Author Topic: Go Outdoors - Warning Re Slow Deliveries  (Read 1468 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Go Outdoors - Warning Re Slow Deliveries
« on: 13:16:20, 21/08/19 »
This might of interest to any Go Outdoors customers waiting for deliveries for the coming Bank Holiday.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/08/go-outdoors-customers-complain-about-array-of-problems-including/

It's just another in a long line of never ending problems since Go Outdoors was sold to the JD Sports Group for £112 million in late 2016.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Go Outdoors - Warning Re Slow Deliveries
« Reply #1 on: 17:02:16, 21/08/19 »
We touched upon GO problems recently in the Small Rant Thread in the Hikers Bar.
Since then, I drove 6 miles last week to my nearest store, wanting their own brand of gas which at 220g is a bit lighter and a bit cheaper than other brands that are 230g or 250g.
There were only two on the shelf, I chose the undented one.
I was relieved to have got what I went there for, but at the till the cashier immediately thrust a satisfaction survey at me to complete on the card machine, and when I airily declined she got quite ratty with me.
It wasn't the most pleasant of shopping experiences.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:37:04, 22/08/19 »
Funny, I was on their website trying to buy some climbing gear yesterday - since they seemed to offer some of the better prices.

As it happened, despite being able to 'buy' the items online (they were shown as in stock), their site wouldn't send the items to my address 'no delivery for this order' - they required I pick the order up instead.  ...Okay, not a major problem, I live near a few GO stores ... put in my postcode ...  not a single store within 3 hours driving time has them in stock, in fact they didn't show one store which did have them in stock. 

Shouldn't be surprised for an Ashley business.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:34:23, 22/08/19 »
Except for thesple fact that it usnitan Ashley business. JD Sports are the owners.

Ashley's company owns Sports Direct, Newcastle United and House of Fraser. I think they also have a decent shareholding in Debenham. (Also brand name Karrimor)

JD owns Blacks, Millets, JD Sports, and a few others Inc. Brands such as Peter Storm.
Too little, too late, too bad......

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:50:40, 22/08/19 »
...  not a single store within 3 hours driving time has them in stock, in fact they didn't show one store which did have them in stock.

Quite common now for most chain stores, a large percentage of items shown are click-and-collect only (for GO) or web-only for many others. Even when not web-only, there are items that are not in stock at any store - they wait for someone to order them and then import them from the manufacturer.

Ashley's stores like SportsDirect also charge for click-and-collect, the same amount as standard delivery and he was urging Debenhams to do the same in his negotiations with the company, good grief.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:34:04, 22/08/19 »
Quite common now for most chain stores, a large percentage of items shown are click-and-collect only (for GO) or web-only for many others. Even when not web-only, there are items that are not in stock at any store - they wait for someone to order them and then import them from the manufacturer.

Ashley's stores like SportsDirect also charge for click-and-collect, the same amount as standard delivery and he was urging Debenhams to do the same in his negotiations with the company, good grief.
but at Ashley's stores you are given a voucher to spend in store to the value of the delivery. Also if the goods are not as expected they accept them back immediately no questions asked.

Just saying. Debenham were reported to be losing £5.00 per order delivered to store or direct to the home. Not really a way to keep people's jobs is it?
Too little, too late, too bad......

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:55:21, 22/08/19 »
at Ashley's stores you are given a voucher to spend in store to the value of the delivery. Also if the goods are not as expected they accept them back immediately no questions asked.

Just saying. Debenham were reported to be losing £5.00 per order delivered to store or direct to the home

Quite interesting, but what do I know, I'm not a businessman - probably just as well  ;D
Ashley is many things but he's not stupid.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:38:22, 28/08/19 »
As it happened, despite being able to 'buy' the items online (they were shown as in stock), their site wouldn't send the items to my address 'no delivery for this order' - they required I pick the order up instead.  ...Okay, not a major problem, I live near a few GO stores ... put in my postcode ...  not a single store within 3 hours driving time has them in stock, in fact they didn't show one store which did have them in stock. 

I had the same recently, in stock but not available for delivery, so i assumed that click and collect just meant it would be delivered to the store (it used it be like that i'm sure).  No stores with 100 miles had it available. 

So I ordered from Alpinetrek.  Germany to Uk without any hassle. 

Snowman

« Reply #8 on: 23:10:28, 12/09/19 »
We touched upon GO problems recently in the Small Rant Thread in the Hikers Bar.
Since then, I drove 6 miles last week to my nearest store, wanting their own brand of gas which at 220g is a bit lighter and a bit cheaper than other brands that are 230g or 250g.
There were only two on the shelf, I chose the undented one.
I was relieved to have got what I went there for, but at the till the cashier immediately thrust a satisfaction survey at me to complete on the card machine, and when I airily declined she got quite ratty with me.

I recently called in on my way to a camping trip with my kids, intending to buy, like you, a gas cylinder.   They had two tills open, and on each one there was some problem with the current purchasers' membership (or whatever they call it) card.  I stood around for about 10 minutes during which time the problems seemed insoluble, so dumped the gas and walked out.   I wonder if they're more interested in keeping tabs on potential customers than actually selling stuff.   Whatever, it might be my nearest store but I won't be going there again if I can help it.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:37:23, 13/09/19 »
The stock thing becomes really apparent with sales items. Very prominent on the website but the reality’s all they have left is a single XXXL jacket in their Dundee store.

While I sympathise with people who’ve been let down, if I was going camping on Monday I wouldn’t rely on ordering stuff on Saturday for next day delivery. That’s just daft.
« Last Edit: 08:40:00, 13/09/19 by Percy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:13:40, 13/09/19 »

Should have changed your mind and let the survey reflect that!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy