Author Topic: TR 15th March Borrowdale (not that one )  (Read 1587 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 15th March Borrowdale (not that one )
« on: 20:20:41, 17/03/20 »

I'm not sure if the weather has been any worse than is usual for this time of year but it does seem that we have been really unlucky with the weekend weather and things don't look very promising as I'm  exploring a place that I've seen countless time from the M6 but never visited.

I set off in the dry but I was soon donning my waterproofs just before I started the steep climb to Little Coum..

After battling with the wind and rain all the way up the steep climb of Little Coum I made my way across to the trig point on Greyrigg Forest.

Whinfell Beacon ( seen here on the left ) is my next significant height to be visited but between here and there is a frankly quite miserable splodge up and down the hillside with only the ugly towers of the BT repeater stations to look at.

Looking back past the repeater stations to Greyrigg Forest from the start of the pull up to Whinfell Beacon which wasn't as hard as it looked when seen from a distance and a final painful hailstorm on the summit signaled the end of the bad weather so from then on I quite enjoyed the walk.

The Bannisdale fells ahead with the far eastern fell beyond that.

My next top was Mabbin Crag. I climbed it by way of the clear area on the right. I have since found out that there is a narrow path through the trees which would have saved me some re-ascent. I really should do this research before I do the walk rather than after :-).

I did get a nice view down in to Borrowdale though which I might not have got if I had followed the 'correct' path..

I have joined the quite clear path over Mabbin Crag and you can just make out the path disappearing into the trees. Just below me is the little basic bothy/shelter which again I only found about after I had done the walk.

Lovely cairn on Mabbin Crag.

From Mabbin Crag there is a really enjoyable up and down walk across Ashstead Fell. This is looking back to the firebreak used to descend from Mabbin.

The path takes in this easy scramble over a small rock escarpment.

Another impressive cairn on the 455mtr top of Ashstead Crag.

Looking across into the upper reaches of Borrowdale,. the Sleddale fells at the end with Grey Crag prominent. The fells on the right are High House Bank then Robin Hood and Lord's Seat all part of the Crookdale Horseshoe which I walked a few years ago in even worse weather than I've had today.

Rainbow over Whinash on he other side of the valley.

The A6 and Huck's Bridge below

Looking back up the ridiculously steep descent from Ashstead Fell. The path doesn't bother with zig zags it just comes straight down and was very slippery.

It's a nice easy mostly level walk back along the valley passing the ruined farm at High Borrowdale

Mabbin Crag from below.

Further along and the repeater towers make an appearance.

Looking back along Borrowdale from the bridge over Borrow Beck.

The track becomes a tarmac road and the noise from M6 tells you that you are nearly at the end of the valley. Jeffrey's Mount which is another prominent landmark from the motorway is the fell above.

As It's clear when I return to the car I took another picture of the steep climb to Little Coum.
My route was - A685 - Little Coum - Greyrigg Forest - Whinfell Beacon - Old high - Mabbin Crag - Ashstead Fell - Huck's Bridge - Borrowdale - A685 ( about 11 miles 2750 ft ascent)

« Last Edit: 20:26:15, 17/03/20 by karl h »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 15th March Borrowdale (not that one )
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:20, 17/03/20 »
Loads of lovely pictures Karl.
As happens so often with your walks I had to pull up a map to see where you were going off the beaten track.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:58:15, 17/03/20 »
Good circuit and pics, even a rainbow thrown in  O0
We did a round of those hills once quite a few years ago, they made a fine change and were deserted of course. We walked the tops on the northern side, Whinash and Winterscleugh.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:05:54, 17/03/20 »
As happens so often with your walks I had to pull up a map to see where you were going off the beaten track.

In this instance I didn't, as by a strange coincidence I planned and very nearly did the same walk in reverse last Friday, but chose Longsleddale instead!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:07:15, 17/03/20 »
Good report, karl - Borrowdale looks lovely and has now moved further up my 'to do' list.

The bothy intrigues me.....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:37:19, 17/03/20 »
Great views. Thanks.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:56:30, 17/03/20 »
Thanks for posting :)  Did this a few years ago with my group on a clear but breezy day.  We parked at the end of the Borrowdale farm road and went up Birk Knott first.  We returned along the valley, I'd like to go back some time and walk hills on the northern side too.  I seem to recall that when we descended Ashstead fell we went 'round the back' through the trees rather than straight down, it could be that the path we took has been obliterated by the growing trees as I can't make it out on Google/Bing aerial photos. It may have been the track that goes down to Ashstead farm.
Not all those who wander are lost

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:13:43, 18/03/20 »
Excellent pics etc Karl O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:55:27, 18/03/20 »
Nice report Karl - not an area I know at all - interested to give it a go.  Looks like you had similar morning weather to a week earlier on Red Screes.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:48:34, 18/03/20 »
Thanks Ridge O0  It was nice to be somewhere unexplored ( by me )

Good circuit and pics, even a rainbow thrown in  O0
We did a round of those hills once quite a few years ago, they made a fine change and were deserted of course. We walked the tops on the northern side, Whinash and Winterscleugh.

Thanks Geoff O0  You could if fit enough do a full circular of the high ground around the valley.

Good report, karl - Borrowdale looks lovely and has now moved further up my 'to do' list.

The bothy intrigues me.....
Thanks Richard O0

As I said if I had known before hand about the bothy I'd have had a nosey,  but (and it was a lot further down the hill than it looked in my photo ) I wasn't for losing any hard won ascent  ;)

Great views. Thanks.
Cheers jimbob O0

Thanks for posting :)  Did this a few years ago with my group on a clear but breezy day.  We parked at the end of the Borrowdale farm road and went up Birk Knott first.  We returned along the valley, I'd like to go back some time and walk hills on the northern side too.  I seem to recall that when we descended Ashstead fell we went 'round the back' through the trees rather than straight down, it could be that the path we took has been obliterated by the growing trees as I can't make it out on Google/Bing aerial photos. It may have been the track that goes down to Ashstead farm.
Thanks Colin O0  I did think of ascending by Birk Knott but I've looked at the ridge to Little Coum so often as I passed I was determined to try it.

Excellent pics etc Karl O0 
Thank you Tracey O0

Nice report Karl - not an area I know at all - interested to give it a go.  Looks like you had similar morning weather to a week earlier on Red Screes.
Thanks mate O0  I did have a few moments of deja vu  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:56:43, 18/03/20 »
I have some gpx traces for routes in the area if anyone wants them.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:05:48, 18/03/20 »
Did you divert to find the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow?
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:20:03, 18/03/20 »
Ahh, the "other" Borrowdale.  Never been, but it looks just as nice in a different sort of way.  At least you got views reaching further than your nose end, and even a bit of sunshine too  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:13:59, 18/03/20 »
Great photos of an area I have never been to  O0

I see the bad weather found you again  :D
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:14:19, 21/03/20 »
I have some gpx traces for routes in the area if anyone wants them.

It is a lovely place if you need to self isolate :)

Did you divert to find the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Ha Ha..the only crock was me and I wasn't walking any further than necessary even for a pot of gold  ;D

Ahh, the "other" Borrowdale.  Never been, but it looks just as nice in a different sort of way.  At least you got views reaching further than your nose end, and even a bit of sunshine too  :)

Yes It's well worth seeking out and I did at least have an afternoon of fine weather ( for a change )  :)

Great photos of an area I have never been to  O0

I see the bad weather found you again  :D

Cheers A  O0  The bad weather was just passing over me from where you had been to where you were going ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy