Author Topic: Planning for next year  (Read 2092 times)

dank86

Planning for next year
« on: 12:23:00, 23/07/18 »
I'm planning a trip for next year but can't decide whether to do the TMB or Kungsleden. Anyone have experience of either?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning for next year
« Reply #1 on: 12:34:03, 23/07/18 »
I've only hiked the TMB and really thought this route was first class. I found it easy to get to as well, out to Geneva by plane then mini bus. The best starting point I believe is Les Houche, camp site there as well. If in Chamonix, walk into the town from the train station and then turn left and follow the river bank path, keeping to the right of the water and an easy path until you arrive at Les Houche train station - or catch a train or bus there.

If you actually start from Chamonix you have really one zig zag hard climb to the TMB on the top of the mountain (or go up by cable car) and then if hiking anti clockwise (which is the best way I believe) you then have one long downhill section to walk only to arrive at Les Houche.

dank86

« Reply #2 on: 12:57:41, 23/07/18 »
What were the resupply points like? I'm probably going to be soloing and more likely with my tent so want to keep weight down

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:00:30, 23/07/18 »
Its one of the best, camp sites, Refuges, Hotels, shops, villages all over the place! I also liked it because it is genuinly international as well, you'll meet people from all over the world. I remember meeting an 80 year old Aussie plumber, he was on horseback and obsessed with watching Prof. Alice Roberts on TV.

I especially liked Cormayuer, a cafe afterwards with yurts at the base of a mountain and then Champex further on. When you get to Champex (the campsite is on the main road, just on from the lake, on the right) you have a choice, the route over Fenetre d'Arpette with a stroll past a glacier (if its not melted) to the camp site at Hotel Forclaz, or via the Bovine route which is more of a footpath with a Refuge for a beer as well. This also ends up at the Hotel Forclaz. You will need to choose.

IanyZen

« Reply #4 on: 20:40:47, 24/07/18 »
Hi Dank,
I walked from Contamines to Zermatt (Walkers Haute Route) last June/July, with four days on the TMB
(You can read the trip report on here - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33905.0)
I have also been to Abisko, Sweden, which is at the start of the Kungsleden, I think.
I did a bit of research a while back on Kungsleden and the two treks seem quite different.
(I didn't do it as it was too difficult to get my dog to Sweden)
Kungsleden is mostly walking between the mountains and is very very remote, whereas the TMB will be up over the mountains, lots more walkers any time of the year and closer to towns and civilisation, plus goes through three different countries/cultures.
Both will have their challenges, both will be epic and fantastic.
What kind of walk would you prefer?
Ian & Zen
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 20:48:22, 24/07/18 »
Hi Ian & Zen,

This is where I'm having issues, I enjoy both types walking lol. I think I'm leaning more to the TMB I've got guide books on each coming. Both look spectacular in their own ways and your right in Abisko being the start :)

Looking at the TMB camping along the route seems like it could be an issue and struggling to get hut prices for next year too.

How did you find the haute route?

IanyZen

« Reply #6 on: 22:29:56, 24/07/18 »
Hi,
On the TMB Camping may not be an issue if you go at the right time.
I started at end of June last year.
I camped at campsites in Contamines, Les Houches and Champex.  The other two nights I wild camped at Lac de Cherseys (pls see my trip report for photos)
The walk from Les Houches via col de Brevent to Lac de Cherseys was one of the best ever I have done, though a long day with over 2000m ascent.
On other occasions I camped close to the huts and ate in the huts. Now they may say this is not permitted in books, but I never had an issue where I went in France & Switzerland.
I think the huts may be stricter during high season with more folk camping - you can wild camp anywhere.
I researched the TMB and it was my original choice, but I found out about the Walkers Haute Route and opted for that - It was amazing - the Europaweg was spelling-bindling crazy. Definitely recommended.

Abisko - I flew with Norwegian from Gatwick to Kiruna then took the train to Abisko - stayed a hostel with free sauna (they all have free saunas).
It might be worth checking out the wild fire damage on the Kungsleden trek

Both treks are not going anywhere, so you can do both, but which one first.
Ian & Zen

Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 22:35:45, 24/07/18 »
That sounds good I'm thinking maybe early/mid June.
Did you ask in the huts about camping? From what I read they can get a fine if they can see you, I can see why in high season they'd pick up on it more, I imagine it would be like a festival with tents everywhere lol

Hadn't thought about fire damage on kungsleden. TMB does look really good though lol

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 20:43:51, 26/07/18 »
Just a quick question about the TMB, been looking in to it a lot and have the guide so pretty certain I'll be doing it now lol, but, I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube and it got me thinking what's the exposure like? There are some clips I've seen that look pretty exposed and don't look like they were filmed on a fisheye...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:04:59, 26/07/18 »
Just a quick question about the TMB, been looking in to it a lot and have the guide so pretty certain I'll be doing it now lol, but, I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube and it got me thinking what's the exposure like? There are some clips I've seen that look pretty exposed and don't look like they were filmed on a fisheye...

I don't recall anything being exposed or thinking that something was a long way down. There were a few steep ascents and descents but some of these were on variant routes and mainly zigzagging.

I'm sure you've probably seen it but the official website (once you use the English translation) I found very helpful, could book most of the huts that I wanted to stay in and gave you lots of info about them (water etc). I liked the fact when I booked a hut and went to book the next day it would give you the distance between them and approx time. Even if you don't book using it, it's still a very good site to plan a trip.

http://www.autourdumontblanc.com/en/
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dank86

« Reply #10 on: 21:07:34, 26/07/18 »
That's good to know re exposure, must be camera trickery lol. Yea I've been on the site, super helpful though it tells my the huts are closed for the dated I'm looking at, I'm guessing it's not ready for next year yet says the same for July too

dank86

« Reply #11 on: 21:21:15, 26/07/18 »
I'm also looking on to the feasibility of actually summiting mont blanc, if I'm there and it's possible it would be criminal not to lol

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:18:28, 27/07/18 »
I started the Haute Route in July a few years ago but couldn't finish. I started in Chamonix, moved to the haute route proper from there (turn left at the southern end of town) and everything went fine until I was hign in the mountains. Came to a Refuge to find that the pass ahead was thick with fresh snow, no one had got through for a week.

Like other people who soon arrived, we went throught a bit of dithering before deciding not to risk it and then hiked elsewhere. I ended up going towards Aosta, then reurned to Cormayeur, caught the bus through the tunnel to Chamonix and flew home.

I promised myself I would complete it but so far never have.

I had no problems camping on the Tour du Mont Blanc, Les Houche, Contamines, a free one (with restaurant) where the route turns sharp left towards Italy, Cormayurer, then a Refuge, then I think La Foully (the Dutch were everywhere!) Champex, La Forcaz, plus a few wild camps in between.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:43:54, 28/07/18 »
Was just thinking. I said I didn't remember any exposed bits on the TMB but I forgot about the ladder section heading up towards Lac Blanc. Probably not advisable if you don't have a head for heights but there is an alternative route that avoids it.

The TMB has many days with alternative/variante routes so much so that I considered doing it again but this time taking the different routes. I walked it in 10 days but 6 of them had alternative routes so it wouldn't be the same walk the second time  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy