Author Topic: [Trip Report] - Old Man of Coniston  (Read 5465 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] - Old Man of Coniston
« on: 20:07:01, 06/02/08 »
Ah at last I can sit down and start my walking report for the Old Man of Coniston. A walk performed October 1st 2007, so yes it's been a long time coming.

Equipment was obviously boots, walking pole, lots of water and a very good breakfast.

Total walking distance was 8.5 miles, taking what has been described as the tourist path (not a description I'd agree with) but was later described by Wainwright being difficult and needing wings. It's definitely not the easiest route up the Old Man, but it was worth it.

Below is the route, and a quick snap I took from the car!

The weather was excellent and it's a walk that will never leave me.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:40:44, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] - Old Man of Consiton
« Reply #1 on: 20:08:05, 06/02/08 »
Part 1 - Getting lost at the start.

Ofcourse this being the Lakes we had to buy some Ginger Bread from Grassmere, which took longer than anticipated. So we arrived at Coniston later than usual. It was about 13:00 but we had plenty of daylight left and the forecast was for excellent weather. So after a quick use of the facilities we made a start.

And got lost.

Well we do it a lot, not even GPS helps, but we can manage it in any town or village you can name. So we headed towards a likely looking mountain and found a road (yes a road, not a footpath, a road) that was sooo steep mountain goats were looking at it and shaking their heads. At the bottom was the wreckage of several 4x4s so I suppose it was good for something.

Now I like to get gently warmed up on the lower slopes and this was far from that but it was a good indicator of what was to come. Still after 400 yards or so we reached a plateau and the first path that would lead us the wrong way. If you look at the map in the message above we took the path going right between Dixon and Foul Scrow, so we did a clockwise circuit.

In theory this path would take up a small ascent to join the regular footpath at Miners Bridge, but why should such a simple thing like that stand in our way? The path eventually split into several paths and we obviously took the wrong one. Now following the "never go back unless you have to" rule we plodded on through marshy land until we rejoined the regular path. So a little bit soggy but none the worse for it we followed the now obvious path past The Bell and Stubthwaite Crag.

Following this path it obvious that quarrying of some kind is continuing and that the Old Man has seen plenty of human activity. Looking up at the first of the steeper parts near Colt Crag my realisation was that this was much harder than anything I had done before and that rather than starting at several hundred meters above sea level, we started pretty much at sea level, so the full 800+ meters was to be ascended. Oh well, on we trotted until we found a place for a quick bite to eat.

Whilst eating, one of a school party passed us (the guy in the white t-shirt) streaming sweat. He paused to take a look at the summit of the Old Man and said "Oh blimey" - or something like that anyway. Made us grin at least.

This is one of the parts Wainwright complained about. Quarrying has been done here for many years, which has left lots of slippy plates of slate on the ground and it does make this approach rather hard going (it's almost likely skating up, you go a bit forward then slip a bit back). One compensation though is the remaining buildings which, though obviously ruins now, are a never ending source of surprise.

We took another pit stop at Low Water where the School Party stopped (wusses) and started the final ascent up the so called Tourists Path. This is a steep climb, thankfully fairly free of moving slate but steep and rocky enough. Still you do get a very nice view when you can sit yourself down for a minute.

So on we pressed. The climb getting steeper, I'd never hit anything like this before ever, I thought we were doing something wrong - well everyone who passed us was using this way to go down, not up! Cursing myself for under estimating the steepness I carried on up the final scramble.

Finally I could see the top, the now none existant path reared it's head again, 20m away up a 10m climb. Finally!

Then it happened.

Something I'd hoped would never happen and took every protection against that I knew.

I was sat, legs jammed in holding my position waiting for someone coming down to pass.

My tired legs caught fire, I was in huge pain as the muscles in my thighs all cramped up together.

I couldn't move.

As I sat there waiting for the pain to subside I had to think, do I call mountain rescue?
« Last Edit: 20:20:53, 19/02/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:08:16, 06/02/08 »
Part 2 - No gain without....

Pain. Yes I was in serious pain as I sat gazing at the frankly stunning view only metres from a sit down, a drink and some food. I knew I couldn't sit here forever, so it was time to either give up or make one last push.

Considering the ribbing I'd get at work for giving up this near the top, I pushed on. Making one mammoth effort I staggered up and across the top, told my mate I wasn't sure if I could go on and practically fell down on some rocks for a rest. Massaging my legs and looking at the ground I seriously felt like giving up, then I looked up and saw the full view over Coniston Water.  Absolutely breath taking, I won't say I forgot about the pain in my legs but I was distracted enough whilst the cramp eased.

Once I'd rested and eaten I borrowed my mates walking pole for the remainder of the day and very thankful I was as well for having it. We spent a good 30 minutes looking around the summit (hey look at the cairns on that one!) and drinking in the views. I'd seriously post all the pictures but I took over a hundred. Those who've been to the lakes know what I mean, if you haven't... go now it's incredible.

Refreshed and relax we headed away from the trig point towards Swirl Band and Swirl How.

This was a very nice and pleasant walk, not a twinge from my legs and of course I realise this is the route most people come up The Old Man (via Dow Crag), challenging but not really as steep or hard going as the route we'd taken. Still it was getting late and the sun was starting to go down. We had several miles to go, a GPS which was bleeping about it's battery and fading light. However we had a map with compass (and I know how to use them) and whilst we get lost in urban settings we're pretty good out in the open - that and the footpath couldn't have been more obvious if it was wearing glittery spandex. So we turned off the GPS for those difficult town sections later on and checked the map blow up was safely in my pocket.

We made good time across the Swirls until I started to cramp up again on the approach to Swirl How. With fading light however we couldn't afford to wait around but now I knew the warning signs. So at the first hint of trouble I'd plonk myself down for five minutes and make more use of the walking poles. Walking sideways also helped, even if it did look strange.

By now it was approaching 17:30 and we passed a shelter in which someone was bedding down for the night. Lucky so and so, I imagine the sun set and sun rise would be spectacular. Still we had to make town so we crossed the Prison Band and took the easy path by Swirl Hawse down to civilisation.

Passing Levers Water I couldn't believe the views from the top we'd seen earlier - looking across the lakes, being able to see the Irish Sea and now Coniston lighting up for the night. Fantastic

By the end it was dark when we got to the car, I was tired, aching like I'd never ached before and in dire need of a pint of Sheep (we stayed near Masham). Still I'd got the bug now so we'll be back, maybe taking the easy way this time.

« Last Edit: 20:30:13, 17/02/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:36:17, 06/02/08 »
The final few pictures.

At some point we'll be doing Helvellyn, sadly not via Striding Edge as me and height don't get along. Still this was a fantastic day that I'll never forget.

Joined a gym too, may help with the cramp....
« Last Edit: 20:24:30, 17/02/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:52:42, 06/02/08 »
Looking forward to Parts 2 & 3 in due course Dazza.

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:58:23, 06/02/08 »
Quite a bunch of very nice pics, there Dazza, and an interesting account.  It looks like summer!  I have only a vague recollection of what the summer was like! Was it really as good as this !?
Coniston Old Man was one of the first hills I failed to get up (quite a long time ago) - we set off much too late in the day in December, and, surprise surprise, it went dark before we got to the top.  Almost a rescue - but we managed to scutter off before anybody panicked - apart from us, that is....

But what happens next in Dazza's conquest of The Old Man?

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:56:45, 06/02/08 »
Mike,

We had a fantastic week of weather, almost like summer. Fantastic weather. there' other reports in the Yorkshire section, so you can see we had it good pretty much all the time!

2 will follow soon, 3 is mainly for the extra pictures.
Dazza
--------

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:27:16, 06/02/08 »
Ah yes, I see.... you did have a bit of a bagfest didnt you?

And I notice that you seem to have an  unhealthy obsession with gingerbread..... 

(have you tried this with instant custard by the way?)

But you're keeping us in suspense....

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:15:16, 06/02/08 »
We did. It was a good week.

Well Grassmere gingerbread is special, not tried it with custard though.

Suspense? Well yes. Takes it out of you this writing lark....
Dazza
--------

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:31:37, 17/02/08 »
All done.
Dazza
--------

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:51:59, 17/02/08 »
Nice story, good pics, fab stuff....... do more!
 O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:56:52, 17/02/08 »
Oh I will mike, I will.

Dazza
--------

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:59:06, 17/02/08 »
Just noticed your Curbar post too - suddenly the board springs into life. I can barely keep up!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:01:27, 17/02/08 »
Well you now how it is. I've had loads on, moving, moving again. Not had time to walk anywhere interesting. Still the year is young
Dazza
--------

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:24:13, 31/03/08 »
Hi Dazza.., Excellent trip report and fantastic photo's, well done pal. when are you doing Helvellyn? or have you already done it?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy