Author Topic: 36 mile walk  (Read 4624 times)

Nipper

36 mile walk
« on: 22:02:21, 06/08/18 »
Hi everyone, first post and looking for advice. Am doing a 36 mile walk for charity in about 3 weeks time. I do walk a lot...back and to to work 30 mins each way and exercise bike/light weight train at home 4 times a week and play football football for an hour 1 evening a week as well. Have recently have done 16 mile and 23 mile walks without any issues apart from usual few small blisters etc, top of boots cutting into tops of toes despite being walked in a fair bit ??? . I have about 15 hours to do the walk and was just wondering if anyone can give advice as to when the best time to plan stops?. Walking shoes or boots . How much water to carry?. I do have options to stop along the way to pick up supplies at some points but mostly after the 18 - 20 mile point. Thanks for any help in advance and happy walking!.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: 36 mile walk
« Reply #1 on: 22:58:26, 06/08/18 »
 A lot depends on the weather.If its this hot you are going to need a lot of fluid,say 3-4 liters minimum.Best to wear whatever footwear you are comfortable in but my choice for ultra distance has always been running shoes.Less weight to lift with every step but you do end up with wet feet even if its light rain or morning dew.
 Personally I wouldn't bother stopping on a walk of this distance as breaks tend to ruin your concentration and pace.Just head down and go for it eating and drinking on the move.Fifteen hours sounds like a longtime but even with a generous time limit you might have to jog sections to keep on schedule.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:21:07, 07/08/18 »
Welcome to the forum, Nipper, and good luck with your walk.

As to what to wear; depends upon the terrain. If you are on well made paths, then walking shoes will be fine. whereas if you are on the hills, boots are probably better. But as above - comfort! And make your mind up soon, so that you can wear them on some practice walks.

As to water - depends upon the weather - and the terrain (if there is a lot of uphill work, then you will sweat a lot more). For a 20 mile walk in the hot sun with no chance of re-supply, I would probably take 3 litres.

As for stops - I would tend to push on, only stopping for a drink, snack, map reading etc, or if I felt that I really needed to 'take five'. 36 miles is a long way, and best to push on.

Where is your walk taking place?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Nipper

« Reply #3 on: 08:41:35, 07/08/18 »

Where is your walk taking place?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. The walk is taking place mainly along the montgomery canal from Lower Frankton (near oswestry) to Newtown in Wales. It is flat and mostly looks like well maintained towpaths although some sections of the canal I believe are now filled in/dry so am unsure of the path conditions along those sections.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:07:16, 07/08/18 »
By a strange coincidence, I did a 36 mile walk along the canals around Birmingham many many years ago - took me 15 hours!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Doddy

« Reply #5 on: 10:26:29, 07/08/18 »

My long effort was 55 miles in 13 or so hours, I was in marathon training at the time and ran the first 33 mile miles I would have probably run more but needed to be with someone who knew the route.
I was not as fatigued as in a Marathon; the big difference was the check points had soup, all sorts of drinks, easily eaten snacks; so my advice is resupply on the way and keep hydrated. I have also done long Triathlon, equivalent to Half Ironman, again able to keep hydrated well and eat protein bars on the 42 mile bike.
 It is wise to have training walk with your food and water regime to test how your stomach copes. On a walk, not a race, it is it is possible to eat and drink well.

MichaelUK

« Reply #6 on: 19:24:41, 07/08/18 »
Seven of us recently completed a 45 mile walk in 16 hours in aid of the Alzheimers Society, in Northumberland\Cumbria. It was the day Croatia beat Russia in the world cup, so a very hot day. As others have pointed out the weather and terrain are the issues, as well as been on your feet for 16 hours! Weather wise, if its hot, plenty of water, I added Tescos brand of Dioralyte rehydration powder. Our walk was supported up till 2pm, so water wasnt a major issue up to that point. We did find at the bottom of someones garden a shed with an honesty box. Inside were two fridges with bottled water and cans of cola, along with tea, coffee, milk and biscuits; 8pm
Terrain, our walk was across moor land, fields, woods and rough track. I wore Altberg Tetheras. I find these warm so I took 2 changes of socks and felt the benefit. As I was wearing shorts I wore a pair of Alpkit short trail shoe gaiters to keep all the crud out of my boots. I changed the cord to bungee cord, better length.
Good luck with the walk. We raised £1300

Nipper

« Reply #7 on: 11:09:51, 08/08/18 »
Thanks for the replies so far everyone a great help and well done for completing the walks you've mentioned in the replies!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:38:51, 08/08/18 »
It all depends on the terrain you will be covering, if its mainly hard tarmac and the occasional off road section, then well cushioned trainers would be my personal choice.
If its a 36mile mountain walk, then well broken in boots, that you know to be comfortable, and will not give you blisters or discomfort.
Many years ago, i completed one of the toughest challenge walks in South Wales, the now discontinued South Wales Marathon walk, one end of the Brecon Beacons National Park to the other, a distance of around 53miles, over some very challenging terrain.
I could complete the distance in around 14hrs, so depending on the terrain, 15hrs is a very achievable target time for 36miles , as long as you stay fully hydrated.

You can never carry enough water for walks of this length, and remaining hydrated is half the battle of success on challenge walks.

When you get slightly dehydrated, you eventually develop muscle cramps and soreness, and any early sighs of leg discomfort, can lead to extreme fatigue earlier than is necessary, especially when you have trained for your particular event.

36miles is a good distance to challenge ones fitness levels, and correct footwear and staying fully hydrated for as long as possibly are two of the most important criteria for success.

If you can walk 36miles, then there is no reason why you cannot walk 50miles, its mostly mind over matter, as long as your body is in fit shape, both mentally and physically.

Staying hydrated at all times, and eating small amounts at regular intervals, is what you should try and do, especially if you have never walked 36miles before, its still a long way for a first time attempt, and if the weather is warm and humid, then it will be a stern challenge.

Ive passed the 70mile barrier three times in the past, and it was only severe muscle soreness than finished me off, and i recon severe dehydration came into play as well.

When your shattered and trying desperately to stay on course and on time for the annual LDWA hundred, its inevitable you will forget to drink enough fluid, and eat regularly.

The Camelbak hydration packs were not around in the early 1980s, when i was at the peak of my challenge walking career, they would have come in very handy.

If the walk is on hard unforgiving tarmac for most of the way, then go for trainers, if its mostly off road, tried and tested boots, but drink small amounts regularly, and eat small amounts as well.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: 21:59:37, 08/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

astaman

« Reply #9 on: 06:44:38, 09/08/18 »
I'm no expert at all but, if you haven't already done so, it might  be worth looking at the website of the Long Distance Walkers Association. They regularly walk and organise ultra-distance walking events and might have useful guidance.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:46:18, 09/08/18 »
The walk is taking place mainly along the montgomery canal from Lower Frankton (near oswestry) to Newtown in Wales. It is flat and mostly looks like well maintained towpaths although some sections of the canal I believe are now filled in/dry so am unsure of the path conditions along those sections.

@DA Try reading the thread ;)
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:38:27, 09/08/18 »
 Just to add to what DA has written.Expect to experience despair,dehydration and possibly death.The three D's,we all know about them.It might be an idea to pack a revolver incase it simply becomes too much so you can end it before nature takes its course. ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:14:55, 09/08/18 »
 :) O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:17:09, 09/08/18 »
Ive read it, thank you.
He does not say where he lives, it could be amongst the wilds of Snowdonia or central London.
If its in a city, then trainers will be the best, next to the mountains, like myself, then probably boots.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:30:47, 09/08/18 »
Ive read it, thank you.
He does not say where he lives, it could be amongst the wilds of Snowdonia or central London.

You need to read the WHOLE thread DA, see below

The walk is taking place mainly along the montgomery canal from Lower Frankton (near oswestry) to Newtown in Wales. It is flat and mostly looks like well maintained towpaths although some sections of the canal I believe are now filled in/dry so am unsure of the path conditions along those sections.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy