Author Topic: Walking For Life Photographs  (Read 5144 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking For Life Photographs
« Reply #15 on: 23:28:19, 22/12/07 »
Just had a look at this post. I'm truly gobsmacked.  Worra walk.  We're too humble.... [bows and scrapes]

But this is just the start, though, surely. Whatever next? C'mon, there must be plans for even more  BIIIG walks.....??  No, I mean BIIIIIIIIGGGGG walks....

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:34:51, 23/12/07 »
Thats very good of you mike, few ideas in the pipeline, i will let you know and yet again thank you for your kind words  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:56:20, 23/12/07 »
I know a couple of people who do this type of epic walk - a couple of  mates have done Lands End - JOG plus the TGO challenge in the middle, but one also did Lands End-Kent and back. The thing is, they often say "never again" - then they do it again...
What I liked about your walk was the unusual pattern it formed on a map of the UK. None of this end-to-end or coast to coast [censored]****x. A true ramble.
Fab stuff.
You should do it again. Its inspirational.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:50:47, 24/12/07 »
What I liked about your walk was the unusual pattern it formed on a map of the UK. None of this end-to-end or coast to coast [censored]****x. A true ramble.

What I like about Summit's route is that it would be quite difficult to replicate (I mean even the map on Summit's own site is out by a hundred or so miles), in it's ad hoc pattern, it weaves about all over the place, and in the words of one person on this forum (Titaniumdude) "sums up the British LDP experience".  Yet I still have a lasting respect for Lands End - John O'Groats and the Coast to Coast.  The problem, though, with both of these walks is that they are so over-trodden that they fail to stand out anymore.

I think for charity raising, walks have to stand out in their own merit, they have to grab the public's attention, which is something Summit seemed greatly aware of.  The result, as you say, is "a true ramble".

O0

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:36:16, 24/12/07 »
Anybody taking on LEJOG deserves a far bit of respect and Wainwright's CtoC route is a challenge for most people. But Wainwright did say that his route was just an example of what could be done and that people should invent their own CtoC walks. Not many people do this, though, and, it has to be said that most of his route is quite good
There's no set LEJOG route although many people seem to follow the same obvious bits - eg Pennine Way, West Highland Way, Great Glen Way and so on.
The real prize belongs to somebody who includes Cantebury Cathedral, The Forth Road Bridge and The Cavern Club in Liverpool - though not necessarily in that order! (random selection of places by the way)
Maybe the route could spell out a word or phrase when plotted on a large scale map... "Help?"  ... or "Somebody stop me" (that would have to be a long walk!
So, who's for a CtoC from Arnside to Flamborough Head...... or maybe St. Bees to Lindisfarne......  Holyhead to Gt yarmouth......? ... the English/Scottish Border Berwick to Gretna?     A big circle?

kkm

« Reply #20 on: 21:23:28, 24/12/07 »
loved the photo's :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:21:16, 27/12/07 »
Thank you so much, all the best to you and your family for 2008  :)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:55:30, 27/12/07 »
What I liked about this route is the way the route went, different form the C2C and Land end most people do these walks as there well known and easy to plan, were with summit's it must of been that more difficult to organise something like this.  And that way most of us stick to the main LDP I think summit had a very challenging walk and to plan such an event was quite catastrophic, but at the same time want a fantastic achievement.  And to achieve the end results must of been amazing, but like I read some where ( The satisfaction you feel is intensely personal and can not be shared the sense of achievement is yours alone, simply because you have earned it alone)    Splendid pictures summit.  I loved to create my own LDP.  Needs lots of careful planning/time  to do  such a thing.

Me and my partner was planning on doing the TGO challenge 400 hundred  people got in for the 2008 so we just started planning the SUW for next Easter which were looking forward to doing.   Need to start seriously training and building up for it over the next couple of months.......

I really think you did well summit Especially as you did it solo which more difficult than doing it with some else and you can push each over to the next stage were you didn't have that T-dude found this when doing the PW as his mate drop out due to injury on the last day of the walk I drove a road of what I can remember  and saw him walking up he stopped and we chatted I felt like giving him a lift but had to drive on took our dog for a run and drove to the pub were I met him.  He found it hard going on his own I think you're mind and body takes over and you just push on.  With you're self.   

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:00:39, 30/12/07 »
Thank You W/G

I do think you need a strong mind, as some times it can be so hard to keep going, when a few things start to go wrong... i.e;-  injury, wrong way, places closed when you get there ( because you forgot it was Sunday or Wednesday afternoon).

But i found that you learn to see the little things and you become aware that their is still goodness in mankind (on the whole)...

Wow that was deep for me  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy