Author Topic: ROW?  (Read 1028 times)

Toxicbunny

ROW?
« on: 21:34:05, 20/09/20 »
I use OS explorer app while I'm out and about on moors.  I've forgot how to an attach an image so I hope I can explain it. Basically there are black dashed likes doubled together that looks like a path. Are these ROW. They tend to be tracks over the moors.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: ROW?
« Reply #1 on: 22:11:25, 20/09/20 »
Black dashed parallel lines are a track but are not necessarily a ROW. If they are not also marked as a ROW then they will only be so if on open access land.
Having said that you can look at them and decide if to use them or not, some tracks look much more private than others.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #2 on: 22:16:07, 20/09/20 »
Hi
They are on the moors UK. I usually do use them if I need to get across.  I wasn't sure as they are not listed on my map legend.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:17:48, 20/09/20 »
Which moor?

Toxicbunny

« Reply #4 on: 22:24:33, 20/09/20 »
I have the OS app its commondale north yorkshire moors.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:32:18, 20/09/20 »
I usually do use them if I need to get across.  I wasn't sure as they are not listed on my map legend.

I don't know about the OS app but in the Legend on paper maps it's at the bottom of the roads, with the explanation 'Other road, drive or track'.
It's easily missed because the illustration in question shows road, track and then back to road, all in one.

As far as I'm concerned if a track doesn't have a Private, Keep Out or No Access sign at the start of it, then I'll walk on it, unless it becomes apparent it's leading to a property or something similar.
« Last Edit: 22:36:30, 20/09/20 by fernman »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:32:56, 20/09/20 »
It looks to be all open access so, within reason, you can go where ever you want. Enjoy.
Outside of open access land they would only be ROW if they were also marked as such.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:38:32, 20/09/20 »
I don't know about the OS app but in the Legend on paper maps it's at the bottom of the roads, with the explanation 'Other road, drive or track'.
It's easily missed because the illustration in question shows road, track and then back to road, all in one.
For info. On the OS app the map legend is under menu, near  the bottom, under the support heading, confusingly marked Map Legend. Opening it gives a choice of 25k, 50k or Greenspace. Opening the appropriate legend gives you a free eyesight test. It is the same as the paper version in presentation.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:26:53, 21/09/20 »
As far as I'm concerned if a track doesn't have a Private, Keep Out or No Access sign at the start of it, then I'll walk on it, unless it becomes apparent it's leading to a property or something similar.

Though I did come unstuck in Wales eighteen months ago.
I somehow missed a footpath that descended the hills to the village where I had left my car, but there was a good track that wound its way down the slopes.
After I had happily trudged along the track for about three-quarters of a mile, it rounded a bend where there was a five bar gate with a Private notice, and a house end-on to one side.
It was clear that the continuation of the track on the other side of the gate was the house's drive, and logically this would lead to a road in the village, so I took a deep breath, went through the gate and tiptoed down the drive until I was on public tarmac.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:57:51, 21/09/20 »

My attitude is much the same as Fernman's. Often the Origin point and Destination of a right of way and a track are the same yet the route they take is different. On Moorland this often to do with the availability of earth moving equipment. The old way of finding the best way up a hill was to find a female donkey, or was it a mule or an ass, in heat and take it to the top of a hill, then stake out the trail that a male of the species took to get too the top. The ex-WD bulldozers after after WW2 did away with the need to follow a canny animal.

There are many other reasons why people walked across Moorland, not enough thought is put into how the occupiers of countryside create new tracks and how the could serve the dual purpose of agriculture, other leisure pursuits and walking. The occupiers have had 20 years, if not more in being brainwashed, that de facto use will result in the creation of a RoW.

If more willingness was allowed to merge uses and alter the temerity, as expressed by the OP Toxibunny perhaps we might see an access network that could grow with the times.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:22:20, 21/09/20 »
Shooters’ tracks in the North Pennines are a two edged sword.  On the one hand they offer additional access routes and a rapid means of progress, on the other, ther are an eyesore and are hard on the feet.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:06:23, 21/09/20 »
On the other hand they can be used by horse riders sometime tempted by walkers trails and responsible for cutting them up. The leisure horse trade is growing beyond the females of the manor being the main equestrian traffic and being granted special favours.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #12 on: 14:32:57, 21/09/20 »
@ninthace I think they are shooters tracks but I've never seen a keep off sign. The only signs I see on the moors is keep dogs on leash which I do. I use them if I need to cut across the moors safely.

Eyelet

« Reply #13 on: 21:57:25, 22/09/20 »
As Ridge and Ninthace say, the tracks on Commondale are mostly there to serve the needs of grouse shooting. Since the moor is all open access land (you can tell because it it shaded a pale orangey-brown and has a deeper orange margin), you are allowed to go anywhere, including walking along these tracks, subject to certain conditions, see: https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/use-your-right-to-roam.

However, taking a dog with you is not quite as straightforward. You should note that Landowners can legally exclude people with dogs from land managed as a grouse moor for up to 5 years at a time, except along public rights of way. You can check whether they have done this this by visiting the Natural England website and search for Commondale Moor:

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch/!ut/p/c5/tY1LDoIwFEXX4greA7GUIaCBamkVi1ImhMRPIKIMCGpXr8axToz3Ds_9QAFPn6uhPlZ9fTlXJ8ihICWPkMR2iJ5U6QwZMjnlc2ZJdJ5ckxI_yMe_treQo1OuG9ol9z7nJhxUY1a3xLCrUNokjbYTcVjuNmkW-KFdmav382PxSpCIUyuQ6OFKUGTUdWw_XiCOJ2_-ZV_El3YPGgr340_kgAIdQNdm2cBJSoU_egDusiyv/dl3/d3/L0lDU0dZcHBpZ3BSQ2dwUkNncFJDZ3BSQS9ZSVVJQUFJSU1DRUFNQUFDQ0VBTUFBS0dDRUFNQUlLT0lHQU9CSkJKRk1FQU1BQk5ETkRGTkxITEhGTFBBdkFsUEEhIS80QzFiOFVBcE1rRW9oU1pNSlFpa3lVU2pGSms0bEJJIS83X0xHMDZIMkMwOU9UUkUwSTBJT0RMSkkxT0c0LyUwanNwJTBPcGVuQWNjZXNzJTBfcmx2aWQuanNwL29hVmlld0lkL09BMDA0L19ydmlwLyUwanNwJTBPcGVuQWNjZXNzJTBNYXBTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzLmpzcC9fcmFwL3BjX01hcFNlYXJjaFJlc3VsdHNQYWdlQ29kZS5kb1JlcXVlc3RMaW5rQWN0aW9uL3NlbGVjdGVkUm93TnVtLzA!/  

Then check the map for where you intend to go. It appears that dogs are not allowed on much of the open access land on Commondale Moor. This does not apply to registered assistance dogs and dogs kept under effective control on Public Rights of Way. From: 28th May 2020 to 27th May 2025. These Natural England notices are usually prominently posted at the entrance tracks to the moor.

You might find a polite phone call or visit to the moor's Estate Office to outline where you want to go helpful, since this time of year there are no birds on their nests and the estate's issue is really about the effective running of their shoots. There is no grouse shooting on a Sunday by law.

In practice, I think that if you strayed onto a section of track with your dog on a lead because the path became lost in the heather and you met a keeper, there would not really be much of a problem, unless it was close to a shoot taking place or it was in the bird nesting season.

Viewing Google Earth or the OS aerial imaging layer may help you decide which PROW paths in the heather are actually visible and thus easily walkable. You can also create and save a GPX track using this imaging to plot where the path on the ground actually goes since it may not actually follow the green dashes shown on the map. 

Toxicbunny

« Reply #14 on: 22:21:55, 22/09/20 »
@eyeletThanks for the info I do use them and my dogs always on leash. Even if I could let him off I wouldn't on the moors too many birds and sheep.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy