Author Topic: TR - West Meon Circular  (Read 1535 times)

Warbler

TR - West Meon Circular
« on: 17:27:51, 20/08/19 »
It appears my 3 month enforced walking sabbatical after injuring my Achilles tendon on Offa's Dyke is over (touch wood). I've managed 3 or 4 short walks over the last couple of weeks, and all seems quite normal again.

After checking the weather forecast for the day (2% chance of rain), I drove to West Meon near the western end of the South Downs. After parking in the village I set off heading south along the old railway bed towards Exton.

Not even 5 minutes into the walk it started to rain. Never mind, it can only be a shower. Due to the forecast I hadn't brought full waterproofs with me, so I popped on my windproof smock. The shower only lasted about 5 minutes and the sun soon got me dry. I came off the railway bed and headed towards Old Winchester Hill, with dark clouds looming.

I joined the South Downs Way and started the climb up to Old Winchester Hill. Looking back more dark clouds where following me.

As soon as I reached the top of the hill that dark cloud dumped its contents on me. It came down in sheets for about 10 minutes. No chance of any photo's from here so I made haste towards the visitors car park, crossed over the road and continued along the SDW on a path that had almost turned into a stream.

On the bright side, the sun was shining again as I headed towards Meon Springs fly fishery.

I stopped at the fishery and ate my lunch at a picnic bench in front of the pavillion. While I was there a guy pulled in what looked like a decent sized trout. I spoke to another guy who was doing the SDW. He told me he'd set off from Winchester this morning and was heading for Amberley, a distance of about 45 miles. I dismissed this as utter [censored], until I turned around and saw him getting on his bike  ;D.
I was now completely dry again after the recent downpour.

Continuing on the SDW I walked up a dead straight concrete track until I reached Hen Wood.

Here I left the SDW and walked north along the eastern fringe of Hen Wood.

I took a footpath to the left into Hen Wood, but shortly afterwards I took a wrong turning and went deeper into the wood than I'd intended. Viewranger soon got me back on course though, and took me on a pleasant stroll through Chappetts Copse, and then to the quiet lane that leads back into West Meon.

As I was walking along this lane, another large black cloud emptied itself on me, and I was saturated again. I had a few funny looks from the late lunchtime diners in the Thomas Lord pub (the founder of Lords cricket ground apparently) as I dripped through to the bar  :o.

Considering I got soaked 3 times I really enjoyed todays walk, and it's one I'll definitely do again sometime.

2% chance of rain eh!!!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - West Meon Circular
« Reply #1 on: 21:28:32, 20/08/19 »
Lovely photos Warbler    :)    An area of the South Downs I'm not familiar with

A shame about the rain.  I have no faith in weather forecasts!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:08:52, 21/08/19 »
I enjoyed reading that, your watery misfortunes made me chuckle  ;D

Lovely pictures too  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:09:58, 21/08/19 »
A good walk and report/pictures. That alternating sun and rain can be exasperating, leave the waterproof on and feel too hot or take it off and get wet  :).

Glad to hear the injury is healed, I think I'm on the home stretch with my PF that has grounded us for a few weeks.

Warbler

« Reply #4 on: 17:26:21, 21/08/19 »
Lovely photos Warbler    :)    An area of the South Downs I'm not familiar with

A shame about the rain.  I have no faith in weather forecasts!
Thanks Dovegirl. I'm discovering some nice routes at this end of the South Downs. There tends to be more woodland than further east. The views seem to open up more the further east you go. The problem for me though is travelling along that horrible A27 to get there and back. So painfully slow at times, and turns it into a longer day than it really should be.

I enjoyed reading that, your watery misfortunes made me chuckle  ;D

Lovely pictures too  O0
Ta Mel. I was laughing myself at the absurdity of it. It helps knowing that it's probably only a short shower and knowing you'll dry out quickly went it stops and the sun returns. Just one of those days :)

A good walk and report/pictures. That alternating sun and rain can be exasperating, leave the waterproof on and feel too hot or take it off and get wet  :).

Glad to hear the injury is healed, I think I'm on the home stretch with my PF that has grounded us for a few weeks.

Cheers VG. It just feels great to be out and about again. Excuse my ignorance, what is "PF"?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:03:01, 21/08/19 »
Excuse my ignorance, what is "PF"?

Sorry, I typed that in a hurry and forgot the expansion - the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:25:08, 21/08/19 »
Nice pics Warbler, pleased your injury is better  O0

Hope your PF clears up soon vghikers  :)
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:49:28, 21/08/19 »
This brought back some memories. It must be getting on for 30 years since I was on Old (then Young) Winchester Hill. I have always liked the Meon Valley and it used to have some good pubs for after the walk.

Warbler

« Reply #8 on: 13:22:18, 24/08/19 »
Sorry, I typed that in a hurry and forgot the expansion - the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis.

That sounds nasty VG. Good to hear you're nearly over it.

Thanks April, it's great to be back in the great outdoors again.

Bigfoot Mike, I agree, there are some cracking pubs for an end of walk beverage. But, sadly IMO the Thomas Lord wasn't one of them. More of a restaurant serving ale than a pub serving meals.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:11:25, 28/08/19 »
Nice photos Warbler O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy