining history which has left it's mark on the landscape all the way up. Only a few miles along Tees today but enjoyed it.

Thanks Mel, first pic has captured the scene well.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:09:30, 04/09/20 »
Nice pics Dodgylegs  O0  I did a few walks from Middleton In Teesdale when I lived in the north east, it is a lovely place for walking  O0
Hate will never win

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:38:58, 04/09/20 »

Enjoy following our local rivers along... Weardale, Teesdale and Tynedale, all very different with different geology; Weardale has a long mining history which has left it's mark on the landscape all the way up. Only a few miles along Tees today but enjoyed it.

Thanks Mel, first pic has captured the scene well.

I have walked the full length of the Tyne Wear and Tees and they make for some great walking
The contrast between the coastal towns and the wild areas near the source is amazing
The Tees is perhaps the most contrasted but not having walked much of the lower sections I really enjoyed that river.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:17:32, 04/09/20 »
Nice. Even the places name is nice.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:26:31, 04/09/20 »

I have walked the full length of the Tyne Wear and Tees and they make for some great walking
The contrast between the coastal towns and the wild areas near the source is amazing
The Tees is perhaps the most contrasted but not having walked much of the lower sections I really enjoyed that river.

Interested to know how you undertook your walks, all in one go or in stages? I'm a day walker who eventually got around to using bus/train up the Tyne Valley as part of the adventures. Have to walk length of Kielder Water to complete the Tynes (so naive I didn't know there were two!) Sort of stumbled across walking the Tees, hoped to have finished Tyne Way, Hadrians Way and North section of Pennine Way before committing to any more, although not too far to travel to. Any interesting tales of these walks?

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:01:19, 04/09/20 »

Interested to know how you undertook your walks, all in one go or in stages? I'm a day walker who eventually got around to using bus/train up the Tyne Valley as part of the adventures. Have to walk length of Kielder Water to complete the Tynes (so naive I didn't know there were two!) Sort of stumbled across walking the Tees, hoped to have finished Tyne Way, Hadrians Way and North section of Pennine Way before committing to any more, although not too far to travel to. Any interesting tales of these walks?

Started with the Tees
Parked at Redcar and did it in linear stretches as day walks.
The train service can be used towards Yarm and is inexpensive.
The stretches up to Middleton can be linked up by bus
After that we dumped cars at each end -extended the walk to Dufton via High Cup Nick

For the Wear we started at South Shields (not in Wearside but we  like the coast)
Again buses were useable pretty much up to Cowshill where Weardale buses operate though not sure how much the plague has changed things

For the Tyne the walk is less satisfying in some places as there seems to be some big land owners preventing much access.A land slip before Corbridge didn't help
Again the Tyne valley trains can be used to Haltwhistle but up to the source past Garrigill we had to dump cars again.
The north Tyne is virtually not possible via public transport much past Chollerford

I would also recommend the English coastal path from South Shields to Hartlepool which is a great walk easily done in stages by public transport

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:24:27, 04/09/20 »
A land slip before Corbridge didn't help.

This is the landslip...A really funny young local lass said it was passible

The Newcastle to Carlisle railway line is just on the other side of the collapsing bank. It must have blocked the river!

I would also recommend the English coastal path from South Shields to Hartlepool which is a great walk easily done in stages by public transport
Had a quick look, I've walked nearly all of this and a bit more from Blyth.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:32:26, 04/09/20 »
Yes that's the one.
Definitely not passable and even a bit of naughty trespassing wasn't on.
Had to walk all the way back to Stocksfield station and walk the road
Will cost a fortune to sort out

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:02:26, 04/09/20 »
I did a few walks from Middleton In Teesdale when I lived in the north east, it is a lovely place for walking.
The café is pretty good as well, from PW up the road on the left before the centre. Hopefully it has survived the lockdown.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:32:29, 05/09/20 »

For the Tyne the walk is less satisfying in some places as there seems to be some big land owners preventing much access.
The north Tyne is virtually not possible via public transport much past Chollerford

Looking back at my River Tyne Trail walk I remember I have a gap from Donkleywood (fantastic name!) towards river and back to road...

Didn't walk it as book said it 'could be muddy and slippery', it was terrible!... kept to road, thinking I'll do that part on a better day.
geordie33 If you can recall, How was this bit for you?
« Last Edit: 21:50:06, 05/09/20 by Dodgylegs »

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:02:27, 06/09/20 »
I don't recall any particular problem.Most of the difficulties I had were in the lower reaches around Stocksfield and Corbridge

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy