Author Topic: Lake District......Southern Fells  (Read 3362 times)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Lake District......Southern Fells
« on: 00:07:17, 24/10/07 »
23rd October 2007

Lake District:   Southern Fells

A fairly straightforward walk today from a layby on the Skelwith Bridge - Coniston road. First I walked to the summit of Black Fell before descending to the ever popular Tarn Hows. After descending to the Glen Mary bridge I visited Tew Tree Tarn and Colwith Force before returning to the car.

Dist:   8.25 miles     Ascent:  1560 feet     Time:  4 hours

Dave

http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Lake District......Southern Fells
« Reply #1 on: 12:55:12, 24/10/07 »
Another nice walk, Dave.  Shame about the weather, but at least it thins the crowds a little.

Do you ususally carry on walking through the Winter as well? I'm not sure when to rest my boots .. I've still a few more planned before Christmas.  ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:58:55, 24/10/07 »
I usually walk all year round but my days of crampons and ice axes are long gone. That doesn't stop us getting onto the higher fells though..."Long live Global Warming"
Not out today.....a set back with the tootsie
Cheers,
Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:37:15, 25/10/07 »
Not out today.....a set back with the tootsie

Don't say it's fallen off with all the walking!  :o  That would be awful, what would I read at work?  :(

I've not really done any Winter hiking before, so I think this Winter I'm going to try a few gentle strolls and see how they fare.  ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:39:05, 25/10/07 »
Don't say it's fallen off with all the walking!  :o  That would be awful, what would I read at work?  :(

I've not really done any Winter hiking before, so I think this Winter I'm going to try a few gentle strolls and see how they fare.  ;)

The toe "flared up" after the last walk, was about 1.5 - 2 times its normal size so I'm giving it a rest for a few days. Anyway with half-term we have the grandkids for the weekend.
Still putting new stuff on the website though from holidays in various places.

Dave

Brian

« Reply #5 on: 19:49:16, 25/10/07 »
Mr B, Winter walking is as much fun and in a way more enjoyable than the rest of the year, its nice to get out and blow the cobwebs away on a cold and crisp day. Winter views are often very clear with better visibility than in the summer.

One of my best (most enjoyable) days walking was January this year with a sprinkling of snow on the hills and a good frost underfoot. I stopped at the top of one of the hills for lunch and had teriffic views of South & North Ireland with the Mountains of Morne, (Not sure of spelling)  Scotland, Cumbrian Fells and down the Welsh coast to Anglesey. Although it was very cold up there it was worth it, only saw one other walker that day.

Brian (Isle of Man)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:03:53, 25/10/07 »
Mr B, Winter walking is as much fun and in a way more enjoyable than the rest of the year, its nice to get out and blow the cobwebs away on a cold and crisp day. Winter views are often very clear with better visibility than in the summer.

One of my best (most enjoyable) days walking was January this year with a sprinkling of snow on the hills and a good frost underfoot. I stopped at the top of one of the hills for lunch and had teriffic views of South & North Ireland with the Mountains of Morne, (Not sure of spelling)  Scotland, Cumbrian Fells and down the Welsh coast to Anglesey. Although it was very cold up there it was worth it, only saw one other walker that day.

Brian (Isle of Man)

I agree with you totally Brian. The colder, thinner air makes for great photography and there's always the chance of a cloud inversion.

Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:41:58, 26/10/07 »

What a lovely thought, you make me very envious that you're in the heart of the Irish Sea and I'm languishing on the east coast  :( Have you not got any pictures you could post of these views? It would be good to see them.  :)

I'm looking forward to some Winter walking, think I'll start with some familiar places first, and then move a little further afield .. to be honest, I fancy some cliff top walking.  I'm itching to see this 'sea mist' that is often talked about and that I have so far missed out on.

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:03:25, 26/10/07 »
What a lovely thought, you make me very envious that you're in the heart of the Irish Sea and I'm languishing on the east coast  :( Have you not got any pictures you could post of these views? It would be good to see them.  :)

I'm looking forward to some Winter walking, think I'll start with some familiar places first, and then move a little further afield .. to be honest, I fancy some cliff top walking.  I'm itching to see this 'sea mist' that is often talked about and that I have so far missed out on.

Mr. B
We walked a section of the Cleveland Way a couple of years ago from Filey Brig to Scarborough. Plenty of sea views there.
Not out this weekend ....toe & Grandkids .....Some new piccies on website though

Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:32:50, 26/10/07 »
Mr. B
We walked a section of the Cleveland Way a couple of years ago from Filey Brig to Scarborough. Plenty of sea views there.

Funny you should mention that, but that's exactly what I have in mind.  I've done large parts of the coastal section of the Cleveland Way before, but somehow missed that section.  Last time I finished a coastal walk to Filey I just wanted to carry on .. I think that section is only small - 8 miles or so, and so might give that a go.

You're a prolific photogapher, do have any pictures of that section that you're intending on putting on your site? Would love to see them.  :)

I finally feel that we have followed some of the same footsteps, Kidsty, good show!  :)
« Last Edit: 21:42:57, 26/10/07 by Mr. Blister »

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:07:49, 26/10/07 »
 Can i ask if anyone has been to the French Alps as from what ive seen via the NET and books , it looks stunning , as i want to take my hols there next year im thinking maybe.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:23:11, 26/10/07 »
Funny you should mention that, but that's exactly what I have in mind.  I've done large parts of the coastal section of the Cleveland Way before, but somehow missed that section.  Last time I finished a coastal walk to Filey I just wanted to carry on .. I think that section is only small - 8 miles or so, and so might give that a go.

You're a prolific photogapher, do have any pictures of that section that you're intending on putting on your site? Would love to see them.  :)

I finally feel that we have followed some of the same footsteps, Kidsty, good show!  :)

I have some of that section , will be putting them on after I finish the Trossachs that I'm currently on with

Dave

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:34:29, 26/10/07 »
Good stuff, will look forward to them!  ;)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:35:40, 27/10/07 »
OK Mr.B.....I've put them on early just for you. Sorry there isn't more but the route is easy to follow and well waymarked

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:25:39, 27/10/07 »
OK Mr.B.....I've put them on early just for you. Sorry there isn't more but the route is easy to follow and well waymarked

Aw, mate, thanks for that.  I looked through those pictures with a sense of nostalgia. I've been to Scarborough so often, climbed up to that castle so many times.  It was good to see you sat on the Wolds Way stone as well.  I think I have an identical picture of me somewhere (though not in the same confidant pose -  ;)).

I think you've cemented the idea in my head of walking the Filey-Scarborough section sometime this Winter.  Walking along clifftops can be an unsettling experience, but for exposure to the elements, it really can't be beat!

am trying to think of how far you walked that day, at a guess, if you don't count the time wandering around Scarborough, it would be somewhere in the region of 13-14 miles.  No small feat!

Thanks again!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy