Author Topic: Ullswater Way.  (Read 1324 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Ullswater Way.
« on: 09:58:17, 27/01/20 »
Tempted to go across and do the Ullswater Way sunday after next.  Not a walk or area I'm familiar with so a couple of questions...

I'll be looking to complete it within the day, has anyone here done it as a day walk?  I'm reckoniong on about  7 - 9 hours of walking, is this being realistic or optimistic?.  How good are transport links back to Pooley Bridge if I should have to bail out half way around? 

I'm sure there'll be a few more questions before the week is out :D
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Ullswater Way.
« Reply #1 on: 10:52:42, 27/01/20 »
508 bus - or there is always the Steamer.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:23:28, 27/01/20 »
I remember catching a bus once from Penrith to Glenridding, top deck, front seat, a roller coaster ride! Great fun.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:36:56, 28/01/20 »
Tempted to go across and do the Ullswater Way sunday after next.  Not a walk or area I'm familiar with so a couple of questions...

I'll be looking to complete it within the day, has anyone here done it as a day walk?  I'm reckoniong on about  7 - 9 hours of walking, is this being realistic or optimistic?.  How good are transport links back to Pooley Bridge if I should have to bail out half way around? 

I'm sure there'll be a few more questions before the week is out :D

Yup I've done it within the day.  Found it a lovely walk to be honest,  I extended it to include Arthur's Pike and Gowbarrow Fell + Place Fell since they both have lovely panoramas.  This was a pretty massive day to be honest (I did it when it was around 28C and so hot my phone stopped working) so I would bring a head torch - however the basic route is certainly enjoyable. 

Transport links on the east side are poor however Howtown should be running a winter timetable to get you back to wherever you start. 

Would recommend parking at Glenridding and walking a anti- clockwise circular since this provides (in my opinion) the nicer panoramas, and the easier ground on the way back if you are walking by head torch.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:58:58, 28/01/20 »
I'll be looking to complete it within the day, has anyone here done it as a day walk?

Yes, the 508 bus from Patterdale / Glendidding... Penrith is the stretch for bailing out.
Perhaps more relevant: has anyone here done it as a day walk at this time of year?. No problem in summer, but right now it depends how strong a walker you are and/or whether you mind walking with a head-torch.

mountaingal

« Reply #5 on: 11:00:12, 29/01/20 »
That was our rainy day option last summer . If we were getting late, we could have hopped on the bus 508. Fortunately, we had fantastic weather for the whole week. So, didn't try it. Please let me know how you got on as we are going back there again this September.  O0

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:19:52, 29/01/20 »
Thanks for the replies, good to know about the 508 etc.  Fairly strong walker although lacking a little hill fitness at the moment.  Have completed several long walksincluding the LWW on numerous occasions so comfortable walking with a headtorch.  The plan would be to get there just before first light and do the first half hour as the sun comes up thereby maximising my walking/daylight hours.

Only shortfall I can see is the 2 hour each way drive, might have to set off the night before, park up somewhere and have a sleep in the back of the van ready for the off first thing in the morning, otherwise it will be a rather loooooong day.
Will let you know how it pans out Mountaingal  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:33:30, 31/01/20 »
I’m hoping to do this walk in March with some members of my group. The plan is to walk it in a day, then do a shorter walk the day after.
I’m just crossing fingers that I’ll be able to join them! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:46:49, 31/01/20 »
The only thing I’d add to previous posts is: the stretch from just after Side Farm to Howtown is very much not a nice, easy stroll by the lake - it’s a surprisingly tough walk compared to how it appears on the map.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:10:11, 31/01/20 »
The only thing I’d add to previous posts is: the stretch from just after Side Farm to Howtown is very much not a nice, easy stroll by the lake - it’s a surprisingly tough walk compared to how it appears on the map.

Yup, I was thinking that when I said Glenridding (or Patterdale) anti-clockwise.  You get the Side-Farm to Howtown section out of the way first - then decide how you're doing time wise.  If you want to save time just get the steamer from Howtown to Pooley and then continue south on the easiest part of the 'Way'. 

That said, the route from Howtown to The Cockpit then down into Pooley is a lovely walk with nice views of the fells so I'd always take that instead of the road route - with the ramblers bar at Howtown about the only drink/food stop you'll get till you're at Pooley.

Western side - Airy Crag is (imo) the easiest peak to bag all day and well worth it, you can follow the route down to Aira Force which is a nice change of scenery, and probably easier than the route down Hind Crag if you take the route around.   From then onwards you've got a couple of hours of leisurely walking with lake views - Patterdale car park is £6 a day I believe so would be reasonable, and if I was being civilised I'd book a table somewhere to restock on those carbs.

GordonHorwich

« Reply #10 on: 14:04:05, 05/02/20 »
Looks nicely do-able in a day. The site doesn't show the total ascent but can be worked out with some planning. Probably a good idea to start walking a little before dawn at this time of year but this Saturday sees 25 mile Anglezarke Amble with an 8am start and that includes some pretty tough terrain with a time limit of 10 hours (luckily the final couple of miles is the easiest).
Think I may have a go at it, but probably after clocks go forward.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy