Author Topic: Walking Boot Insoles  (Read 2572 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Boot Insoles
« Reply #15 on: 12:47:03, 07/12/20 »
The one thing missing from your post is the make and model of the boots involved?

The title of the thread refers to them as being "walking boots" but the content of your post refers to them as being "work boots". Usually they're two completely different things with work boots being constructed using much lower quality materials and if that's the case they will almost certainly not have a midsole or sole which has been specifically designed and developed for walking.

The old adage that you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig may apply here?  ;)

You may well find you would be wasting your money buying expensive insoles if you own a pig as expensive insoles will probably make absolutely no difference at all.

Don't remind me of work boots! Mine were hugely uncomfortable and appeared to be made of cardboard, but they cost me next to nothing and were deemed neccesary for the steel toecaps. If something heavy fell on your foot they protected you, and if you weren't wearing them you couldn't make a claim.

But it was thanks to the Walking Forum three years ago that I learnt the insoles that come with new walking boots aren't necessarily the best, and additionally that insoles should be replaced at intervals. As a result, I bought one of the pairs that had been recommended (no point in me mentioning the brand and model here, as they are not for what the OP was asking). I'm on my 2nd pair now, and they have made my walking more pleasurable.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:05:04, 07/12/20 »
Oh and if you are having trouble with your feet,  regardless of what you are doing or wearing then don't be frightened to get expert advice.
When the GP told me I had PF he arranged for me to attend a hospital physio, here I was given exercises which helped recovery. They also mentioned orthotic insoles. I attend a chiropodist regularly, ( can't see my feet for my belly being my excuse), and she explained which she thought most beneficial for my feet. As a result I have ended up using what I use. Not had any PF agony for a long time now. My flat feet also seem to have eased off the nagging a bit. Clearly after a long walk especially when it's warm and my feet swell up more than when it's cold (?), I get a general soreness in my feet, but also in the calf area. Not a problem.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:04:08, 07/12/20 »
What Jimbob says. I was referred by my GP to a podiatrist. Their explanation of my problem was clear and helpful, and the insoles they made up for me not only help my feet but came free, with the promise that if they didn't work they would make a different pair, also free.

Lee R

« Reply #18 on: 20:15:18, 07/12/20 »
The one thing missing from your post is the make and model of the boots involved?

The title of the thread refers to them as being "walking boots" but the content of your post refers to them as being "work boots". Usually they're two completely different things with work boots being constructed using much lower quality materials and if that's the case they will almost certainly not have a midsole or sole which has been specifically designed and developed for walking.

The old adage that you can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig may apply here?  ;)

You may well find you would be wasting your money buying expensive insoles if you own a pig as expensive insoles will probably make absolutely no difference at all.

Walking boots. The pain started around the time I got new works boots. It's eased over time but I found some discomfort at the end of a 6 hour walk the past weekend which was obviously in my walking boots - which I've had longer than my work boots!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:25:37, 08/12/20 »
Your feet are very sensitive to even minor changes in your footwear. Given that you probably spend 35-40 hours a week in your work boots it should come as no surprise that your feet immediately notice the change and react when suddenly faced with 6-8 hours in your walking boots. Your feet are more used to your work boots than to your walking boots.

As posted by others Superfeet Green come highly recommended on this forum and others. In your situation I would buy 2 pairs - one for your walking boots and one for your work boots or alternatively share and swap one pair between boots. Be aware that they do take some getting used to and usually need a period of gradual breaking in while your feet get used to the increased arch support they provide. They don't suit everybody.

Another off the shelf alternative to look at might be Sidas 3D Comfort insoles which come in 3 versions to suit low, medium or high arches.

I have both Superfeet Green and the Sidas 3D Comfort insoles in different pairs of boots and I honestly can't tell the difference between them when the boots are on my feet.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:19:53, 08/12/20 »
Kinkyboots is so right, superfeet greens take a bit of getting used to start with, they seem to bully your arches into submission. My chiropodist did warn me, so I knew to persevere. Now years later I don't even notice them. I also can't really remember the pains of fallen arches or plantar.
I did try the sorbothanes with arch support once fir about a week yonks ago. I chose to go back to the superfeet.

As with much in life, its quite a personal choice, but the right choice can make life easier. The pity is, it can cost quite a lot to get to the right choice, can't it?
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:41:45, 08/12/20 »
Re: cost! It certainly can.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #22 on: 15:07:26, 19/12/20 »

Another off the shelf alternative to look at might be Sidas 3D Comfort insoles which come in 3 versions to suit low, medium or high arches.

Do you have any view of Svartz footbeds as sold by Altberg as an 'upgrade'?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:24:29, 19/12/20 »

Do you have any view of Svartz footbeds as sold by Altberg as an 'upgrade'?

I've not tried the Svartz footbeds myself so can't comment on their quality but I do know that there are occasional bargains on ebay.

After a quick look from what I can see the Absorber is basically their equvalent to the Sorbothane Double Strike i.e it's predominantly for absorbing shock (think army route marches), the Anatomix Lite is their equivalent to the Superfeet Green and similar footbeds i.e. it's designed to support and hold your feet in the correct position and alignment, the Memorex is sort of a middle ground which uses memory foam which adapts to the shape of your feet with use.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: 19:16:59, 19/12/20 »
Thanks - I'll try the Sidas then.

Pomster

« Reply #25 on: 21:24:05, 19/12/20 »
I've recently purchased my first "proper pair" of walking boots.
I've had a few boots over the years but these are the first i've had my feet measured. I was advised they required two insoles, something i've no experience of? It's always been a case of buy boots, stick feet in and go walking  :D
The insoles are Sidas impact reducers and Sidas 3feet mid and cost approx £45 Here's hoping they're good insoles.
I'm really a complete novice in terms of boots/feet but what i would say is, is that if you can, get your feet measured so you know which type of insole your feet require
« Last Edit: 21:27:33, 19/12/20 by Pomster »
Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

Troggy

« Reply #26 on: 20:46:25, 09/01/21 »
Well, it's my first tiome on here and and I've got some good bits of info by reading this thread. I must have ruined a fair few pairs of Boots, shoes, trainers by going about buying them the wrong way. While I've been "shielded" during the lockdown, I've generally made do with short walks locally, in the early morning then back in. Found out that I've become more and more walking with all the weight on the outside of both feet and then only really took any notice when I'd developed corns on the outside of both little toes.Luckily, I started thinking about getting out, once we were able to, and looked on the walking forum and "gear."
I'm glad I found this item, as I read it about a fortnight ago. It made interesting reading and I found a few comments really helpful. One was Shortwalker's about Grisport insoles, but it was the point about him wearing Grisport boots that caught my eye. I'd been looking at them on Ebay and liked the look of them, so read up about them. They were wide fitting, which was a good start for me and got some decent reviews.Anyway, I ordered a pair off Ebay (and thought it'd be another pair I'd have to send back or do some amateur cobbling on!)Then I read Gunwharfmans comment about the soles he got that could be used for either pronation or supination: and how they made a dramatic improvem,ent in comfort by helping is feet have the correct gait. so I ordered a pair of them as well.
They both came today and both Boots (Grisport Fuse) and the Rehband wedges, have made a great start. So far the boots have only come off if I went outside in the yard and they are very comfortable, and the insoles? well I'll have to wait a little longer to try them outside; but up to now both shoes and insoles are very comfortable. And finally, about the importance of visits to the Podiatrist (I think it was by Kinky Boots or Jim Bob) I'll have to wait at least until I've had the Vaccination; but that is a good point indeed and thanks for reminding us of their importance.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy