Author Topic: Kinderscout Advice  (Read 1273 times)

Pipp

Kinderscout Advice
« on: 07:00:52, 17/07/19 »
Hi all,

I'm looking at heading to Kinderscout soon as I've never been. It'll be just me and my four legged friend and I'm just after a bit advice as to whether people would recommend to ascend Jacobs Ladder and descend Grindsbrook Clough or vice versa?

Thanks.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Kinderscout Advice
« Reply #1 on: 07:44:27, 17/07/19 »
Grindsbrook is more of a scramble so I go up there and back down JL.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:23:14, 17/07/19 »
Agreed, the rocky Grindsbrook is much more enjoyable in ascent.

snaderson

« Reply #3 on: 13:22:54, 17/07/19 »
If you don't want to clamber over rocks, you could go up/down Grindsbrook Knoll. Or, for a longer walk, the zigzag path below Ringing Roger (badly eroded last time I was there, but I have a feeling they were working on it).

Florence Lamb

« Reply #4 on: 14:27:58, 17/07/19 »
Up Grindsbrook down Jacobs ladder in my opinion. Done both ways several times with two dogs

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:08:25, 17/07/19 »
Agree with the rest, up Grindsbrook and down the ladder  O0
Where there's a will ...

Pipp

« Reply #6 on: 17:20:01, 17/07/19 »

Looks like it's up Grindsbrook then, thank you everyone.
I have a very bouncy Cocker Spaniel so I'm sure she'll love it!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:56:21, 18/07/19 »
You'll love it Pipp, I'm sure....and so will your pooch!
If possible, go on a week-day as it gets really busy on fine weather weekends. If you have to go at a weekend, get there as early as you can.

P.S The main car park in Edale costs about a fiver (or just under)....but the walk is worth it O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Pipp

« Reply #8 on: 20:07:24, 18/07/19 »
Thank you Sunnydale, I can't wait!
I was thinking of making a little weekend of it and heading over on a Friday to arrive around late afternoon and camp over ready to walk on the Saturday so I can set off early, what sort of time would you advise to be out for?

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:49:10, 19/07/19 »
Thank you Sunnydale, I can't wait!
I was thinking of making a little weekend of it and heading over on a Friday to arrive around late afternoon and camp over ready to walk on the Saturday so I can set off early, what sort of time would you advise to be out for?

Hi Pipp,

Camping is a great idea! :)

If it's a warm/hot day, set off as early as you can after brekkie so you can do the climb up Grindsbrook at your own pace, before it gets too hot. There is little shade on the way up and once you're on Kinder, you'll be exposed for a few hours to the elements, whatever they may be on the day. There are often a lot of people going up onto Kinder via Grindsbrook at weekends, so by leaving early, you'll also hopefully avoid the crowds on the climb.  You wont have to worry too much about your dog either, as I presume he/she will be off lead?
Kids are on holiday from school now too and it's surprising how many climb up with their parents when the sun is shining.

Just to add....as you near the top section of Grindsbrook, the clough splits off to the right.  Most people carry on straight up but I personally prefer taking the right hand 'fork'.  It's just more fun to scramble up O0

Have a great time!

Tracey :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Pipp

« Reply #10 on: 20:05:46, 22/07/19 »
Thank you very much that's really helpful!

Ralph

« Reply #11 on: 18:10:17, 23/07/19 »
My favourite route is from Hope rail station car park  and head towards Crookstone Barn, then climb up to Madwomens Stones. From there walk the southern edge to  Ringing Roger then down Golden Clough into Edale. A pint in the Nag and then the train to Hope. Done this route a few times and it has always been very quiet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy