Author Topic: Todays personal dilemma!  (Read 2292 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Todays personal dilemma!
« Reply #15 on: 18:43:20, 23/10/20 »
My wife has just asked me why is she now getting Sportshoes.com boot adverts on her laptop?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:55:35, 23/10/20 »
My wife has just asked me why is she now getting Sportshoes.com boot adverts on her laptop?

Depending on what browser you are using consider installing an adblocker add-in extension. I'm using the latest version of Firefox and have the uBlock Origin extension installed and don't have or see any of the problems you describe. I would guess that your wife will also be seeing it because she probably shares the same IP internet address as yourself.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:57:57, 23/10/20 »
Its the very reason i will be the last person on this planet, to use online banking.
Everytime you make a purchase, be it for walking gear, or anything purchased online, your internet provider is keeping a watch on what you do.

Nothing online, is really safe from prying eyes, no matter how hard we try to stop popups flashing up on our screens.

Its more of an acute problem if your using a Microsoft PC run computer, as 96% of all computer users and owners use Microsoft software.

Your search engine, be it Google, Yahoo, or Safari for Mac users, are keeping a watch on your every move, and are keeping a background record of it.

Once you have made a purchase, 80% of the time, totally random companies selling similar goods, will send you messages.

You can switch your browser popup off, but it does not make much difference, buy anything off the internet, and you will get companies pestering you with similar products

The best solution, is to just ignore them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:11:23, 23/10/20 »
Its the very reason i will be the last person on this planet, to use online banking.
Everytime you make a purchase, be it for walking gear, or anything purchased online, your internet provider is keeping a watch on what you do.

Nothing online, is really safe from prying eyes, no matter how hard we try to stop popups flashing up on our screens.

Its more of an acute problem if your using a Microsoft PC run computer, as 96% of all computer users and owners use Microsoft software.

Your search engine, be it Google, Yahoo, or Safari for Mac users, are keeping a watch on your every move, and are keeping a background record of it.

Once you have made a purchase, 80% of the time, totally random companies selling similar goods, will send you messages.

You can switch your browser popup off, but it does not make much difference, buy anything off the internet, and you will get companies pestering you with similar products

The best solution, is to just ignore them.
Or you could adjust your settings for increased privacy, use a browser that does not track you, install software that augments your privacy and security as well as blocking adds and cleaning up your internet traces.  Then you could join the 21st century with a degree of confidence.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:24:20, 23/10/20 »
Agreed with Ninthace.
There are now a number of privacy orientated browsers and search engines that don't track your every move, don't keep a log of it, don't sell your information and don't bombard you with ads. They call it "taking back control of the internet".
DuckDuckGo is probably the best known alternative search, I love it, though even that is suspect now as it's based on Microsoft Bing and apparently it sends data back to them.
So start searching and you'll be surprised at what is available - but preferably don't do it on Google!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:45:43, 23/10/20 »
I want a pair of 'fabric' type boots ... and have a 'good enough' waterproofing confidence in them.
I don't really think that exists.

Getting wet feet is not the end of the world. If you want lightweight, breathable boots, then accept that they will let water in to some degree.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 07:10:01, 24/10/20 »
Oboz Sawtooth mid dry boots are a combination of leather and fabric. They are light weight and in my experience waterproof. I have 2 pairs.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:02:32, 24/10/20 »
I don't think a 'waterproof' boot exists either, it annoys me that the marketing people can make the claim and get away with it. That's why is use the words 'good enough' as a way of saying I'm not expecting perfection if they want to use the term 'waterproof' there should be an explanation alongside as to what the word actually means.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:14:12, 24/10/20 »
GWM. I have had a number of different makes of boot which have been waterproof. A pair of AKU withstood hours of trudging through waterlogged ground where the water was up around the laces. My current boots are Oboz Bridger..leather and Sawtooth..fabric and leather and I consider them to be waterproof after walking all day through wet grass and bogs.
If I do get damp feet it is usually because water has got in via the top of the boot due to wearing shorts or non waterproof trousers so allowing water to run down onto my socks.
I have just come back from a week in Derbyshire where the ground was very wet and we had several heavy  bouts of rain and my boots kept my feet dry ..apart from of course sweat and having put my foot into deep boggy bit so water came over the top.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:39:48, 24/10/20 »
I have a similar pair of boots like yours only that mine are all leather, a pair of Berghaus Superlights, something I always go to in the winter, wetter and colder months.

I often wonder though, if boots are sent back and they are replaced I wonder if the retailer gains out of it anyway?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:01:57, 24/10/20 »
I have a similar pair of boots like yours only that mine are all leather, a pair of Berghaus Superlights, something I always go to in the winter, wetter and colder months.

The problem with that is that Berghaus Supalite II is at best a 2 season boot due to it's lightweight build and not designed or intended for winter use at all.

You've had the Keen Targhee before which is an American made boot primarily designed for use in warmer dryer climates not the colder wetter climates experienced in the UK and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they also leak like a sieve and end up in the dustbin?

In your situation I would change tack completely and use the Berghaus Supalite II in the summer months which is what they were designed for and buy more appropriate decent quality 2-3 season leather boot for use in the winter months. That way you avoid wasting your time and money on fabric boots with questionable build quality and hopefully end up with boots which are more appropriate to the type of walking you do.

As mentioned earlier to dodgylegs it might be worth checking out the Anatom Q2 Classic @ ~£100 or the Anatom Q3 Braeriach @ ~£120 if you can find some in stock locally to try and which more closely match your budget limit.

Anatom Q2 Classic 
https://www.anatomfootwear.co.uk/mens/14-q2-classic-hiking.html 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBu1Xj00bfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXycy9kTG2M

Anatom Q3 Braeriach
https://www.anatomfootwear.co.uk/mens/28-q3-braeriach.html
https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/anatom-q3-braeriach-boot-review/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-ShzTRQeY

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:45:24, 24/10/20 »
A couple of years ago I was out walking with the chap who had written the local walking guide.  I live in the wild, woolly North West of Scotland, and there were about 2 walks in it which involved an actual path, and we were not on one of them. He was wearing fabric boots, and when I asked if they kept the water out I got a very blank look.  He said he had never had any trouble at all with them leaking, and didn't expect to.   I think it is a pity to be too dogmatic about leather boots, as more and more experienced walkers seem to be moving towards very lightweight fabric boots and posh trainers (approach shoes? trail shoes?).  Perhaps it is a reaction to the walking boots of my youth which you could hardly lift over a stile by the end of the day, or perhaps people are looking at what fell and ultra-runners wear, or perhaps they are simply more comfortable.  As they say, a pound on the feet is the same as five pounds on the back, and it seems odd to spend hundreds on kit to save a few grams in the rucksack and then cancel it out by putting any weight you have saved on your feet.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:48:35, 24/10/20 »
Depending on what browser you are using consider installing an adblocker add-in extension. I'm using the latest version of Firefox and have the uBlock Origin extension installed and don't have or see any of the problems you describe. I would guess that your wife will also be seeing it because she probably shares the same IP internet address as yourself.

Yes, uBlock Origin is great! I have been using that for many years and I never see any ads.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:54:29, 24/10/20 »
the walking boots of my youth which you could hardly lift over a stile by the end of the day

;D beautifully put and it made me laugh. I've experienced that many times!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:58:11, 24/10/20 »
A couple of years ago I was out walking with the chap who had written the local walking guide.  I live in the wild, woolly North West of Scotland, and there were about 2 walks in it which involved an actual path, and we were not on one of them. He was wearing fabric boots, and when I asked if they kept the water out I got a very blank look.  He said he had never had any trouble at all with them leaking, and didn't expect to.   I think it is a pity to be too dogmatic about leather boots, as more and more experienced walkers seem to be moving towards very lightweight fabric boots and posh trainers (approach shoes? trail shoes?).  Perhaps it is a reaction to the walking boots of my youth which you could hardly lift over a stile by the end of the day, or perhaps people are looking at what fell and ultra-runners wear, or perhaps they are simply more comfortable.  As they say, a pound on the feet is the same as five pounds on the back, and it seems odd to spend hundreds on kit to save a few grams in the rucksack and then cancel it out by putting any weight you have saved on your feet.

I think fabric boots with goretex are waterproof out of the box. The question is how long the goretex will remain intact. Once that starts leaking, leather boots have the edge because at least initially the leather will be more waterproof than the fabric.

Regarding "a pound on the feet is the same as five pounds on the back", this is probably true on a flat, good quality trail and without carrying much weight. However, in my experience, heavier boots offer more stability when it is rough under foot and especially in combination with carrying weight. The extra energy lifting your feet is then outweighed by the less energy spent because of the extra stability. This is my personal experience and it could work out different for other people.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy