Author Topic: Soaked through to the skin  (Read 4173 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Soaked through to the skin
« Reply #15 on: 10:50:44, 06/10/20 »
Another vote for the Paramo gilet.  It is my favourite piece of kit, I rarely go out without it, especially in winter.  It is perfect for lunch stops, when I find I often get chilled, and it works when it's wet.   I have had it for years, but it still seems good as new.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:25:03, 06/10/20 »
Buffalo kit is excellent. I'm still using a 4 season outer sleeping bag which I bought in the early 80's for a weeks dole money! I lived in Sheffield near the factory and had arranged to collect it. When I turned up there was a pile of Army green bags that would fill a wagon and 2 Paratroopers with rattle cans painting 3P (thats 3rd Para) in white through a stencil on the sac of every bag. They were all to be away to the Falklands the next day (would that be 1982?).  The chap from Buffalo picked me one out of the pile and said 'sorry, they're all green this week'!
I once slid out of a tent that wasn't pitched flat and awoke to find the bottom part of the bag soaking wet with the rain (I only tend to zip the vertical zip and hadn't done the horizontal one across the bottom). In the middle of the night I just moved back into the tent (& zipped up) and went back to sleep trying to curl up at the top end of the bag. When I awoke I was warm and stretched out in a now dry bag, the outer of which was covered in tiny little droplets of water, almost like condensation. I think the material actually pumps the water out.
The bag has had loads of use in all sorts of situations and still functions like new, they're the same stuff as the hoodies and tops that are still in production.   

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:49:52, 06/10/20 »
I will second Buffalo equipment, but it takes quite a bit of courage to slip on a Pertex 6 Mountain shirt, in really cold conditions, with just your bare skin below, but its an idea that works incredibly well.

Also, the equipment is not quite the bargain price it used to be.

My Super 6 shirt cost me £64 back in 1995, but it now retails close to £150, which is quite a markup, but it still represents decent value, as it will last many years, and its a bit of kit that really works, in the right conditions.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #18 on: 17:13:47, 06/10/20 »
If going over above 500 metres high it's worth checking the Mountain Weather Information Service forecast.
Dave

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:34:31, 06/10/20 »
If going over above 500 metres high it's worth checking the Mountain Weather Information Service forecast.
Dave

Depends where you are going walking.  So many and varied weather forecast sites.  Fortunately for us folk in the far SW of UK, the Met office publish a weather forecast for the summit of each of the major/popular tors on Dartmoor. So just now top of Yes tor wind speed is gusting 33mph rising to 41 by 9pm whilst in Okehampton (at the foot of yes tor) wind speed is currently gusting 32mph dropping off to 26 by 9pm  Maybe one for it's own thread.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:36:14, 07/10/20 »
MWIS v Met Office - I use both here in the Lakes.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:42:30, 07/10/20 »
I just look at the sky out of our upstairs bedroom, seems to work most days. I think it's because we can look at a big-sky view right out to sea.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:59:40, 07/10/20 »
Two wet-through walks on the coast over last weekend; now nursing what I am convincing myself is a cold :-\
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:20:39, 07/10/20 »
Two wet-through walks on the coast over last weekend; now nursing what I am convincing myself is a cold :-\

You have my sympathy and hopefully a nice runny nose too. ;D  Odd that that should be a good sign.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:43:43, 07/10/20 »
Did you sanitise your hands before typing that?  Can't be too careful with all those students wandering around down your way.  I had a wet walk on Monday and I have just started sneezing too!  If I get a cold I shall blame you  >:(
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:58:05, 07/10/20 »
Did you sanitise your hands before typing that?  Can't be too careful with all those students wandering around down your way.  I had a wet walk on Monday and I have just started sneezing too!  If I get a cold I shall blame you  >:(
I thought that colds were caused by viruses (many of them coronavirus strains) rather than walking in the rain.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:17:30, 07/10/20 »
I thought that colds were caused by viruses (many of them coronavirus strains) rather than walking in the rain.
Have never heard of a computer virus?  Viscious things - can lay you low as soon as look at you.
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:29:55, 09/10/20 »
I have a bothy bag which offers real respite from bad conditions in places with no shelter, although you do need to get out of it eventually.

Had a miserable time in the Brecon Beacons the other January - rained for two days straight with no pause. Soaked and freezing, especially the hands.

We stopped up in the bothy bag for a whilst for some food and rum and despite being buoyed by this, after another hour in the lashing rain, we decided to go back to town and give it up. We were supposed to be wild-camping but the thought of pitching in that rain and almost certain waking to it as well....sometimes it's just not fun.

thomasdevon

« Reply #28 on: 17:42:29, 12/10/20 »
One tactic that I have learned over the years is to ascend into the wind, so that if I have to turn tail, I have the wind at my back.

That's one reason why I plan my Dartmoor walks almost from Belstone. Its NE of the moor so the return leg is usually with the prevailing wind.

thomasdevon

« Reply #29 on: 17:45:02, 12/10/20 »
A little trick I discovered by accident is to wear a ski mask when walking into the rain and suchlike. Its amazing how even a thin layer takes the pain out of ploughing into driving rain.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy