Author Topic: Charity Walk  (Read 944 times)

Portman23

Charity Walk
« on: 08:45:33, 10/01/19 »
Hi Everyone, new to this Forum and just looking for advice and tips for a new walker attempting a fund raising mission. Apologies for the length of this...

Me and my brother in law are doing a charity walk on the 11th of April. Our last money raising mission for charity was 2 years ago, cycling 240 miles to Wales over 3 days for Melanoma, we managed to raise £3,000.

Basically 2 or 3 times each year we travel over to Holland and meet up with a group of locals to watch a Feyenoord match, so this year we have decided to tie this in with raising some money for charity.

On the 11th of April we will be setting off from Ely, Cambridgshire and walking the route to Holland, finishing at De Kuip (Feyenoords Stadium), plan is as below hopefully.....

Wednesday - Ely - Ipswich (55 miles)

Thursday - Ipswich - Harwich port (25 miles)

-----------------------------------------------------
Over night Ferry to Holland
-----------------------------------------------------

Friday - Holland port - Rotterdam (25 miles)

We are both 27 and reasonably fit but have never attempted to walk such a distance, especially the first stint from Ely to Ipswich, I am looking for some advice on training in the build up to the walk and also a routine a week before the walk and during, ie water intake, food intake etc, blister prevention etc.

I really appreciate any tips you can provide! thank you!

Our fundraising page is on Just giving and named - SamDan100

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Charity Walk
« Reply #1 on: 09:02:23, 10/01/19 »
Training: Wear your walking footwear a lot and get the miles in on consecutive days.
Food & drink: Your training walks will help you know what you will need but have the sort of stuff you normally eat but a bit more of it if you are hungry. You should probably limit yourselves to just a couple of pints on the Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:22:07, 10/01/19 »
 Training.Plenty of running as you are going to need it if you want to cover 55 miles on day one.Try and do a 24 hour non-stopper to get a feeling of what its like to go without sleep and rest for a long period.Have a few hours sleep and then do a 20 miler so you get used to pushing yourself when your body wants to rest.

Eating.On the walk its best to eat something every half hour and drink as required.
 This is going to be  a very painful and unpleasant experience but with the right mental attitude it is doable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:06:39, 10/01/19 »
Try walking 55 miles in a single day and then see if you can get out of bed the next day.  If you can - you have a plan.  A fairly fit human walks at 3 to 3.5 mph - how long for is another matter.
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:50:18, 10/01/19 »
I'd recommend lots of running, stretches and make sure you don't get yourself an over-use injury from doing too much too soon.  You're far better served doing 30 minutes running a day than you are trying to do a 4 hour weekend run, injure yourself and then set your training and fitness back.  You didn't make it clear if you're camping or walking from B&B to another B&B/hostel, but the latter is by far the easiest way of attempting such a challenge with only a lightweight gear (food, waterproof, essentials) versus a rucksack and full tent+kit.  I'd probably pick up a lumbar pack and see if I can send boxes ahead with supplies to your hotels with food so you have to carry the bare minimum and purely shower and sleep every night (as that's all youll have energy to do). 
Focus on your nutrition, both before your hike (to aid your recovery times when doing training runs), drink plenty of water, buy some energy gels and get used to using them on the move.

Also rely on each other, when doing distance events the worst (imo) are always solo - where you get into your own head and start getting into a negative space when you're tired, hungry and things start to hurt and it's blowing rain right into your face.  When you're with someone and walking you should be able to talk and keep your spirits up - if your partner is struggling, keep them going and let them do the same for you.  Mentally you can tolerate a lot of pain, but you need to focus on avoiding mechanical injuries from an increased level of physical activity which will cause you to have to drop out.   

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:11:30, 10/01/19 »

55 miles in a day is a tall order for someone who is not into endurance events. The most that I have ever managed is 37 miles around Birmingham's canal network, and despite being reasonably fit, I could hardly walk the following morning.
Can you not add an extra day and split your long first day into two?

PS - welcome to the forum. :)
« Last Edit: 16:15:23, 10/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:21:15, 10/01/19 »
55 miles in a day is a tall order for someone who is not into endurance events. The most that I have ever managed is 37 miles around Birmingham's canal network, and despite being reasonably fit, I could hardly walk the following morning.
Can you not add an extra day and split your long first day into two?

PS - welcome to the forum. :)

I agree that 55 miles is a very tall order and it will take most of the day to complete it. If you can move the next day, I would be very surprised. Even 25 miles is a long way, unless you are used to it and trained. 25+ miles on several consecutive days will be hard without the first day. Can you add a couple of days, so that you can shorten the first day and possibly have a rest day (or at least an easier day) in the middle? What about cycling the first day and then walking the rest?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy