Author Topic: Best budget tent for wild camping  (Read 6807 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Best budget tent for wild camping
« Reply #15 on: 15:49:22, 28/02/20 »
Still think they could have made it with a solid inner, having a highly wind proof tent means little if it just cuts all the warmth away from the person in the mesh inner.  But perhaps this is a particularly UK problem.

As far as I am aware, the inner is mostly 'solid'. The door is two layer - a solid door and a mesh door, the ultimate in versatility, and well worth the marginal weight increase in my opinion. EDIT - the Nordisk video confirms that the inner is mostly solid.

I would certainly trust the Svalbard in all but the most extreme winter conditions (conditions in which I wouldn't be camping anyway). I may well go for the SI version come autumn.
« Last Edit: 15:53:30, 28/02/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:21:16, 28/02/20 »

As far as I am aware, the inner is mostly 'solid'. The door is two layer - a solid door and a mesh door, the ultimate in versatility, and well worth the marginal weight increase in my opinion. EDIT - the Nordisk video confirms that the inner is mostly solid.

I would certainly trust the Svalbard in all but the most extreme winter conditions (conditions in which I wouldn't be camping anyway). I may well go for the SI version come autumn.

It's mostly solid?

Very versatile indeed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:34:10, 28/02/20 »

It's mostly solid?

Very versatile indeed.

I was referring to the double layer door. As I have three tents with a similar double layer mesh/solid door, I can confirm that this arrangement IS very versatile.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:43:41, 28/02/20 »

I was referring to the double layer door. As I have three tents with a similar double layer mesh/solid door, I can confirm that this arrangement IS very versatile.

Yeah I was thinking that when I replied, perhaps should have explained more clearly.  I was thinking that it seems they rigged it like an Enan to 'vent through' without the foot zip - whilst keeping a robust inner to allow you to expand what season you want to go out in.  For UK use it's very competitive certainly.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:48:59, 28/02/20 »
As I said, I'm sorely tempted.  :)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:29:08, 28/02/20 »
Decided to buy one myself, order just gone through, you tempted me too much Richard! Solid inner made the difference!

Seems Nordisk are advertising tear strength of 15.1kg for their 40D flysheet fabric, which is sil/sil (both sides) and comparable to Kerlon (Hilleberg's fabric) in that respect (also 40D triple applied sil/sil)

Kerlon 1800 is used in Black label mountaineering tents and has a TS of 18kg, Kerlon 1200 is used in Red label tents and has a TS of 12kg which would put the 'storm worthiness' somewhere between the two.  It also uses 9mm alu poles, like the Hille Red range.

So essentially it's a mountaineering class tent with a convertible solid inner which probably doesn't handle snow especially well, for a quarter of the price of a Hilleberg Soulo.  Most cheap and cheerful summer tents have 2-4kg TS, for comparison. 

Considering the cheapest Black label Hille is about £1100 it's certainly worth a punt.  I'll probably pick up a selection of pegs to match the season to go with it depending what arrives.   Expecting the weak points to likely be the groundsheet (might want to bring a small tyvek sheet to protect it, even polycro is better than nothing).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:33:35, 28/02/20 »
I will be most interested to hear how you get on with it. Where did you buy from, by the way?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:47:03, 28/02/20 »
Wiggle, with a £10 discount for being a 'new customer' which put it at £189 delivered.

brendan

« Reply #23 on: 18:08:04, 28/02/20 »
Couldn't resist it either - bought it for £189 from Wiggle  - bargain!
So, thanks you all - got there at last!
Brendan

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:21:09, 28/02/20 »
For anybody else considering buying entering voucher code NEWUS at checkout gets you £15.04 discount off taking the price down to £183.96 with free delivery.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nordisk-svalbard-1-si-tent/

Every little helps!!!  ;D ;D ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:30:01, 28/02/20 »
Thanks, forgot - I had spotted the SI on wiggle for 199, but was unaware of the £10 new customer discount.  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:10:50, 28/02/20 »
I own a Zepyros One and a Marmot Pulsar One and the experience of the two has shaped my thinking into what I personally want from a tent. My Marmot floor area is 90cm at the head end, a bit less at the other end and I can sit upright in it and am able to move back and forth about 12" without touching the tent material. On a couple of occasions, when its been raining hard outside I have been able to dress and pack all of my gear into my rucksack whilst staying inside the tent. I can also when it's raining, erect the outer tent and then in the dry fit my inner tent. A bit of a wiggle I must admit but a very useful feature on such days.

Both of my tents are side-entry setups which I like, the Zepyros tent for me is better in the colder months but the downside is I then have to live in a smaller area. The only thing I dislike about my Marmot is the colour, bright orange, they offered no other.

I haven't found a tent yet which I think is better than my Marmot but I live in hope. Naturehike offers a 'copy' and they are cheap as well but I just can't make up my mind if I want to go via those companies products? It's not a decision I have to make urgently as I'm going through an 'I like bivi camping' at the moment.

brendan

« Reply #27 on: 20:22:21, 03/03/20 »
My Svalbard 1 arrived today - very pleased with it. A little confused though by the approx. 6" long aluminium tube which appears to have no function - it is not mentioned in the set up process - elucidation please!
Also in the setup booklet it says " optimize weight by leaving pegs, inner cabin etc at home if not needed on trip? whats the inner cabin? If it's the inner tent how does the flysheet stand up. Excuse me if it's blindingly obvious to the initiated.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:35:04, 03/03/20 »
My Svalbard 1 arrived today - very pleased with it. A little confused though by the approx. 6" long aluminium tube which appears to have no function - it is not mentioned in the set up process - elucidation please!
Also in the setup booklet it says " optimize weight by leaving pegs, inner cabin etc at home if not needed on trip? whats the inner cabin? If it's the inner tent how does the flysheet stand up. Excuse me if it's blindingly obvious to the initiated.
Have you tried YouTube? e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BjSWDQOob8
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:49:17, 03/03/20 »
A little confused though by the approx. 6" long aluminium tube which appears to have no function - it is not mentioned in the set up process - elucidation please!

It may be a pole sleeve for a temporary repair of a broken pole?  :-\

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy