Author Topic: Print your own maps  (Read 5653 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Print your own maps
« Reply #15 on: 15:45:24, 06/01/19 »

Two smart phones, (one for calls+OS app back up, & a tough phone solely used for the OS app) + gps + compass..I always say to myself I must print a tile of the OS route too, but just lately I haven`t done that unless it looks really tricky to me.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:15:39, 06/01/19 »
I carry an older etrex + dedicated cheap simless phone for Viewranger + normal smartphone +map  and compass ( the last two in my emergency bag with my first aid kit). I have a 14w solar charger on the back of my rucksack which keeps my phone battery charge pack charged up. I can also plug it directly into a phone should I feel like it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:20:21, 06/01/19 »
Thanks Ninthace will gave a look into Base Camp when I get back home and on my PC.
I prefer my ultimate backup to be in scale which is why I always carry a paper OS map. Luckily I plod he same areas so haven't needed to buy too many and for the real biggies have had the A-Z booklets which are to scale. All in pristine condition cause I've never needed them to date.

As for Bing maps , BusyG, well if I was ever stuck anywhere I wonder what people on this forum would say if told I was dependant on Bing maps to get me up the north side of Ben Nevis or wherever.

When I climbed Ben Nevis I printed and laminated all my maps from Bing Maps through word.  I had no GPS at all on that trip. So carried a full Os map as backup and a spare compass.  I climbed via CMD arete and the visibility was very poor.  As I am still here, I hope that answers your question. ;)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:06:41, 07/01/19 »

When I climbed Ben Nevis I printed and laminated all my maps from Bing Maps through word.  I had no GPS at all on that trip. So carried a full Os map as backup and a spare compass.  I climbed via CMD arete and the visibility was very poor.  As I am still here, I hope that answers your question. ;)
Yes ,you did answer the question, second time around, clearly when conditions dictate, you carry scale maps.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:35:09, 10/01/19 »
What are those who printed  from Bing going to use now that scale OS maps are no longer available? Are there any other options for freebies.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:30:31, 14/01/19 »
What are those who printed  from Bing going to use now that scale OS maps are no longer available? Are there any other options for freebies.
Have a look at Trailzilla.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:39:36, 14/01/19 »
Have a look at Trailzilla.
I asked too soon.
 I also had a look at Trailzilla. Too inquisitive,  looks like a data gathering site.
 Since OS is back on Bing I will sit down and have a good look at its printability as advised on another topic on the forum.

Rather be walking

« Reply #22 on: 11:43:15, 15/01/19 »
looks like a data gathering site.
Bing does too, they all do.
Jon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:44:32, 15/01/19 »
When print off my walk maps, which are usually at a size easy to see the route or features, scale is not a problem, I use a wheel to measure distance, then drag it back across the grid lines, counting off the number crossed till the dial goes back to zero. Always seems to give me an accurate enough measure until I can get back on digital.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy