Author Topic: TR Wild camp on Loughrigg Sat 15 to Sun 16 Sep 18  (Read 2595 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1

With a poor forecast especially for overnight Saturday with strong winds and heavy rain we had to choose a place to camp very carefully and it would be a low level pitch. We started from Rydal and ascended Loughrigg from the path that leaves the Pelter Bridge Car Park and ascends Cote Howe above Rough Intake. We'd never been on this path before. It was a bit wet underfoot but pleasant enough.

Nice views today, Low Pike and High Pike seen

The weather wasn't bad at all, very light winds and quite warm, we were soon down to a single layer.

Signs of autumn

On one of the rocky outcrops near Lanty Scar

We started looking for a suitable pitch straight away near Lanty Scar. Once we found a spot we would go over onto Loughrigg summit before coming back to pitch. There was high bracken everywhere so finding a pitch was made much more difficult. There were lots of trods here and there through the bracken and we wandered about for quite a while looking for a decent pitch.

The view opened up toward The Langdales

Rydal Water and Nab Scar

Red Screes

High Pike and Low Pike

Wansfell and Windermere

We thought we might have found a suitable outcrop but we spotted a tent already pitched there.

Spot the tent

We retraced our steps and we went on another little outcrop. It started raining and quite heavily. We pitched the flysheet of our tent to shelter under while we had our lunch. It rained for an hour on and off. It seemed to have stopped and brightened up so we set off toward Loughrigg summit. Where we had pitched for our lunch would make a good spot to pitch for the night. It would be sheltered from the strong wind forecasted overnight and it had great views and it was on grass, slightly sloping but flat.

Looking back at the outcrop as we descended

It started raining again and we decided to sack going on to Loughrigg. Cloud and mist had covered the tops so the views would be rubbish anyway. We went in search of water instead. Water found, we got back to our outcrop and got the MSR up. Early at 2.15 but there was nobody else about where we were, we were well off the main paths.

The MSR with mist over The Langdales and Helm Crag

We had a brew once our water was filtered and chilled out. The rain stopped and we even managed to sit outside for a while enjoying the views

A cairn on a nearby summit

See the plastic bottle? We took that away with us next day along with another bottle that had been placed on the cairn.

The MSR on Loughrigg

The Langdale Pikes

Helm Crag

The MSR with Low Pike and High Pike in view

We were well hidden, we doubted anyone would be able to spot the tent.

The Fairfield Horseshoe

Nab Scar

We had some food and opened the wine. We were back inside the tent as the wind had picked up and it got colder.

A plane flew across and I got a shot as it flew below Sergeant Man

Langdale Pikes again

There was no sunset, it was too cloudy. It had been a bit of a strange day, not walking that far but neither of us were in the mood for getting wet. I did have my new Rab waterproof on, very pleased with it so far, no complaints  O0

Day 1 was Rydal - Pelter Bridge - Cote How - wander about the Lanty Scar area before pitching. 6.43km with 286m of ascent.

Day 2

The rain was heavy overnight and didn't stop all night. The wind did get stronger and the gusts were very strong by 6am - 8am. We decided to wait to see if the rain would stop as forecast before 10am and it did. We pitched early and left late this weekend, we were away by 10.25am and off to Loughrigg summit

Looking back at the Fairfield Horseshoe and the outcrop we'd pitched on

On the way to Black Mire

The weather had improved and we got some blue sky

Sunshine on the Langdale Pikes

We saw the first people since we'd started at Rydal the day before. We had seen people in the far distance yesterday of course.

Lingmoor Fell and the Langdale Pikes

On the way to Loughrigg summit

The Langdale Pikes again from just below the summit of Loughrigg

Helm Crag and Steel Fell from below Loughrigg summit

Windermere from below Loughrigg summit

A quickly taken shot of Beefy on Loughrigg

It was busy on the summit and we politely waited below the top for a few minutes to let people take some photos. When they'd gone we got about 3 seconds on the summit before the next lot appeared  ;D

Grasmere and Helm Crag from the way down off Loughrigg

We descended the lesser populated path down by Intake Wood.

Lingmoor Fell, The Langdales and High Close seen from the descent

Looking back on our way to Loughrigg Terrace

We were  getting the bus from White Moss

Grasmere from Loughrigg Terrace

It was a lovely day but we were too tempted to catch the 1.30 bus direct to Carlisle from Keswick. The later buses would go via Penrith and involve at 45 minute wait at Penrith now the 104 timetable has changed.

Day 2  was Pitch near Lanty Scar - Black Mire - Loughrigg summit - Intake Wood - Loughrigg Terrace - White Moss, 7.24km 243m ascent. Like last week not the longest walks we've ever done but we made the best of a not so good weather weekend.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp on Loughrigg Sat 15 to Sun 16 Sep 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:46, 18/09/18 »
Great pics as usual Ape O0
The rain was so heavy, and those gusts didn't half rattle the tent, good job we were pretty well sheltered,
Looking forward to the next adventure
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:08:25, 18/09/18 »
Ah my old stomping ground (if you stretch a point), Rydal area.
Looks lovely  :)
Your TR's are much better than mine, must take u ages, I just dont have the patience!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:47:34, 19/09/18 »
Pictures make the weather look ok!!  Lovely pics, particularly like the ones on the way down looking over Grasmere.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:08:40, 19/09/18 »
Some lovely photos there, despite the weather.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:19:28, 19/09/18 »
Great photos April.

Pitch early and leave late  ;D

The other campers are well hidden but why would people put in the effort to see the beauty of the scenery and then leave litter  >:(

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:26:07, 19/09/18 »
Fab photos April    :)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:13:20, 19/09/18 »
Great report and photos April O0  Loughrigg Fell is one of my favourite little fells. I remember climbing it one Saturday evening last year at 7.30pm when the sun came out after a day of heavy rain. These photos bring back memories :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:24:36, 19/09/18 »
Looking forward to the next adventure

The weather looks ..er.. interesting  ;)

Your TR's are much better than mine, must take u ages, I just dont have the patience!

Thanks but when you get to my age you have to start writing things down or you forget very quickly  :D

Pictures make the weather look ok!! 

:) It was a mixture of allsorts last weekend, looks like more of the same for this weekend.

Thanks Richard  O0

Pitch early and leave late  ;D

I know, we got it the wrong way round but I think we can be forgiven, the weather was horrendous on Sunday morning  :)

The other campers are well hidden but why would people put in the effort to see the beauty of the scenery and then leave litter  >:(

We wondered who had left the plastic bottles there, it was well away from the main paths, an extra effort to get there like you say. The other campers were quite a distance away from that cairn so I don't think it would have been them.

Thanks Dovegirl and henry  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:17:39, 20/09/18 »
Lovely report & pics as always April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:42:09, 20/09/18 »
We wondered who had left the plastic bottles there, it was well away from the main paths, an extra effort to get there like you say. The other campers were quite a distance away from that cairn so I don't think it would have been them.
I didn't mean it to sound like I was accusing the other wild campers of leaving the bottles.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:36:34, 20/09/18 »
 :)

I didn't think you were. We still can't believe people would leave their rubbish up there. Worst was the plastic bottle carefully pushed into the cairn! The other bottle on the ground may have fallen out of a backpack with the owner unaware, the bottle in the cairn is deliberate!
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:27:52, 20/09/18 »
More pleasing pictures in pretty crappy conditions. The MSR would be quite well hidden from a distance in that bracken, I assume it was out of sight of the other tent - that was bad luck finding someone else pitching on Loughrigg.
Plastic bottles in cairns, ugh, another favourite is banana skins and orange peel.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:34:12, 20/09/18 »
I assume it was out of sight of the other tent - that was bad luck finding someone else pitching on Loughrigg.

Thanks vghikers, yes we were out of sight of the other tent and quite a distance away from it, high bracken is useful for something!

Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:27:22, 21/09/18 »
Really enjoyable trip report, April, and fantastic photos as always - you wouldn't think you'd had to put up with all that rain from the lovely pictures. The cloud certainly makes for some striking lighting on the fells. Great stuff!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy