Author Topic: Belay Jacket, Fleece or Something else  (Read 1838 times)

Taxboy

Belay Jacket, Fleece or Something else
« on: 15:06:39, 09/10/19 »
I'm looking for a new jacket I can use for birding / wildlife photography so needs to be rustle free and muted colour. I've already got a Paramo Halcon, which I use when the weather turns foul.

What I'm looking for is something I can chuck on when the temperature drops to take the chill off in dry conditions - I have a lightweight waterproof shell I carry for unexpected wet moments!  As there will be plenty of standing around I'm thinking Belay jacket or heavyweight fleece. I'm a little wary of down given the cost andthe outers dont seem that robust for occasional forays into the undergrowth

Any ideas please

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Belay Jacket, Fleece or Something else
« Reply #1 on: 17:04:31, 09/10/19 »
Isn’t the Halcon warm enough by itself in cold dry conditions?

If not why not just wear a simple warm base layer or mid layer underneath it? You could easily use a merino wool jumper, for example.

Or you could get a Paramo Torres gilet to slip over top of Halcon, perhaps.

Taxboy

« Reply #2 on: 18:13:56, 09/10/19 »
The Halcon is a great jacket but sometimes it is overkill so I'm looking for something a little less bulky I can chuck on when the weather isn't that bad

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:31:54, 09/10/19 »
Sorry, can't help but I was struck by that you looking for something 'rustle-free,' does such an item of clothing exist? I've only ever known rustling jackets. My first one was from Blacks, bought it years ago, it was Goretex and it was the noisiest garment in the world!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:59:58, 09/10/19 »
Looking in my wardrobe for suitable recommendations:
Buffalo Special 6
Snugpak Sleeka
Issue thing with micropile inner and pertex outer (thin but lovely and warm)
Issue fleece
And options for underneath:
Issue microfleece
Norwegian shirt
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

scottk

« Reply #5 on: 23:38:22, 09/10/19 »
Maybe a Rab vapour rise or a Montane prism jacket. Both pretty light and pack small

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:41:56, 10/10/19 »
I have a heavy fleece on the outside / fibre pile on the inside jacket 'made' by Hoggs of Fife, purchased at an agricultural merchants for less than £40. Drab green, tough, and windproof/warm enough for all weather dog walking in Orkney. A bit heavy though, but that shouldn't be an issue for birding.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Taxboy

« Reply #7 on: 10:14:25, 10/10/19 »
Sorry, can't help but I was struck by that you looking for something 'rustle-free,' does such an item of clothing exist? I've only ever known rustling jackets. My first one was from Blacks, bought it years ago, it was Goretex and it was the noisiest garment in the world!

If you don't need waterproof then fleece is almost silent. Also jackets with a peach finish e.g. stuff designed for hunting are reasonably quiet as is Paramo, which has a silk finish. I do agree most walking jackets do sound like a crisp packet being scrunched up  :)

Taxboy

« Reply #8 on: 10:16:44, 10/10/19 »
Looking in my wardrobe for suitable recommendations:
Buffalo Special 6
Snugpak Sleeka
Issue thing with micropile inner and pertex outer (thin but lovely and warm)
Issue fleece
And options for underneath:
Issue microfleece
Norwegian shirt

Thanks for that. Unrelated question is the Norwegian shirt still considered a good option. I understood it was made from cotton and would soak up and retain moisture rather than let it pass through ?

Taxboy

« Reply #9 on: 10:31:16, 10/10/19 »
Maybe a Rab vapour rise or a Montane prism jacket. Both pretty light and pack small

Thanks for that I'll give them a look

Taxboy

« Reply #10 on: 10:32:34, 10/10/19 »
I have a heavy fleece on the outside / fibre pile on the inside jacket 'made' by Hoggs of Fife, purchased at an agricultural merchants for less than £40. Drab green, tough, and windproof/warm enough for all weather dog walking in Orkney. A bit heavy though, but that shouldn't be an issue for birding.

Thanks for the steer. Looks great value

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:21:53, 10/10/19 »
Thanks for that. Unrelated question is the Norwegian shirt still considered a good option. I understood it was made from cotton and would soak up and retain moisture rather than let it pass through ?
Depends on the situation. Mostly I use its microfleece replacement, but in cold dry places I prefer the collar of the Norgie.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Ronin83

« Reply #12 on: 22:19:41, 11/10/19 »
Crag hoppers compresslite jacket. Think it's on version 3 now.
Cheap, good warmth to weight ratio and as its synthetic moisture isn't a problem. It's water resistant too.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:18:29, 13/10/19 »
X2 for Buffalo shirt or jacket, keeps you insulated when wet too but better if you have a light waterproof over-layer.

hinch184

« Reply #14 on: 14:02:44, 14/10/19 »
I'd be tempted to check out Montane fleeces, last one I had was really warm, silent, thick.....just a good overall cold weather fleece.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy