Author Topic: [TR] The Dartmoor Tops Tour 3-day backpack  (Read 3882 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
[TR] The Dartmoor Tops Tour 3-day backpack
« on: 17:35:44, 25/04/10 »
A grand tour of the listed tops of Dartmoor:- a second visit to the two Nuttall mountains of the region and thirteen new 500m+ Dewey tops, including two of the small group that top 600m.

A Dartmoor backpack had been on the radar for some time, our only previous visit being a day walk in 1995 for the two Nuttalls. A plot of all the tops on Memory-Map suggested a grandslam of the whole group totalling around 56 miles, an ambitious route for 3 days given the long drive there and back, but one that would take me through the wild and remote heartland and out to some of the distinctive tors for which Dartmoor is so renowned. It would have been more relaxed and comfortable over 4 days, but I had 3 and the forecast predicted fine dry weather in the south - the challenge was on.

The heartland of northern Dartmoor is a vast expanse of domed hills and sinuous valleys dotted with rocky tors, a landscape that can test navigation skills for the unfamiliar. On this backpack in clear and mainly sunny weather, I utilized my compass and scrutinized the map detail and contours extensively, far more than on any other trip for years.

The central region of the northern moor is also famed for its bogs, but the recent lack of significant rain was another enticement for this trip. I encountered only a handful of very brief boggy bits and most of those were not up on the high moor, in fact most of the moorland seemed parched - more of a soft crunch than a squelch.

Link:-  Full report & photos

Bill T

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] The Dartmoor Tops Tour 3-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 18:17:37, 25/04/10 »
Excellent report and the photo's are superb.  Dartmoor is my traditional stomping ground and it looks like you really got the best of it O0
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:40:50, 26/04/10 »
Thanks Bill, it's a fine walking and backpacking area (except maybe when the Ten Tors mob are out in their hundreds!). I read some of your reports recently when researching for the trip.

robd

« Reply #3 on: 15:17:59, 26/04/10 »
Hi, great trip report and photos as always.  Ive always enjoyed your site... when i first got into walking a few years back, your website was a font of knowledge for me... so a personal thanks from me!  You also emailed back to a question i sent you about winter walking and crampons!!

SouthDowns

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:26:14, 26/04/10 »
Brilliant report as always. Glad Belstone car park worked out for you!
Signature space for rent. Reasonable rates apply.

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:03:48, 26/04/10 »
Excellent report and pics as usual. Enjoyed reading that O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:05:50, 26/04/10 »
RobD - Yes I remember that. Thanks and welcome.

Mark
Glad Belstone car park worked out for you
A brilliant car park - free, relaxed, plenty of space, no bureaucratic restrictions, I wish there were more like that.

JulianC - Thanks again, another good trip.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy