Author Topic: US Expat, wanting to do some long walks and wild camping  (Read 2372 times)

scott_allore

Hi All, I am in London for the next couple years with my wife and 5 year old daughter.  I've lived in San Francisco Area of California, the Big Island of Hawaii, and a stint in Seoul, SK (work).  Looing forward to learning from you all and hope to get some good ideas where I can sleep under the stars.

Scott

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: US Expat, wanting to do some long walks and wild camping
« Reply #1 on: 20:05:17, 10/02/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. My suggestion is to start by looking at www.nationaltrail.co.uk, www.gps-routes.co.uk and use Bing maps because you have full and free access to Ordance Survey maps across the whole country.

I have never found it difficult to find wild camping places. I just look around for a place before I go for a meal or a pint of beer, return to my chosen spot and erect my tent at dusk or when dark. I work on the principle of being discrete, I get up early, pack and just go. I sort out myself and rucksack properly a bit later and then have breakfast.

scott_allore

« Reply #2 on: 20:26:55, 10/02/19 »
Thanks for the tips, I will check out the links.  I've read a lot about arrive late, leave early, leave no trace and I should be fine.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:32:34, 10/02/19 »
Welcome to the forum and to the UK.

If there is an area that you are thinking of going we can probably offer recommendations of routes between us.

scott_allore

« Reply #4 on: 08:04:18, 11/02/19 »
This time of year, I am thinking Southwest England.  I will be in the Surrey area a few days each week for a while, so anything further out there I can take off after work on Fridays would be great. 

Aside from that, I am interested in the Peak District, Lake District, and Cairngormes in Scotland.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:36:49, 11/02/19 »
Welcome to the forum from the Orkney Islands, Scott.

Wild Camping is officially allowed on Dartmoor and on the high land in the Lake District.

http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/new-camping-map
https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/where-to-stay/wild-camping

And, with a few exceptions, pretty much anywhere in Scotland!

PS - the Cairngorms are wonderful - somewhere where you can really immerse yourself in the wilds.
I made a one night camping foray last year - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36669.0
« Last Edit: 08:49:45, 11/02/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:08:18, 11/02/19 »
This time of year, I am thinking Southwest England.  I will be in the Surrey area a few days each week for a while, so anything further out there I can take off after work on Fridays would be great. 

Aside from that, I am interested in the Peak District, Lake District, and Cairngormes in Scotland.

The South Downs Way may be a good starter for you whilst based in Surrey.
99 miles, walking classed as 'easy'.

https://ramblingman.org.uk/planningatrip/planning_south_downs_way_trip

Several other walks listed down the right hand side of the page.

scott_allore

« Reply #7 on: 16:42:03, 15/02/19 »
Thanks everyone, I have my research set out!

scott_allore

« Reply #8 on: 11:21:56, 03/03/19 »

The South Downs Way may be a good starter for you whilst based in Surrey.
99 miles, walking classed as 'easy'.

https://ramblingman.org.uk/planningatrip/planning_south_downs_way_trip [nofollow]

Several other walks listed down the right hand side of the page.

[nofollow]

Thanks for this.  I went and did 15 miles on the South Downs Way yesterday.  I was planning to wild camp, but I didn't have the confidence to find a place to spend the night.  I guess that's one of the more populated trails...

I am planning to head back down there, possibly to the Tiffen Park??  to camp this month.  It's really beautiful there.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:34:45, 03/03/19 »
Isn't it great when we get feed back from a new poster! Thanks for the wee update and I hope you
find more useful links on the forum, I'm sure you will.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:29:35, 03/03/19 »
Welcome. Don't forget there are bothies too around the UK basic simple shelters, usually without toilet facilities, in remote areas that are free to use. Look up the Mountain Bothies Association for details.

scott_allore

« Reply #11 on: 16:44:10, 03/03/19 »
Welcome. Don't forget there are bothies too around the UK basic simple shelters, usually without toilet facilities, in remote areas that are free to use. Look up the Mountain Bothies Association for details.

Oh this is great, this is exactly what Im looking for.  I tend to not want to break rules, but living in central London I just need some time away from people!  I'll check it out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:37:38, 03/03/19 »

This may be of use:

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/location-map/

..although they have reached their daily internet limit on Ordnance Survey map use, so check back tomorrow!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy