Author Topic: SWC camping and backpacking  (Read 4566 times)

Shrops

SWC camping and backpacking
« on: 10:38:42, 08/06/10 »
I mate of mine has asked me about backpacking part of the South West Coast walk from Lands End to Falmouth and has asked if there is scope for wild camping and is the walk compatible with carrying a backpack. I have not done the SWC so do not know it.

My mate has done Hadrian's Wall with me and we are doing Offa's Dyke in September both backpacking.

Any suggestions about the SWC would be helpful and I will pass it on

Thanks
Hadrian's Wall 2009,10,13
Coast to Coast 2009,2014
Offa's Dyke
Sandstone Trail
Cotswold Way
Severn Way
South Downs Way
Coleridge Way

Wurz

• Veteran Member
Re: SWC camping and backpacking
« Reply #1 on: 09:11:39, 09/06/10 »
Not sure what you mean about being compatible with a backpack, if you have trouble carrying stuff then there are sherpa services available.

With rgds wild camping the area is very busy and whilst you may find spots you would need to be very discrete as pretty much all of the time you will be close to habitation and enclosed farmland.  The area has billions of campsites but during peak season prebooking is advisable as many will be full.

Shrops

« Reply #2 on: 09:28:14, 09/06/10 »
Thanks Wurz

What I mean by "compatible with a backpack" is carrying your camp stuff with you and not using a sherpa (I never use sherpa myself as I like to camp as and when I like not be pre-booked) But this is not for me but a mate.

I will let him know that there are loads of campsites but having looked on line so many seem to be off track and sometimes by a fair distance

Hadrian's Wall 2009,10,13
Coast to Coast 2009,2014
Offa's Dyke
Sandstone Trail
Cotswold Way
Severn Way
South Downs Way
Coleridge Way

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:49:35, 09/06/10 »
There's no laws against being seen out with a sac on in Cornwall so you will be fine on that count, the locals may point and stare a bit though!  ;)

It's very up and down too, especially the Land's End/Lizard part.  so given the gradients, flat, discrete pitches may be a problem.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:47:49, 09/06/10 »
I met a bloke recently at Lands End youth hostel who was doing the whole path, he said he had done about 200 miles so far. He was carrying a very heavy rucksack with camping gear in it, but had only used it twice because he used B & B and hostels. I picked it up, it was a heck of a weight, and he was quite skinny. I would think to unpack and pack that lot every night would be a bit of a pain. He looked quite healthy and fit but he did admit to feeling a bit worn out, but then he was 73 years old.
Ilona

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:41:47, 13/06/10 »
I've not done that section, but have done parts of the SWC path (Plymouth heading West), with backpack and wild camping.

Backpacking is fine, though it's amazing how the constant up and down takes it's toll on your knees - far more than any hill walking I've ever done.

Wild camping isn't easy. It took us a long time to find a pitch each night for the reasons Wurz mentioned, though we did manage it. Finding water was harder, so top up at every opportunity.

After our last night someone told us that lots of people wild camp on the beaches, which we avoided because we weren't sure of the high tide level. If you can do that it makes wild camping much more viable.

Or, identify some farms along the route and ask permission. I believe the SWC path association can help with that, and may even have a list.

Here's pictures of my three pitches on the path:

Mark

Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:39:02, 16/06/10 »

After our last night someone told us that lots of people wild camp on the beaches, which we avoided because we weren't sure of the high tide level. If you can do that it makes wild camping much more viable.

I didn't mention beaches as I think a lot of the ones to the west tend to be built up.  Certainly the more out of the way beaches or ones below high cliffs can be camped on no probs.  On Southdowns walk pretty much anywhere from Rame Head to Tregantle for example. Check for spring tides (not just in spring) but for most of the beaches it's easy to see the highest point reached by the winter storms, so ok during the summer.  Though often this part of the beach will be pebbly, some of which may have tar on.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy