Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28909 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #60 on: 18:30:26, 06/09/18 »
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 19:28:06, 06/09/18 »
I've just looked at the new documents on the LDNPA planning page. There are still no answers that I can see about the numbers of people who will be allowed to use the "access for all" zip wire lower down.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 10:06:15, 07/09/18 »
Agreed - the only reference to people I can find is in the document entitled Slate Transportation and Visitor Management which refers to people having the choice of continuing up to the top of the via ferrata or descending via the zip wire.  The questions have simply not been answered.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 12:31:50, 07/09/18 »
I have some sympathy with the quarry owners trying to make a living; the quarry is part of the Lake District's heritage every bit as much as the sheep shorn fells, but I do have reservations about the additional traffic that may be generated by this proposal - how much can Honister Pass take?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 21:03:06, 07/09/18 »
BBC4 Tuesday 11 September 12 a.m (= midnight)
Tales from the National Parks
In the Lake District, filmmaker Richard Macer follows the story of entrepreneur Mark Weir's attempts to build a giant zip-wire ride from the top of a mountain.

Edited to correct a typo in a name, and perhaps it's worth pointing out that it's not new, it's been on before.
« Last Edit: 23:00:44, 07/09/18 by fernman »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 18:56:54, 28/10/18 »
From the Zip Off Honister fb page

"Honister Slate Mine - Dual purpose aerial wire for extraction of stone and tourism use - planners' recommendation is to REFUSE.

The meeting of the Development Control Committee is on Wednesday 7th of November 2018.

You can find this information in its original format by looking here:
www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1398592/2018_11_07-Schedule-Summary.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2C7jx-xXCOxf-CENQveSqpq9jvzWKE3GhMwBrO4jGOzPcpnyXKkOXNinw"

I hope the Development Control Committee agree with the planners.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 20:03:50, 28/10/18 »
I guess that is as good as it could be at this stage.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 13:01:33, 31/10/18 »
The full report from the planners is now on the planning app page, just reading through it.

Interesting that Burlington Quarry in Elterwater are in support of the zip wire. How about a zip wire from Lingmoor Fell? 

Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #68 on: 13:21:31, 31/10/18 »
The full report from the planners is now on the planning app page, just reading through it.

Interesting that Burlington Quarry in Elterwater are in support of the zip wire.

Hmmm... there is probably a financial connection hidden somewhere  :(

How about a zip wire from Lingmoor Fell? 

Noooooooooo.... don't say that  :-X

The report is quite a read.
« Last Edit: 14:21:29, 31/10/18 by photonut »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 16:27:04, 31/10/18 »
Good news, I think.  The committee will have to have some very strong arguments to go against the recommendation.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 18:16:10, 31/10/18 »
Good news, I think.  The committee will have to have some very strong arguments to go against the recommendation.

Use to be true but less so these days - decisions can go against the planning officer's recommendation.  Moreover, a refusal can always go to appeal.  If the decision is reversed at appeal then the Authority has to bear the legal costs of the applicant as well as its own so it is easier to approve an application rather than risk an appeal and bear the costs if there is any doubt.  As far as I can tell, if an application goes to appeal, the decision is made by the Secretary of State using the paperwork submitted by the applicant and the Planning Authority; there is no hearing. Decisions tend to be in line with government planning policy without the benefit of local knowledge of the situation - again the Committee know this.  The system is further imbalanced in that there is no appeal if an application is approved by the Planning Authority.   So "yes" means "yes" but "no" does not necessarily mean "no".
Another tactic is for the Committee to say it is "minded" to refuse or approve.  This defers the decision to the next meeting but since the representations have been made, they cannot be reheard.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 18:59:41, 31/10/18 »
I stand corrected, however is there no right of appeal to the planning inspectorate - I seem to remember doing this year's ago?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 19:27:11, 31/10/18 »
I stand corrected, however is there no right of appeal to the planning inspectorate - I seem to remember doing this year's ago?
According to the government website:
You can challenge the decision in the High Court if you think the Planning Inspectorate made a legal mistake.
One thing I may have been wrong about though, I think you may be able to make representations to the planning inspectorate as part of the appeal process. Best check directly with the Planning Portal.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 20:28:04, 31/10/18 »
Noooooooooo.... don't say that  :-X

This might be the next zip wire planning app if Honister gets the go ahead. Precedent set, how could they say no?

I would like to think so too but it was a close run thing last time. There is some support for the Honister Zip Wire from people who opposed Thirlmere. I still can't comprehend why, surely the same principles should apply everywhere in the Lake District, eg. the Sandford one!
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #74 on: 15:29:53, 01/11/18 »
This might be the next zip wire planning app if Honister gets the go ahead. Precedent set, how could they say no?

This is just getting silly and really out of hand.  Perhaps it's about time these 'make a quick buck' businessmen really thought long and hard about the implications of what they are doing.  I don't just mean about themselves either.

Interestingly, I was reading the Acoustic Report provided by Hann Tucker yesterday and that was quite intriguing how the measured noise survey  data and 'appropriate' acoustic qualifiers were... erm... how should I put it.... used very carefully :(

Rather alarming tbh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy