Author Topic: Most Beautiful Summit  (Read 1444 times)

CjDiesel83

Most Beautiful Summit
« on: 21:31:13, 25/01/20 »
One to ask the sheep & goats....

Where should I go next .. ?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Most Beautiful Summit
« Reply #1 on: 21:44:47, 25/01/20 »
I see from your welcome post that you like the Watkin path. Have you tried Tryfan - the lowest of the Welsh 3000s, but one of the best. In the same area there is Cnicht which has some fantastic views.

Further afield is Morne Blanc. The walk through the mist forest is totally different to anything in the UK, but it will cost to get there.

CjDiesel83

« Reply #2 on: 21:54:29, 25/01/20 »
I was lucky enough to do Tryfans North Ridge last September on an Introduction to Scrambling weekend... Superb !

I haven't headed back though looked with longing when I visited Y Garn last sunday...

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:23:27, 25/01/20 »
If you now like scrambling, then Crib Goch is great option. Early morning mid week is (or was) the best time to avoid the masses. Including The North Ridge makes this really special. This is much less busy than the main approach and you can get to explore Cwm Uchaf and Cwn Glas.

I really enjoyed Ben Wyvis and had fantastic views on a cold, crisp winter day. That might be a long trip for you. More scrambling can be had on the Aonach Eagach (grade 2), but not for those with vertigo. You are also then in Glencoe with many more options nearby.

CjDiesel83

« Reply #4 on: 22:29:06, 25/01/20 »
 I have considered Crib Goch but in truth I'm not sure that i'm quite ready.... Striding edge I have done a few times and I'm looking to do Halls Fell Ridge and maybe Sharp Edge when the weather improves..  My scrambling is embryonic and I'm a lonesome cowboy so don't want to be a statistic....

Safety first at 45 !!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:14:52, 25/01/20 »
Crib Goch is not that difficult technically, but is intimidating due to the drops on either side. You definitely wouldn’t want to fall off. This time of year is probably not the best, as it would be a totally different prospect with snow or ice.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:06:57, 27/01/20 »
I simply can't answer this one. They all change so much with the seasons.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:58:56, 27/01/20 »
As do people’s criteria of beauty.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:48:10, 27/01/20 »
Most beautiful summit -

- to look at, or to be on?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:54:08, 27/01/20 »
Two spring to mind, one in Wales, sitting on the top of Ysgyryd Fawr on a beautiful clear and sunny morning, 360-degree view. It was so peaceful up there and I fell asleep there for about an hour. No one around when I got there but was then woken up by other tourists.

The other was not so much on a summit but looking at one. It was on the GR10 across the Pyrenees, again a beautiful clear sunny day, sitting on the veranda of the Refuge Ayous, having coffee and cake and looking across a mirror-smooth lake at the mountain and summit of the Pic du Midi d'Ossau. I had just walked down from a summit behind the Refuge, seeing it from up there for the first time was simply stunning and seeing the Refuge far below me was even better!

The Pic du Midi d'Ossau is one of those tourist spots which you see photographs of all over the place, never fails to impress though.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:22:03, 27/01/20 »
Bit of a moving feast, but having Beinn Venue to oneself and planning a descent back to the head of Loch Katrine, after crossing that water on the lovely Victorian
ferry, a spectacular view with beauty to behold, beauty experienced and more to come.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:45:36, 27/01/20 »
<<snip>> The other was not so much on a summit but looking at one. It was on the GR10 across the Pyrenees, again a beautiful clear sunny day, sitting on the veranda of the Refuge Ayous, having coffee and cake and looking across a mirror-smooth lake at the mountain and summit of the Pic du Midi d'Ossau. I had just walked down from a summit behind the Refuge, seeing it from up there for the first time was simply stunning and seeing the Refuge far below me was even better!

The Pic du Midi d'Ossau is one of those tourist spots which you see photographs of all over the place, never fails to impress though.
  I spent a winter night at the observatory on the other Pic du Midi in the Pyreness  (the de Bigorre one).  Seeing the sun go down on the chain of the Pyrenees and then come up again at dawn was a truly magical experience.  We also got to have a go with a telescope to observe Saturn and a few other sights.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:54:36, 28/01/20 »
Walking around the huge boulder field of Bera Bach, on the Gerlan to Foel Grach route.
The views from the huge plateau are encompassing, and on a very clear day, you have Cadair Idris to the South East, the Llyn Peninsula on the Western Horizon, and the whole of Northern Snowdonia in front of you.

On those few occasions ive ventured on the Bera Bach and Yr Aryg plateau, i cannot think of a nicer place to be.
99% of the time, its just you and nature, with the huge expanse of these magnificent mountains.

Ive seen them in all weathers, the ferocity of the wind and rain, and swirling mist, and the peaceful tranquility of a warm sunny afternoon, where you can sit down to eat your lunch, with the jetboil on the burn.

Bera Bach is simply a magical place, and when your there alone, you soon realise our insignificance in this world.

It has a huge presence of being remote and powerful, your at one with nature, and there's no litter, noise, or worries of what's happening in the world or around you.

It never ceases to impress me, those jagged rocks have been there possibly thousands of years, and they will be there when i am long gone.

Last year, i shared the place with two lovely Skylarks performing their ritual, of disappearing into the sky, and then descending to earth in full song.

Thank goodness its very remote, there's no litter, or any signs of anyone every have ever been there.

A magical spot.
« Last Edit: 17:06:23, 28/01/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:35:25, 28/01/20 »
Walking around the huge boulder field of Bera Bach, on the Gerlan to Foel Grach route....

A magical spot.

Indeed.

I do like Moel Siabod, both to look at, and to be on. Was the view from our lounge window for 10 years, so some bias there, I suspect!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:41:36, 28/01/20 »
Most beautiful summit that I failed to climb was Herbetet, in the Gran Paradiso National Park - we got most of the way up but got a bit phased by steep waist deep porridge like snow just below the summit rocks. No regrets - it was a most wonderful place to be, a stunningly beautiful mountain.

https://www.summitpost.org/herbetet/153902

« Last Edit: 17:49:48, 28/01/20 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy