Author Topic: Cutting daily camping costs?  (Read 4919 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Cutting daily camping costs?
« Reply #15 on: 16:56:09, 29/05/19 »
BWW - playing Devils Advocate here, thinking how your farmer may respond.  How much of the £45 per pheasant does the farmer get? When I walk the local publican may get some cash and the village hall car park may get some cash too but all the farmer gets is my bootprints and, if he invests any cash in path maintenance, he is actually paying for my bootprints.  Does he get any income from having a PROW across his land?
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:49:27, 29/05/19 »
Does he get any income from having a PROW across his land?

We never did - all we got was broken fences, a frequently broken stile and gates left open allowing the horses to get out onto the road.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:19:50, 29/05/19 »
Sounds more like the kneejerk reply of the landowner and not the farmer. But a the farming lobby has chosen to take a low profile in this debate the more informed contribution based on fact has failed to surface.

For 20-30 years the farming press has been promoting diversification but the potentially most powerful asset for diversification has been ridiculed by the landowner.

Being all in favour of a bit of Devilish Advocacy, I wonder if the fact that the land RoWs are on is removed from the calculations SFS are based on has been related to the potential earning power RoWs indicate in Natural England's own surveys.

I'm all for questioning the ascendancy of the pheasants profile in the rural hierarchy for the sake of upsetting a few established notions :D ,

if it starts to throw a bit of light into the darker places the CLA want to stay hidden.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:15:54, 29/05/19 »
Costs can be cut as has been shown.
But I also tend to think having read many of GWM topics that he loves the way he does it and is only looking to see if he has missed something obvious.
My impression is that he has no obvious way of cutting back without changing the way he enjoys doing what he does.However,  given the calories in a pint of bitter, maybe he should have two more pints and give the meal a miss😃😃😃😃

Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:46:51, 30/05/19 »
I'm one of those very lucky people that I never really have to worry about my weight, but I think you are right. I like the way I hike, the pubs I visit and so on so no changes for me I'm afraid. I might this year do a bit more wild camping, as long as its near a pub of course!  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:09:30, 30/05/19 »

I like both.

Nothing like really getting out into the wilds and camping in the middle of nowhere, but there is also nothing like pitching on a decent campsite, going for a good long walk and retiring to a Lake District pub for a pint or three with friends.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:33:41, 30/05/19 »
A pint (or two) after a good long hike always seems to taste better, although the first one may not touch the sides on the way down.
« Last Edit: 20:56:44, 30/05/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:17:29, 30/05/19 »
Our evening meal when we wild camp costs £2.14. That is for both of us too ;D

We have our version of spaghetti Bolognese, made from dried noodles and Beanfeast. We also have packet soup and crisps and curried noodles. The noodles for the spag bol cost 50p, Beanfeast is £1, Tesco curried noodles 14p, soup 30p, crisps 20p. No cooking as such is involved just boil water and pour it on and let it hydrate.

The wine isn't included in that but we pay less than £5 per bottle as a rule.
Hate will never win

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:21:18, 30/05/19 »
If I'm only going away for a night or two I just take some food out of the kitchen, so it only cost me the amount of gas used to cook it. I'd have eaten the food anyway so it's not an extra cost beyond normal living costs.

If I'm away for a longer wilderness walk I take dried food which cost extra. I normally buy a few packets at a time to spread the cost out this way I hardly notice it. I hardly ever take booze and I'm not one for pubs but might have the odd bottle of beer at the end of a trip.

Now that I'm over 60 I can use my bus pass in Scotland, this makes it easy to do liner walks and costs me nothing. Works on the ferries as well but not in Englandshire. Unfortunately flights to Scandinavia do cost me and they aren't cheap.

Don't tend to do car camping anymore so hardly ever use sites, so again no cost. 

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:48:19, 30/05/19 »
If you enjoy the way you do it and have the money why worry. We're all different.
I only camp when there's no camping barn or hostel ect where we usually cook our own. I take vegetables off my allotment that I've dried myself pasta and rice and pulses. Costs about £20 a day with the odd cake or icecream thrown in.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:34:11, 31/05/19 »
A pint (or two) after a good long hike always seems to taste better, although the first one may not touch the sides on the way down.

The optimum time for me is when I have one pint inside me and the second on the table in front of me.

..after that, it's all downhill! :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:39:16, 31/05/19 »
Wild camping really does cost next to nothing. Fuel costs for the stove really are trivial, especially if I use Kerosene from the heating oil tank! Half decent dehydrated food does cost a few pounds a shot, but not really that much more than 'normal' food. But I'm just as happy nibbling oatcakes and cheese.

dank86

« Reply #27 on: 22:37:32, 05/06/19 »
Eating out is a rare treat when im hiking and camping, on my last trip I ate out twice in 8 days of walking. I do however dehydrate my own meals and that saves a small fortune over buying the prepackaged ones also I know I like what I make as its my cooking! My dehydrator was about £30 as well so its all ready paid for it self just in meals, you can also do dried fruit and jerky in it for snacks.

Just doing that would save money to stay on campsites all the time!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:02:35, 06/06/19 »
My dehydrator was about £30 !

Which one did you get dank86?

Can you dehydrate things like a curry? We would love to be able to eat a homemade madras or korma when we are out.
Hate will never win

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:27:09, 06/06/19 »
I got one years ago, I found it good for veg and fruit but never had any luck with meat. It always ended up as a discussing brown mess that would never re-hydrate. I hardly ever use it these days as it's just simpler to go and buy what I want.

I got it from Lakeland Plastics.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy