Author Topic: The Less Joyous Aspects of Walking  (Read 5604 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: The Less Joyous Aspects of Walking
« Reply #30 on: 19:55:26, 06/09/19 »
Better to be an eternal optimist than an unmitigated pessimist. The pessimist is always depressed about something that is about to go wrong. If he is proved right then it is a disaster and if things turn out well, he is grumpy because he was wrong.  ;D

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:57:17, 06/09/19 »
Better to be an eternal optimist than an unmitigated pessimist. The pessimist is always depressed about something that is about to go wrong. If he is proved right then it is a disaster and if things turn out well, he is grumpy because he was wrong.  ;D
Bahh humbug >:( ......... ;)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:00:23, 06/09/19 »
On the other hand a bit of pessimism is a good survival tool.  I expect things to go wrong so, as Mrs N will tell you, I always have plans A, B, C and perhaps D plus a "Church Hall if wet" plan if everything goes to worms.  I take stick for it from the family but they have had occasion to be grateful.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:07:30, 06/09/19 »
I enjoyed the OP's good-humoured 'rant'.  Much of it strikes a chord!  But I prefer cyclists to ring their bell rather than coming past me without warning.  Two irritations I'd add are noisy people and gates that are a struggle to open and shut. This year my thumb got caught in a gate latch and I ended up losing my nail.

But whatever the annoyances I come across, they are far outweighed by the tremendous enjoyment I get from walking.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:43:24, 06/09/19 »
My trouble is cyclists.  When they come up behind me and ping their bell - I keep thinking I have just had an email on my phone.

I've been doing quite a bit of cycling this year, both on and off road. I got told off by a very irate woman on the Glen Ogle trail, I'd shouted "Hello" but didn't ring my bell. "haven't you got a bell! you're supposed to have one you know".

I've found most dog walkers do actually say "thanks for the bell".

Again on the Glen Ogle trail, I came across a large group of people walking towards me and completely filling the track. I moved to one side but they didn't move over to let me get by, so I stopped. One man was walking along starring at his phone, he actually walked right into me and didn't even see me. He just walked off still starring at his phone, didn't utter a word. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:42:02, 06/09/19 »
On the other hand a bit of pessimism is a good survival tool.  I expect things to go wrong so, as Mrs N will tell you, I always have plans A, B, C and perhaps D plus a "Church Hall if wet" plan if everything goes to worms.  I take stick for it from the family but they have had occasion to be grateful.
We optimists have plans A, B and C. That way we know we have a lot to be positive about.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:20:33, 06/09/19 »
Real optimists expect everything to be fine so they don't need a plan beyond A
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 23:13:42, 06/09/19 »
Real optimists expect everything to be fine so they don't need a plan beyond A
Those are fantasists, not optimists. True optimists are realists, but understand that we can make a difference. I am optimistic on a hike because I go well prepared, not just because I hope everything will be OK as I wander across the Cairngorm plateau in mid winter wearing my Speedos.

strawy

« Reply #38 on: 01:50:16, 07/09/19 »
Real walkers just get on with it...
Stop whinging..
A 2 B with little fuss,no how "big" am i...
We all encounter problems on our ways...
Out n about is 100% better than being laid up..
End of the day,a short diversion is better than an incident..
ROW does not mean a safe way..
Dogs,nettles,cows,ploughed fields,all of these things are,in my mind,part of the adventure..
Sure,i dont want to get bitten,2 cases of my trousers being "nipped",not my fault,very wary now..
« Last Edit: 02:12:31, 07/09/19 by strawy »

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:17:34, 07/09/19 »
Reading this thread makes me feel pleased I have a life long condition, that has been life-threatening at times.

It puts all those little niggles away in a box somewhere in your head, so you can enjoy just the simple pleasure of walking this earth  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Thedogsmother

« Reply #40 on: 22:45:45, 03/10/19 »
I'm a pessimist. Not only is my glass half empty, it's cracked and it's got a dead wasp in it...

I thought the post was a great read. My biggest annoyance is cyclists dinging when what they mean is 'I've got absolutely no intention of slowing down' When you've got to corral several under fives into single file you need more than 3 seconds notice!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:39:18, 04/10/19 »
Those are fantasists, not optimists. True optimists are realists, but understand that we can make a difference. I am optimistic on a hike because I go well prepared, not just because I hope everything will be OK as I wander across the Cairngorm plateau in mid winter wearing my Speedos.
Pllleeease dont..reminded me of the naked hiker guy..what happened to him..one winter too many?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 09:16:11, 04/10/19 »
Pllleeease dont..reminded me of the naked hiker guy..what happened to him..one winter too many?
I saw him in the Quantocks a few weeks back. So did my wife!  :coolsmiley:
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:31:15, 04/10/19 »
I saw him in the Quantocks a few weeks back. So did my wife!  :coolsmiley:
Still no clothes ?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:03:29, 04/10/19 »
Still no clothes ?

How else would you recognise him ?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy