Author Topic: Backpacking Tents on loan?  (Read 1827 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Backpacking Tents on loan?
« Reply #15 on: 18:05:40, 20/09/20 »
...However, a full silnylon tent usually costs several times as much (and I don't want to talk about Dyneema Composite Fabric...)

I bought a brand new full silnylon tent for £129 recently.
https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek
Not the quickest or easiest tent to pitch, and it is inner first, but I've been out in some pretty wild conditions recently, and it is a real toughie.

PS - stunning photos there, by the way. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:26:31, 20/09/20 »

I bought a brand new full silnylon tent for £129 recently.
https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek
Not the quickest or easiest tent to pitch, and it is inner first, but I've been out in some pretty wild conditions recently, and it is a real toughie.

PS - stunning photos there, by the way. O0

I think only the flysheet is silnylon (groundsheet is PU-coated polyester). But it is amazing value! It would probably be my pick too for that money!  

Btw: personally I wouldn't care at all if it is pitched inner first. When it rains it takes you only a few minutes to mob-up the few drops that get inside while pitching, and in warm dry weather you have the advantage that you can use the tent without the fly, which is much cooler while still enjoying full bug protection.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:57:19, 20/09/20 »

I think only the flysheet is silnylon (groundsheet is PU-coated polyester). But it is amazing value! It would probably be my pick too for that money!

Btw: personally I wouldn't care at all if it is pitched inner first. When it rains it takes you only a few minutes to mob-up the few drops that get inside while pitching, and in warm dry weather you have the advantage that you can use the tent without the fly, which is much cooler while still enjoying full bug protection.

I've not found inner pitching in the rain to be a problem in practice, but some people get very excited about it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:48:08, 20/09/20 »
My Marmot Pulsar is not a problem, I can pitch the inner first or outer first depending on the weather. If I have to pitch the outer first, the rest of it involves a bit of wiggling about but better than getting wet.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:01:06, 20/09/20 »
Oh!  Thank you all for the replies – lots of food for thought  :)

Richard – I’ve no plans to do winter camping.  Like my campsite camping, fair weather only (well, warm weather anyway).

Little Foot – how have you found your Zeph 2 tent?  That’s a very kind offer by the way.

MarkT – that’s interesting.  I’ve just had a quick looksee at that site and am surprised at the prices – much cheaper than I expected.

Gunwharfman – another very kind offer.

For those suggesting I buy a cheap tent and sell on if I don’t take to it, I’m shying away from doing that as I’m not a fan of online selling and I already have (a la gunwharfman) too much stuff I don’t use or have upgraded or shrunk out of.

I’m not overly concerned about the type of tent at the moment as it’s the “wild camping experience” I want to see if I like, first and foremost but if I find I do I will look into the suggested tents – thank you.

FOX160

« Reply #20 on: 00:36:59, 21/09/20 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:46:45, 21/09/20 »
Try these https://www.outdoorhire.co.uk/camp.php

Interesting link, FOX. Actually not a bad price for someone wanting to try it out, especially the weekly hire. You have to allow extra for shipping, I suppose.

Little Foot

« Reply #22 on: 17:32:50, 21/09/20 »

Little Foot – how have you found your Zeph 2 tent?  That’s a very kind offer by the way.

I’ve only used it once for a two nighter with my son, but it was fine for us. I’m only small so those of a taller stature might struggle with headroom. I was able to tuck the two rucksacks into the porch area down the side of the tent too.

I’ve bought a Naturehike Mongar 2 for our next trip, which I have put up in the garden, but not actually had a night out in yet. That one is easier to put up than the Zeph, but I’ve read the tunnel design is better for windier areas. I’m keeping the Zeph for any solo trips.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy