Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292194 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1230 on: 16:46:01, 29/06/20 »
Just arrived... my first ever pair of trail running shoes.

They're Garmont 9.81 Grid shoes, with Michelin soles and, err, they're quite bright!  8)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1231 on: 17:16:11, 29/06/20 »
I'd love to see a pair you describe as "very bright"  ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1232 on: 17:32:47, 29/06/20 »
I'd love to see a pair you describe as "very bright"  ;D
Actually, the photo doesn't do them justice. They're more 'orangey' than they look...  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1233 on: 17:38:38, 29/06/20 »
They won't miss you in those!
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1234 on: 17:48:12, 29/06/20 »
I finally bit the bullet and internet shopped for a new set of walking shoes - my favourite shop has not come out of lockdown yet.  The shoes I was wearing had got to the point that if I had walked over a sixpence, I could have told you the date.  Mrs N has had very good service out of her Meindl Philadelphias so I ordered up a male version of the same as knowing they have quite a broad fitting.  Just finished 12 miles in them at fairly high speed trying to beat the weather.  They are a great improvement and I definitely could not tell you the date of a sixpence any more.
https://www.tauntonleisure.com/footwear-accessories/shoes/meindl-mens-philadelphia-gtx-shoe--brown__2255
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1235 on: 18:20:20, 29/06/20 »
Nice.  O0 ...and very understated!  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1236 on: 19:38:11, 29/06/20 »
Nice.  O0 ...and very understated!  ;)
Can't go wrong with basic brown!  Matches my most of my walking kit which is variations on the theme of matt brown and matt green.  Hopefully as they weather the boots will tone down a bit to match Mrs N's.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1237 on: 16:45:47, 30/06/20 »
I wore my new jacket for the first time today and I think it's excellent!

I wanted something that was very light to wear as a windbreak and was reasonably showerproof. I couldn't find anything I liked in the usual outdoor shop websites, so I looked on Sports Direct.

They had just what I wanted - an Adidas 'Own the Run' jacket reduced to £28. (I bought the cool and trendy grey version!)

The jacket is incredibly light and packs into its own zipped pocket. It worked very well this wet and breezy morning over my super thin Rab baselayer top, stopping the wind nicely and keeping my top half much drier than my legs!

It seems to me that running and cycling gear can often be more suitable for walking (and better priced) than walking gear...  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1238 on: 17:52:10, 30/06/20 »
It seems to me that running and cycling gear can often be more suitable for walking (and better priced) than walking gear...  ;)

Agreed - I use Ron Hill Tracksters for hillwalking, on their own in spring, summer and autumn, and as a baselayer under salopettes in full on winter conditions, and I have a lurid windproof Italian 'giordana' cycling jacket that is brilliant, and is so small that I can almost fit it in a pocket. Greenish fluorescent yellow - my wife hates it!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1239 on: 18:57:05, 30/06/20 »
I use a few items of my hiking gear for off-road running, my sun hat when it's sunny and hot, my poncho to run in the rain, my Alpkit warm jacket when it's cold, my hiking socks, my baselayers, my fleece, my windproof, my wrap-around wind glasses, and my hiking underwear. Except for my running shoes and one pair of Ron Hill tights and a pair of loose running trousers (I like them best of all),  I have nothing that I would call running specific.

Warbler

« Reply #1240 on: 11:10:36, 01/07/20 »
A pair of curlew waterproof walking shoes from Mountain Warehouse. £29-99 reduced from £59-99. Can't vouch for the waterproofness yet (no great expectations in that department) but, after 30 odd miles my feet are the most comfortable they've felt in a while, and my horrible feet are truly hard to please.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1241 on: 12:47:44, 01/07/20 »
Pair of Keen (womens) Clearwater sandals to replace the pair which, now in their 6th summer, are begging for retirement.

The first pair were bought originally to use when 'skiffing' down the Thames for 10 days, but I've walked many miles in them each summer since then.
http://www.skiffhire.com/   highly recommended holiday with a difference
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1242 on: 13:51:15, 01/07/20 »
Arrived this morning - a Salomon Agile 6 Backpack from SportsShoes.com. A very good price as long as you don't mind that particular colour (a sort of slightly greenish yellow!).

Little Foot

« Reply #1243 on: 17:45:27, 02/07/20 »
A pair of curlew waterproof walking shoes from Mountain Warehouse. £29-99 reduced from £59-99. Can't vouch for the waterproofness yet (no great expectations in that department) but, after 30 odd miles my feet are the most comfortable they've felt in a while, and my horrible feet are truly hard to please.

I've got a pair of Mountain Warehouse hiking boots and they've been great. Admittedly, they have been my only pair so I have nothing to compare them to, but the waterproofing has lasted years, I've never had any problems with blisters, and they give me a good solid grip.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1244 on: 08:52:17, 03/07/20 »
 Inov8 boots  pair no3
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy