Author Topic: John o' Groats Way  (Read 694 times)

AFANASIEW

John o' Groats Way
« on: 07:43:35, 02/03/18 »
Has anyone sampled this route, whether or not as part of LEJOG? It's described as a "work in progress', so I'm interested to know the extent to which it will slow progress from Inverness to JoG.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: John o' Groats Way
« Reply #1 on: 09:30:44, 02/03/18 »
I have read the description as I am due to finish Lejog in May having had to return home from Tain last year due to a family illness.  It doesn't look too bad in parts although others, wading across burns etc., when walking alone may not be what I am looking for!  I intend reviewing as I go along with the B&B owners before setting off.  If it is too bad the main road will not be too far away for an escape and make quicker progress although it will not my preferred option.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 10:52:46, 02/03/18 »
Thanks, Harland, I hope you'll post your verdict on here or elsewhere on the Web.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:12:36, 02/03/18 »
I have only cycled up to JoG and that was 39 years ago.  I recall it went up and down a little bit. :) O0  Coast paths can often offer that great balance of great views and feeling like you are away from it all.  While actually never being far from a safe haven.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #4 on: 10:47:15, 03/03/18 »
Update:

Since 2015 this welcome alternative to marching up the A9 has been taking shape thanks to donations, help from volunteers and the acquiescence of most of the landowners. It's not yet the finished article but, according to the blog on the JOGT website:

"We continue to make progress.  Most of the stiles are in place, many of the bridges, and about half the markers.  I hope that by the Spring 2018 walking season we will have most of the markers placed along roads in the southern part of the trail."

With luck, it'll be nearer completion by summer 2019, when I plan to be nearing the end of LEJOG. In the meantime, any reports from those who've actually walked it would be most welcome.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy