Author Topic: TR; Circumnavigation of Bath, 17 miles. Sunday 13/6/10  (Read 2491 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
We walked around the outside of Bath, starting from Bathampton near the canal, via Batheaston and up onto Solsbury Hill (ref Peter Gabriel, who lives near Bath). Then to Lansdown, through the racecourse (no racing today, luckily) and the golf course. Then we dropped down and walked along the river for a few miles before cutting through Twerton and up to the Bear Flat area of Bath.  

Here we rested at the church of St Luke, where a kind gentleman offered to replenish our water bottles. I realised it would be a choice of holy water or bath water and declined.  

From here we walked up via Lyncombe Hill and the Monument playing field and up to Rainbow Woods (this was the best view of the city – see photo) then passed the University and back to Bathampton.  

Apart from the guy in the skirt who was trying to turn his canal boat around in the river (boat was significantly longer then the width of the river – we could see this, well der, why couldn’t he see it!) we met a strange bunch of people in the woods, one dressed as a Canadian Mountie and the rest of the group wearing what I can only describe as Bondage-wear. Very strange. We did not hang about to find out what they were up to.  

A really nice walk on a lovely sunny day with some very steep long hills but certainly worth it for the views.  

[  

This was a rather pretty houseboat, with a lovely garden on the bank. I could live here! (Especially if the sun is shining)  

This was a guy on a canal boat wearing a skirt. Yes, really. (Okay, yes it was childish to even notice).  

An interesting tree

About 3 miles from the end of the walk, looking back over Bath – the view from here was stunning and my photo doesn’t do it justice.  

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
Re: TR; Circumnavigation of Bath, 17 miles. Sunday 13/6/10
« Reply #1 on: 20:24:36, 13/06/10 »
Great pics there Alewife, but wheres the pics of the mountie and the bondage brigade?  If Pete reads this, he'll be most upset you didn't include that image of an English woodland on a Sunday afternoon......
 ;D ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:29:06, 13/06/10 »
A lovely selection alewife!  Love the canal boats O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:30:15, 13/06/10 »
This was a guy on a canal boat wearing a skirt. Yes, really. (Okay, yes it was childish to even notice).

well what'sarong with that???
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:40:07, 13/06/10 »
Great pics there Alewife, but wheres the pics of the mountie and the bondage brigade?  If Pete reads this, he'll be most upset you didn't include that image of an English woodland on a Sunday afternoon......
 ;D ;D

Actually one of the guys I was with tried to turn back and take a sneaky shot of them  - his camera was rather more sophisticated than mine, and because it was fairly dark in the woods the flash mechanism opened itself up (noisily - thus drawing their attention) then the flash fired (brightly, in case the noise hadn't got their attention fully). And a whailing voice came from one of the group "You've stolen my soul". I just legged it - it was all too weird. (If I can get a copy of the pic I WILL be posting it - it's okay mods, they weren't actually indecent)

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:43:23, 13/06/10 »

And a whailing voice came from one of the group "You've stolen my soul". I just legged it - it was all too weird.

Ahh...Somerset and Avon (And other parts of the West!!!) love them wierdos!! ;D ;D
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Gilly62

« Reply #6 on: 22:29:56, 13/06/10 »
Looks like you had a great day - can't wait for the additional pic!!! O0   
The only way is up!!

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:36:14, 13/06/10 »

well what'sarong with that???

Was thinking just the same ;D

Sounds a very interesting walk you had today alewife :D

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:29:11, 13/06/10 »
Nice pics Alewife. I enjoyed pottering along the Kennet and Avon canal when I was a student in Bath (a while ago now!) Thanks for the reminder.
Enjoy every sandwich

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy