Author Topic: Foel Goch routes  (Read 3269 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Foel Goch routes
« on: 15:24:25, 14/10/19 »
Hi All. New member here.

I’ve done many of the regular routes on the Glyderau, but quite fancy going up Y Garn, along to Foel Goch, then back down the Ogwen side, without retracing my way. It looks doable a number of ways, but doesn’t have any marked paths on OS etc.

Looks easiest following the stream down the grassy slope SE (boggy?), or the ridge in a more E direction.

Anyone familiar with this part, or suggestions for alternatives.

Ta.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Foel Goch routes
« Reply #1 on: 17:19:59, 14/10/19 »
Welcome aboard  :)

We've been only as far as the uppermost stretch SE from Foel-goch, the nose of the ridge marked Y Llymllwyd on the map. The lower reaches of Cwm Cywion look potentially rough and boggy but not bad in terms of contours.
The descent directly east from the nose does not seem a good idea to me, unless you know in advance that it's doable, the map suggests it could harbour serious crags.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:25:45, 14/10/19 »
It's been some years sinse I was up that way but I don't remember any way down that side. Looking at the map it is very steep and if I recall correctly it's also quite Craigy. Further north might be possible dropping down into Cum Perfedd looks possible but I haven't been down that way so can't really say. I'm just looking at the map.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:36, 14/10/19 »
It is possible to descend NW from Foel-goch to pick up a path below that bypasses the summit. The path is shown on the map.
The path then turns W towards the southern end of Marchlyn Mawr Reservoir. I'm sure there was a path passing the east side of the reservoir even though nothing is marked on the map.
Then follow the reservoir access track northwards to a junction where you turn right onto a track that zigzags down through Penrhyn Slate Quarries to reach the A5 road near Ogwen Bank.
That's the way I went some years ago - but I was on a multiple-day walk.
Ideally you would need two cars, or it's a very long walk back to where you started.

EDIT: I've just recalled seeing a YouTube video of someone's ascent of Elidir Fawr, I think it was this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIGleN85tY, in which it looks like there has been a lot of construction word at Marchlyn Mawr Reservoir since I was there, so there might be some changes to the tracks.
« Last Edit: 18:04:58, 14/10/19 by fernman »

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:12:21, 14/10/19 »
Thanks for the replies.

I think it’s definitely doable, as a chap I met on the way up Y Garn said he was veering off that route and heading Foel Goch via the Mushroom Garden. I didn’t get specific details off him at the time, unfortunately.

I agree it’s quite craggy around there though, so I might have to wait for a clear day!

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:42:58, 29/11/19 »
In case anyone’s interested, I tried this route recently.

I went up Y Garn, then followed the ridge to Foel Goch using the usual path. From the end of that path, you can follow the edge of the cliffs back southeastwards (and Foel Goch is surprisingly impressive when viewed from there).

There are then actually two ways down. One is to carry on southeastwards directly down the grassy slope to the small tarn Llyn Cywion - this is quite a gentle slope, or (as I did) you can follow the ridge eastward around, which gives you great views of Y Garn and Ogwen. There is quite a clear path that follows the ridge around the upper part of the Mushroom Garden, then down into the cwm, which then meets up with the other path.

I think there a path to Idwal from here (but lost it), but it’s easy enough to fine your way down the grassy slopes to the old valley road.

Great route. The only downside is that it’s pretty boggy for most of the lower part.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy