Author Topic: Houseboats on Grasmere  (Read 11192 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Houseboats on Grasmere
« Reply #90 on: 07:39:08, 14/02/20 »

Where exactly did you highlight this irony?
I intended no irony in the quoted post; it was in another. In any case, irony is either discerned or not, it should not need to be highlighted.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 07:42:11, 14/02/20 »
...Why would they?Wild camping is wild camping
Those of us that like it know what's involved that's why we do it,
(In a leave no trace mindset)
Those that don't like it don't do it end of story
But to criticise one or the other?
Would you like to elaborate
They wouldn't, which is my point. Just as wild camping can be and is used as a type of accommodation, so too can boats that have beds.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 08:50:35, 14/02/20 »
They wouldn't, which is my point. Just as wild camping can be and is used as a type of accommodation, so too can boats that have beds.
Wild camping when done in the right way has little or no effect on other people, or the environment
And when the morning comes the tent is gone,
Rather different than a boat
I think you've wasted far too many peoples time on this,
You are beginning to look like a Troll

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 09:17:46, 14/02/20 »
I intended no irony in the quoted post; it was in another. In any case, irony is either discerned or not, it should not need to be highlighted.

Let's all stop feeding the troll.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 09:37:46, 14/02/20 »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 09:38:21, 14/02/20 »
Wild camping when done in the right way has little or no effect on other people, or the environment
And when the morning comes the tent is gone,
Rather different than a boat
I think you've wasted far too many peoples time on this,
You are beginning to look like a Troll

I began my contributions to this topic by saying that: "I was a little disappointed that the plan (to put 'houseboats' on Grasmere) doesn't appear to be going ahead." That's it - my thoughts, my feelings. I went on to say how I'd found there to be a lack of accommodation that we'd be interested in using in the Lake District for a walking holiday. I was careful to say "desirable" in regard to accommodation because I didn't want to suggest a lack of cottages, only a lack of cottages that might appeal to us.

For expressing my genuine, but apparently unacceptable, view about boats on Grasmere it's previously been suggested that I'm selfish and ignorant, and now you suggest I might be a troll. This is a forum - a place for discussion and debate - and (like it or not) it should be possible for a member to hold and express a valid opinion, even if a group of members who share an opposing view do not agree.

I notice that as I've been writing this, another member has just called me a troll. No, I'm a walker who thought about spending a week or two walking in the Lake District next summer and for whom a houseboat on a lake sounded an interesting possibility, since my wife and I like unusual accommodation. As it turns out, the boats in question look far smaller than I'd imagined and wouldn't have suited us anyway.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 10:31:55, 14/02/20 »
Maybe the problem is that you do not seem to want to address or discuss the visual impact of the boats, or the environmental issues which other members have brought to your attention and have been discussing in this thread since the plans were first publicised.

Nor have you addressed the concerns that this will enable other changes to the national park by the creation of a precedent. 

Instead you have only discussed your own desire to sleep on a boat on Grasmere, as you like quirky places.  If you are not merely trying to keep an argument going then I am sorry I said you were behaving like a troll, but I think it may help if you were to discuss why you think an idea like the houseboats would be a good idea in general.  Then there may be a debate.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 11:42:28, 14/02/20 »
Mel, what do you think?  You always spot them a mile away. In our case that would be a half hour walk, for others, a lot less than 15 minutes.

:D :D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 12:06:42, 14/02/20 »
I wouldn't claim to have Mel's perspicacity but;

with 305 post since joining in July 2019, if WD was a troll I'd think we'd might have noticed sooner.

My opinion - if I may be permitted to express it - is that as this particular planning situation seems to have been dropped then this disagreement could also be closed.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 12:17:22, 14/02/20 »
I wouldn't claim to have Mel's perspicacity but;

with 305 post since joining in July 2019, if WD was a troll I'd think we'd might have noticed sooner.

My opinion - if I may be permitted to express it - is that as this particular planning situation seems to have been dropped then this disagreement could also be closed.
Jac, the voice of reason as always. Thank you.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 18:44:03, 14/02/20 »
Mel, what do you think?  You always spot them a mile away. In our case that would be a half hour walk, for others, a lot less than 15 minutes.

:D :D

Daft lad  ;D   No I don't think he's a troll.

... and seeing as pdstsp and Jac have got the topic gaffered between them it's probably best to leave it at that.

Perspicacity - my new Word Of The Day  :D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 18:51:28, 14/02/20 »
I've been active on forums for many years, but this is the first time I've been the subject of a discussion...  :)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 19:16:34, 14/02/20 »
I've been active on forums for many years, but this is the first time I've been the subject of a discussion...  :)

Maybe its because its Wet, Windy and cabin fever is coming into play.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 19:33:50, 14/02/20 »
Maybe the problem is that you do not seem to want to address or discuss the visual impact of the boats, or the environmental issues which other members have brought to your attention and have been discussing in this thread since the plans were first publicised. Nor have you addressed the concerns that this will enable other changes to the national park by the creation of a precedent. Instead you have only discussed your own desire to sleep on a boat on Grasmere, as you like quirky places. Instead you have only discussed your own desire to sleep on a boat on Grasmere, as you like quirky places. If you are not merely trying to keep an argument going then I am sorry I said you were behaving like a troll, but I think it may help if you were to discuss why you think an idea like the houseboats would be a good idea in general.  Then there may be a debate.

Spot on pdstsp. What is the point of a National Park unless it is to prevent unnecessary exploitation. It seems people think their own short lived enjoyment is more important than anything else.

Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 17:02:55, 15/02/20 »
I began my contributions to this topic by saying that: "I was a little disappointed that the plan (to put 'houseboats' on Grasmere) doesn't appear to be going ahead." That's it - my thoughts, my feelings. I went on to say how I'd found there to be a lack of accommodation that we'd be interested in using in the Lake District for a walking holiday. I was careful to say "desirable" in regard to accommodation because I didn't want to suggest a lack of cottages, only a lack of cottages that might appeal to us.

For expressing my genuine, but apparently unacceptable, view about boats on Grasmere it's previously been suggested that I'm selfish and ignorant, and now you suggest I might be a troll. This is a forum - a place for discussion and debate - and (like it or not) it should be possible for a member to hold and express a valid opinion, even if a group of members who share an opposing view do not agree.

I notice that as I've been writing this, another member has just called me a troll. No, I'm a walker who thought about spending a week or two walking in the Lake District next summer and for whom a houseboat on a lake sounded an interesting possibility, since my wife and I like unusual accommodation. As it turns out, the boats in question look far smaller than I'd imagined and wouldn't have suited us anyway.

Dave I kinda agree that living on a boat can be fun and it was a unique development.. think people are more frustrated about a few developments showing a lack of environmental sensitivity in recent years in a very busy place.

Would you be able to elaborate on the 'cottages which appeal to us'? What is it about the current accomodation options which doesn't suit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy