Author Topic: 36 mile walk  (Read 4623 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: 36 mile walk
« Reply #15 on: 13:39:16, 09/08/18 »
Ive read it, thank you.
He does not say where he lives, it could be amongst the wilds of Snowdonia or central London.
If its in a city, then trainers will be the best, next to the mountains, like myself, then probably boots.

DA.  Read again post #4 which answered the question posed in the last line of post #3 and was acknowledged in post #5 not to mention the requote by sussamb in post # 11.

Just to add to what DA has written.Expect to experience despair,dehydration and possibly death.The three D's,we all know about them.It might be an idea to pack a revolver incase it simply becomes too much so you can end it before nature takes its course. ;)
Tonyk - I find the Walther PPK is the most reliable for this application as the Browning 9mm is a bit on the heavy side and the Beretta tends to jam.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:44:18, 09/08/18 »
Tonyk - I find the Walther PPK is the most reliable for this application as the Browning 9mm is a bit on the heavy side and the Beretta tends to jam.

I doubt we can take your recommendation seriously. You haven't been very successful  ;)
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:46:22, 09/08/18 »
I doubt we can take your recommendation seriously. You haven't been very successful  ;)

I use it to put smart alec walking companions out of my misery.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:50:05, 09/08/18 »
I use it to put smart alec walking companions out of my misery.

:o

Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:14:59, 09/08/18 »
I find the Walther PPK is the most reliable for this application as the Browning 9mm is a bit on the heavy side and the Beretta tends to jam.

The Browning is heavy but reliable with good stopping power  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:25:26, 09/08/18 »
To be honest I am only ever really dangerous with the Browning after I run out of ammo. I probably stand a better chance of hitting someone if I throw it at them and it is heavy enough to hurt.
However, in the spirit of the forum I feel I must disagree with you as the the Walther is almost as good and is lighter so it will please the ultralight backpackers. It has nearly as much stopping power as the Browning so, provided your target is not wearing a wet mac, it should be good enough.
Now as to holsters, I favour the leather shoulder holster over the belt holster as it is out of the way until you need it but you do have to undo the chest strap of your pack and unzip your jacket to get at it but on the other hand the canvass belt holster is also a fumble to undo and snags easily, not to mention coping with the lanyard. I wonder if Osprey or Lowe Alpine make something suitable?
Perhaps DA can advise?

By the way Nipper, this is a thread hijack but don’t try and stop me. I’m armed and dangerous.
« Last Edit: 23:29:45, 09/08/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 00:12:27, 10/08/18 »

DA.  Read again post #4 which answered the question posed in the last line of post #3 and was acknowledged in post #5 not to mention the requote by sussamb in post # 11.

The Glock 17,  is the weapon of choice these days.  Those Austrians, are fine gun Smith's.
« Last Edit: 00:19:04, 10/08/18 by BuzyG »

Nipper

« Reply #22 on: 14:30:16, 10/08/18 »
By the way Nipper, this is a thread hijack but don’t try and stop me. I’m armed and dangerous.
[/quote]

:) don't worry about the thread hijack it's been quite amusing. Now I've been informed about the "three D' s" I will make sure I'm prepared.......... to fail and then go to the charity I'm walking for...... "oh by the way that money I was trying to raise....."

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:16:33, 10/08/18 »
Just to return briefly to the theme Nipper. You can use GoogleEarth to do a crude route inspection and get a feel for it. Wherever the towpath goes under or crosses a road, you  can use Street View in GE to get a better look.
Solvitur Ambulando

Nipper

« Reply #24 on: 16:28:10, 10/08/18 »
Thank you. I have had a look at Google maps and a few others. I've walked maybe 8-9 miles of the canal just for leisure when staying nearby in the past so have a rough idea of what most should be like but I am going to street view a few more spots as well. A lot of the canal mainly follows the route of the A483 which I've passed when a passenger in a car but not seen the state of towpaths although a website I've found seems to show they are in good condition which helps as now I will probably use my cushioned trainers to walk it

Nipper

« Reply #25 on: 16:07:15, 12/08/18 »
Does anyone use anti chaffing/compression shorts on their long walks and if so which ones and where from.... Without costing a fortune?. Thanks in advance.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:19:25, 12/08/18 »
You will certainly find compression clothing to be of a big advantage in the hills, be it shorts or leggings.
Many of us here would feel self conscious or lacking the confidence to wear them in the hills, but you can wear them under your clothing, and they still retain their compression.
Take my word for it, they do elevate muscle tiredness over long periods, and actually support the calf muscles and leg muscles in general.

Skins, Under Armour and even Nike make their own versions.

Sports direct have them at very sensible prices of around £25 for the full leggings, or £12 for the shorts, so they do not have to be expensive.

Skins are probably the best quality ones on the market, and can be bought for well below retail price if you look carefully.

Sports Direct have been selling them for some time, and seem to sell them considerably under retail price.

Its an item of clothing that once you get used to, you will find it helps retaining heat in the lower half of the body, which in colder weather is a big bonus, and they  almost combat muscle tiredness over long periods.

I certainly notice a difference if i had walked a significant distance without wearing them, but its a bit of kit no doubt many of us could get along fine without

The thing i like about the full length leggins, is that even when totally saturated in water, they retain their warmth and compression properties.

Its an item of clothing that does actually work, so the claims are not without substance, but it really depends on your body shape.

If your legs are not of the athletic type or build, then you may struggle to get into the leggings, but the shorts would be the best solution if your carrying unnecessary weight.

Give them a go, and you may become a convert.
« Last Edit: 18:37:33, 12/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Nipper

« Reply #27 on: 21:33:16, 12/08/18 »
Many thanks for that reply. Will look at getting some before I do the walk. Thanks for all the info DA.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #28 on: 21:37:11, 16/08/18 »
And talcum powder... lots of it.. EVERYWHER.. in there, around there between them, everywhere !! Some on the feet is good but not too much if you're wearing footwear with a water proof liner as the talc can ruin it.. And deffo get some of those shorts, I got some plain old lycra running / gym shorts, dead cheap and do the same job thy just don't last as long, don't be tempted with cycling shorts as they have an annoying crutch pad.. A neck tube is a must to, it can be used as a hat and as a neck tube they are great for keeping the shoulders from cramping up by stopping the cold / rain out.. 
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Nipper

« Reply #29 on: 21:44:43, 19/08/18 »
Thank you. Will add talc to the list along with all other things before the 31st!.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy