Author Topic: Jacket for Scotland in the winter  (Read 4668 times)

M J B

Jacket for Scotland in the winter
« on: 22:34:19, 04/12/06 »
As title really, im after a jacket to wear over new year in the highlands to bag my first munro.

I cant find any decent websites that recommend whats what. God knows where all my old trail magazines have gone, i must stop tidying up  ;D

titaniumdude

Re: Jacket for Scotland in the winter
« Reply #1 on: 01:25:29, 07/12/06 »
Lets face it, it's gonna be cold/snowy/windy.  Or maybe non of the above. Depends on how much time you're gonna spend on the hills I suppose.  If You're camping out in the wild whilst doing this then a quilted jacket is a good idea and these are reviewed in the latest trail.  Having said that you wouldn't want one of these for the trail if its a mild winters day.   Some brands do  jackets that are multi functional (can't remember the link) with a detachable outer waterproof shell to the quilt.  These sound great though I've never used one.  I prefer to use multiple thin layers.  Polartec stuff is great for doing this and as long as your outer garment is waterproof you can make as many layers as you want underneath and adapt them to the present days climate.  rather than Buy a jacket specifically for this purpose I would adapt what I've got already ( as long a\s its wind/waterproof) by interchanging thinner midlayer fleeces for warmth.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

M J B

« Reply #2 on: 21:35:11, 10/12/06 »
I am thinking of getting a Rab latok alpine, does anyone have any views on this jacket?

Graham.r

« Reply #3 on: 19:58:23, 11/12/06 »
Not quite the same but I have a Rab neutrino and it is a) very very lightweight, and b) fantastically warm. I bought it at the OS outdoor show last March and only just started to get it out again.
Rab seems good quality

daddylonglegs

« Reply #4 on: 09:40:14, 04/01/07 »
I used to own a Latok alpine,but the side pockets always leaked through the rubberised zips!!Other than that it was a great jacket,very packable and minimal,if not a little short and er....minimal! :-\
I'd like to agree on Rab being good quality,but now its made in China,and not Sheffield I'd say it's good design.
Eventually replaced the Latok with a mammut gore tex jacket...very dry!

Maybe a Keela jacket would suit your Munro needs,after all it's what the mountain rescue teams wear,and they're even made in Scotland.
I own a Keela kandura,which in a "condensation/waterproofness(?!)" test wipes the floor with both event and gore tex,(apparently).Albeit a fairly heavy jacket similar to some Paramos,its the sort of jacket that makes you feel very protected!It also boasts the hightest amount of useful pockets.
I wore it on top of Skiddaw in a gale and it was too warm then!
There's a review of it on bluedome.co.uk.
Hope this helps

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy