Author Topic: Joe Brown  (Read 2036 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Joe Brown
« on: 16:59:09, 17/04/20 »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
Re: Joe Brown
« Reply #2 on: 19:26:35, 17/04/20 »
I'd have thought that the News and Articles board was the more appropriate one to post this very sad news. End of a true legend, RIP Joe Brown . . .
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:19:33, 21/04/20 »
More than just a rock climber....I think that I am correct in saying that he was the only person,  along with George Band, from these islands to be first to the summit of an 8,000 metre peak....Kangchenjunga the third highest summit on the planet.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:42:49, 21/04/20 »
More than just a rock climber....I think that I am correct in saying that he was the only person,  along with George Band, from these islands to be first to the summit of an 8,000 metre peak....Kangchenjunga the third highest summit on the planet.

He did climb Kangenjunga with George Band but not sure they were the first Brits to go 8000m. Certainly, Mallory and Irving had been higher than that although they didn't summit. Nanda Devi had been climbed by then but that's "only" 7817m. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:36:27, 21/04/20 »
He did climb Kangenjunga with George Band but not sure they were the first Brits to go 8000m. Certainly, Mallory and Irving had been higher than that although they didn't summit. Nanda Devi had been climbed by then but that's "only" 7817m.
I am unsure whether Mallory and Irvine got to the summit or not. We do know that they didn’t get back down safely. It is possible that Brits got above 8,000 m before Brown and Band, but that doesn’t stop them being the only Brits to be the first to climb an 8,000 m peak, which they did in 1955.

I have a very tenuous link with Joe Brown, the best friend and climbing partner of a late friend and neighbour of mine suffered a head injury in the Alps and was carried off the mountain by Don Whillans. Unfortunately, he didn’t survive and his old wooden shafted ice axe was hung on my friend’s wall for many years.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:03:45, 21/04/20 »
There was a good obituary in the DT yesterday.  I have added the link but I suspect it is behind a paywall.

Joe Brown
http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/201/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/201/pub/201/page/99/article/34611

Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:11:35, 22/04/20 »
There was a good obituary in the DT yesterday.  I have added the link but I suspect it is behind a paywall.

Joe Brown
http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/201/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/201/pub/201/page/99/article/34611
Thanks that was a good read, the photo was such a nostalgia hit, the pitch so evocative after 56 years, my immediate thought that it must be Castle Crag, Tremadog Rocks, though my visual memory and locations does get muddled up these days. Interesting in 1967 Joe could afford Perlon ropes, I struggled on with cable laid nylon long after that. I notice some of his slings are are still cable laid. My double half weight ropes did save me on a full 300 ft fall on the Dent du Requien.

I wonder if the went down the Castle Caff in the square in Tremadoc after. It could be arctic in Llanberis, yet like a early summers day there, during January and Febuary.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:22:04, 07/05/20 »
Top bloke, he gave me a discount on a Berghaus rucksac i was buying for a friends birthday, in 1992.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:39:45, 07/05/20 »

Mallory,Norton and Somervell reached 8,225m on the 1922 Everest expedition.This was achieved without the use of oxygen.Bruce later set  set a new record on the same expedition of 8,323m using oxygen.In 1924 Norton reached 8,570m during a solo attempt without oxygen,a record that stood for 54 years and was broken in 1978 by Reinhold Messner and Peter Haebler who made the first ascent without oxygen.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy