Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27929 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
So I started looking into Walla Crag and found this route

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/walla-crag-to-ashness-bridge-walk

Which I think is the route you mean except I'll start in a different place? It's better from public transport to start at the car park than Ashness Bridge, saves 1.2 miles road walking.

Little concerned because they describe it as moderate and Loughrigg was supposed to be easy but it's different people doing the describing. If you guys think I can tackle it I'm game to try.
« Last Edit: 20:49:29, 08/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
I think that's a pretty straightforward route, it's moderately uphill, but nothing excessively steep, I'd say nowhere on that route is it as steep as Loughrigg from the terrace. Take your time you should be fine. From memory, it's still a road walk back from Ashness bridge to the Carpark though.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Or you could walk to Walla Crag from Keswick town centre

Steady gradient.  Easy path up to Walla Crag.

Alternatively, catch the boat launch to Ashness Gate landing stage (great lake level view of Walla Crag above) and walk from Ashness Bridge up and over Walla Crag back into Keswick.

I personally think the ascent from Ashness Bridge is quite steep in comparison to the Keswick side but if you managed Latrigg you'll be fine with it.  Just take your time.  Huffing and puffing is mandatory.  Walking up without stopping is not  O0   Go at your own pace.  Find your own walking rhythm.  Enjoy the views.  Consult your map ..... often (justifiable excuse for a breather  ;)  ).  

Don't discount Loughrigg though.  As you do more walks and your confidence and experience grows, you'll start to wonder who's been along and flattened the fells so earmark it for a second attempt in the springtime when you've got a few more lake district walks under your belt and built your confidence up a bit  :)

Oh, and those slim folks slipping and sliding down those cobble steps?  All that's telling me is that they're going too fast and not taking enough care (maybe wanting to look more experienced and confident than they were?).  I go sideways down steps like that and just take my time. 

Enjoy.  It's a great hobby and the Lakes is a wonderful playground  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks guys. That reads like good advice Mel. I'll revisit Loughrigg after I've got some more walks in the lakes under my belt. My only previous hikes were in the south downs which is a lot less steep, at least it was everywhere I walked.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Thanks guys. That reads like good advice Mel. I'll revisit Loughrigg after I've got some more walks in the lakes under my belt. My only previous hikes were in the south downs which is a lot less steep, at least it was everywhere I walked.
There is an easier way up Loughrigg than the steps. Sneak up on it from Ambleside .
https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_141.html
That way you go down the steps. If you do not fancy the steps, you can circle the top plateau clockwise and return whence you came.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
So finally I'm allowed to go walking again after minor surgery. Walla Crag had some awesome views. It was easy apart from the bit where it opens up into fields and was rather steep but that section was short (I did it from Keswick direction). Took me a while though. Thanks for suggesting this lovely walk. Now to pick my next outing...

Mel

• Veteran Member
Great stuff!  Walla Crag definitely has good views.  And I'm glad your minor surgery was successful.

Can I suggest you get a copy of Walks Around Keswick by Dalesman.  There are others in the series covering Ambleside, Windermere and Ullwater too.  I got one of mine from one of the shops in Keswick, possibly Booths and the other free with Lakeland Walker magazine.

Great little books (if a little old-fashioned in writing style) and they have easy walks ranging from 2 to 6 miles and not scaling loftier heights than 1,500ft.  Not all walks are "peak bagging" though, but don't forget, the Lake District isn't flat and you don't need to get to the top of something for fabulous views or for training/fitness walks.  I find them really useful for "general walks in the fells".  Quite often you can link a couple of the walks together to make a longer one.

There's no doubt other, more modern/recent books available but I like these for their simplicity.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
OK Mel I ordered the book it's due to arrive Monday, Oct. 22 - Wednesday, Oct. 24. Thanks for your suggestion sounds like a good investment.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Well done Rob  O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Hello,

So I want to tackle some fells but I'm 21 and a half stone at only 5 foot 8......

Shows how my mind works - I originally read this as you were 21 years old and weigh 1/2 stone at 5' 8" ...... Going to say that's not an overweight hiker  :D
Plenty of good suggestions here from all the people of this Parish. I agree with all of these and would also suggest Harter Fell (Dunnerdale/Wrynose Pass).
The reason is, although it is a modest fell it is in a great position and once on the top there is a lot to see and explore but more importantly it offers a grandstand view of most of the Lakeland giants - they are all spread out around you from the Coniston / Dow group all they way anticlockwise back to the Scafell range & beyond.
Plus the bonus of looking down onto a Roman fort.
Better still, it is likely to be quiet when you get up there.
The only problem is ..... getting there (by public transport).
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member

Plenty of good suggestions here from all the people of this Parish. I agree with all of these and would also suggest Harter Fell (Dunnerdale/Wrynose Pass).

Which Harter Fell? I found two:

Harter Fell (Eskdale) and Harter Fell (Mardale). You mention Dunnerdale which is nearer to Harter_Fell_(Eskdale) but I want to make sure.

EDIT: I tried google maps for public transport to a car park near there (Harter_Fell_(Eskdale)) and it didn't even suggest the closest place I could get transport to. Still, I might get a car at some point or even a motorbike (have licence for both) so it's good to know. Unless I'm looking at the wrong Harter Fell of course...
« Last Edit: 20:43:26, 17/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Which Harter Fell? I found two:

Harter Fell (Eskdale) and Harter Fell (Mardale). You mention Dunnerdale which is nearer to Harter_Fell_(Eskdale) but I want to make sure.

EDIT: I tried google maps for public transport to a car park near there (Harter_Fell_(Eskdale)) and it didn't even suggest the closest place I could get transport to. Still, I might get a car at some point or even a motorbike (have licence for both) so it's good to know. Unless I'm looking at the wrong Harter Fell of course...

Eskdale is the one. I think somebody on here did a TR recently that included a photo from/of the summit.
I'll see if I can find it as it'll show you better than my explanation.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member

Eskdale is the one. I think somebody on here did a TR recently that included a photo from/of the summit.
I'll see if I can find it as it'll show you better than my explanation.

Not the one I hoped to find but came across this on the internet from Stewart Smith photography;
Eskdale-from-Harter-Fell.jpg

Gives you an idea of what is in store.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
It has been a long time since I was there, but I think Haystacks at the south of Buttermere might be suitable. It is certainly an interesting walk and was one of Wainwright’s favourites. I believe his ashes were scattered here. One advantage is that, if you find too difficult, you can always have a walk around Buttermere and extend to Crummock Water. This is worth doing in its own right.
I too am heavier than is ideal for hill walking, but don’t let that stop me. The extra weight does make going uphill harder, but we get more exercise than the racing snakes for the same distance travelled.🙂

April

• Veteran Member
I tried google maps for public transport to a car park near there (Harter_Fell_(Eskdale)) and it didn't even suggest the closest place I could get transport to.

You are right there is no public transport there. We have done Harter Fell from Great Langdale using the buses and another time by train, to Ravenglass and La'al Ratty to Dalegarth. It might be a longer walk than you would want to do at the moment. We wild camped when we did it.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy