Author Topic: Compact camera advice please  (Read 3208 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Compact camera advice please
« Reply #15 on: 14:04:16, 09/10/20 »
Just had a quick look at the TZ70 operation manual: my heart sank - it is 305 pages long!  :o

Don't read it!  If you play with it and look through the menus it should become fairly self-explanatory - and there will be plenty of helpful videos on YouTube.  I use a Sony HX90V when walking - it has a viewfinder and is a super-zoom and fits in my hip belt pocket - so Birdman's comments apply to this too.  I leave it on auto by default and use manual settings when needed.  I know many peple using the panasonics and they all rave about them.  Enjoy.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:31:56, 09/10/20 »
Just had a quick look at the TZ70 operation manual: my heart sank - it is 305 pages long!  :o

Just give it a quick read to see what you need. Lots of stuff you will never use but some features are very useful.

For example, switching focusing mode can be really useful when trying to photograph something that moves. And the camera allows you to re-program a few buttons, so that you can switch to this menu with one button press. Also, I program one of the rings to have direct access to exposure compensation. These kind of things require some digging into the manual but are really useful. Once you have set this up, you have a very useful camera customised to your needs.

On the other hand, I never use any of the many creative modes. I want honest pictures and any editing (if necessary) is better done in Photoshop back home.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:06:28, 09/10/20 »
I don`t envy you Richard .... Deciding on which or what sort of camera to buy. It is a minefield ...  ???
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:19:11, 09/10/20 »
On the other hand, I never use any of the many creative modes. I want honest pictures and any editing (if necessary) is better done in Photoshop back home.

Totally agree with you on that  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:41:58, 09/10/20 »
How many languages is that? You might find the English section is only 20 pages.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:18:36, 09/10/20 »
How many languages is that? You might find the English section is only 20 pages.

Nope, all English. Even the 'Basics' section goes on until page 76!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy