Author Topic: The Antonine Wall Walk  (Read 6427 times)

Yomper

• Account Closed
The Antonine Wall Walk
« on: 06:16:51, 06/08/09 »
I noticed a thread on Hadrian's Wall and stories of folk that have walked the length of it

The Antonine Wall is further north, has anyone walked that route ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall

I quite like mooching about Roman ruins, I have visited the Roman forts at Ribchester and Segontium ( Caernarfon )

the coot

Re: The Antonine Wall Walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:09:48, 06/08/09 »
Hasn't this been talked about before. There is a motorway in the way now, though you could walk much of it and combine your walk with the Forth and Clyde canal and Union canals which runs nearby for some of the walk. I've been to some of it, Rough Castle and the parts around Falkirk and Bo'ness. I've also been to the Roman fort at Ardoch at Braco (Perthshire) and we are going to go up and have a look at some of the fortlets along the Gask ridge this winter.
These are the details for Ardoch
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/25251/details/ardoch/

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:32:02, 06/08/09 »
I've done Hadrians wall, in the 80's before it became fashionable ;D and quite like Roman Roads, I did the Fosse Way from Corinium to Aquae Sulis a couple of times.  The Antonine has intrigued for years, much of it extant?
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 06:35:33, 07/08/09 »
Bill

Have you seen the Roman Road near Blackstone Edge ?

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:52:18, 07/08/09 »
Never seen that, I live in the South, having said that there is a very nice bit of extant road on the Lyke Wake at Wheeldale which I have visited a couple of times.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 18:03:56, 07/08/09 »
Bill

I have a good collection of roman coins, my best past relic being a greek arrowhead dug from near the hot gates

I had it authenticated via a London Auction house ( cost me £60 ) and its the real deal  :o

ronnie

« Reply #6 on: 20:22:37, 07/08/09 »
There was also a roman garrison at Cramond on the banks of the forth ,on a huge stone by the river roman soldiers chiseled  into the stone i sure it was an eagle.
Try this for antonine wall www.scran.ac.uk/packs/exhibitions/learning_materials/webs/56/Antonine.htm

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:19:31, 13/08/09 »

It's much less well preserved, partly because it was mainly built of turf, and partly because it's in the Central Belt...

There is a map of the wall available, but no marked walking route as such.

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: 05:59:24, 14/08/09 »
Shame really,  but I suppose there must be some parts of the wall that must be worth a visit

the coot

« Reply #9 on: 14:59:56, 14/08/09 »
Yes there are, the Antonine wall now has World Heritage status, http://www.antonine-way.co.uk/
so there are parts worth visiting. As I said before, much of it runs near the Forth and Clyde and Union canals, you can use them to access much of the Antonine wall and walk the canals as well, which are also a worthwhile walk.

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 15:01:18, 14/08/09 »
It will go on my walks to do list  ;)

Thanks for the link

Lowlander

« Reply #11 on: 15:19:33, 02/07/18 »
I noticed a thread on Hadrian's Wall and stories of folk that have walked the length of it

I quite like mooching about Roman ruins, I have visited the Roman forts at Ribchester and Segontium ( Caernarfon )

I have and I have mapped a complete route too.
I did this because there was no connected signage.
But now you can simply follow a map on you smartphone.
Have a search for: The Antonine Wall - Jerome Blanes Route
It's a very green route and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Of course we had great weather this summer.

Lowlander

« Reply #12 on: 15:20:34, 02/07/18 »
I have and I have mapped a complete route too. I did this because there was no connected signage. But now you can simply follow a map on you smartphone. Have a search for: The Antonine Wall - Jerome Blanes RouteIt's a very green route and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course we had great weather this summer.

Lowlander

« Reply #13 on: 21:54:31, 02/07/18 »
I have walked the Antonine Wall entirely and have mapped the complete route too.I did this because there was no connected signage. But now you can simply follow a map on you smartphone.Have a search for: The Antonine Wall - Jerome Blanes Route. It's a very green route and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course we had great weather this summer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy