Author Topic: Magnetic compass on Viewranger behaving strangely  (Read 10703 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Magnetic compass on Viewranger behaving strangely
« Reply #45 on: 19:32:08, 15/04/19 »
I have found that one of the advantages of gps assisted navigation is knowing where you are when snowfall has radically affected the landscape. The screen still shows the underlying terrain.  An example, I was once walking down hill looking for a track cut into the side of the hill. Snow fall had filled in the track so the downslope was continuous and there was no sign of the track but I was able to locate the line of the track to make my turn which lead me to the right route off the mountain.
Being able to see an enlarged picture of the map can be helpful in finding the right way through in some situations  - provided the map is right of course.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 19:34:31, 15/04/19 »
I would just practice with the map and compass when you are out using Viewranger, Rob; you'll soon pick it up.

Got any recommended reading? Mel said she found it difficult to pick up from books who over-complicated it and much easier to learn in person but if I can save £90 I'm willing to attempt more difficult first.

First hit on Google is the Ultimate Navigation Manual by Lyle Brotherton. The synopsis looks promising. Anyone familiar with it?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 19:46:50, 15/04/19 »
I'll let you guys know how it is, I've ordered it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 21:03:23, 15/04/19 »
Good link, thanks. Wonder what extra information the book I ordered has.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 22:27:33, 15/04/19 »
Probably nothing.  Cancel your order.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 22:32:20, 15/04/19 »
Probably nothing.  Cancel your order.

I probably should but it says it has twenty something skills in and novel relocation techniques. Stuff I don't need to know? Maybe but I'm still curious.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 22:38:44, 15/04/19 »
Fair enough.  I'm not a fan of Lyle Brotherton after his guff information about dialling 112 giving you preferential treatment over dialling 999.

(there was a topic on this forum about it some time ago).

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 22:46:41, 15/04/19 »
Fair enough.  I'm not a fan of Lyle Brotherton after his guff information about dialling 112 giving you preferential treatment over dialling 999.

(there was a topic on this forum about it some time ago).

Oh dear I didn't know he was a hokum peddler. Maybe his novel techniques are novel tech-nots. I'm still going to get the book but I'll be skeptical about it now.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 00:10:28, 16/04/19 »
Oh dear I didn't know he was a hokum peddler. Maybe his novel techniques are novel tech-nots. I'm still going to get the book but I'll be skeptical about it now.
  A least you will have one novel to relocate - hope there is room on your shelf  :)   Make sure the book includes the pack of cards trick for locating yourself when lost.
« Last Edit: 01:07:08, 16/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 07:20:32, 16/04/19 »
Rob, this link provides some basics along with a few videos.

https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/essential-skills/navigation/planning-and-following-a-route

Good link - sound advice presented in a simple form.

Just practice, Rob; the more that you do, the more comfortable with a map you will become - and you've always got Viewranger as your backup.

EDIT - the book looks rather complex for a beginner, but appears to be well reviewed.
« Last Edit: 07:34:20, 16/04/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 09:09:05, 16/04/19 »
I was given the book a couple of Christmases ago. The basics are in it but what it sets out to be is the most complete and comprehensive manual possible on the subject, consequently 90% of the contents are stuff I would never use. It's now gathering dust on a bookshelf, can't give it to a charity shop just yet in case the giver notices it's not there.

I must add that I've only just read this thread, I didn't bother when it first appeared because the header "wasn't me". But the four pages have turned out to be one of the most interesting, and sensible too, reads I've seen on the forum for some time.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 11:04:32, 16/04/19 »
I was given the book a couple of Christmases ago. The basics are in it but what it sets out to be is the most complete and comprehensive manual possible on the subject, consequently 90% of the contents are stuff I would never use. It's now gathering dust on a bookshelf, can't give it to a charity shop just yet in case the giver notices it's not there.

I just attempted to cancel my order on Amazon after reading this but I now wonder if I should have, does it contain anything useful Bigfoot_Mike's mountaineering Scotland link doesn't?

My attempt to cancel failed so unless I reject it for better or worse the book's arriving.
« Last Edit: 12:23:50, 16/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 13:32:39, 16/04/19 »
You can refuse to accept it when the postie delivers it, and then it will be returned to sender.
Meanwhile, you grovel to the seller and ask for a refund.

It worked for me three weeks ago when I ordered a wrong item by mistake. There were just five minutes between me asking to cancel and the 'your item has been dispatched' email. Then I sent a message on Amazon to the seller and it was he who advised me to refuse it.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy