Author Topic: Footwear recommendations for road walking  (Read 2057 times)

portlanders

Footwear recommendations for road walking
« on: 20:10:39, 15/11/17 »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend some footwear ideas for me around the £50 mark.

I have taken up road walking, i walk for just over an hour in the morning, again in the afternoon which covers aprox 4.2 miles in each session. So a brisk pace i feel.

I have the clothing sorted, compression layers, etc but am having trouble finding some durable footwear.

I started walking about 5 months ago when i was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes and weighed 19 stone. The diabetes is now undercontrol and now weigh 15 stone 8lb.

I began wearing some Reebok running shows and they didn't suit, but put with them as didn't know i was going to enjoy walking so much... yes i see it as a pleasure thing to do rather than the chore it started out being... i am a converted walker.

My latest pair have been New Feel's Propulse Walk 240's(decathlon own brand i believe) I did try a more expensive pair from the New Feel range, but it was a too narrow fitting for me. These are better, but after a few weeks i'm putting in insoles and the grip isn't that good. Over half of my walk is on a disused road which is quite greasy with moss growing in the surface, and i feel quite uneasy in pushing the pace because of this.

So if anyone could point out a few recommendations it would be most appreciated, i'm a size 10 so no special sizing, and would like a trainer with grip for the greasy road. Around £50 is the budget, i would try them on locally and try to find the best deal where i can, more importantly i would like a trainer that does the job and will last me through the winter, albeit i am a fair weather walker, cold doesn't bother me but heavy rain is no fun.

thanks for reading and any advice given

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Footwear recommendations for road walking
« Reply #1 on: 22:58:42, 15/11/17 »
Any pair of Asics road running trainers will do.  That's what I wear for my urban walks.  Comfortable.  Cushioned (for heel shock absorption at that brisk pace).  Mesh uppers which dry out quickly - combined with wicking sports socks are comfortable enough (you said you don't mind cold).

New Feel are fashion trainers and not actually designed for sport as such.

Mossy/greasy surfaces will be slippery no matter what footwear you have on.  It's just a case of adjusting your walking style to accommodate it (think of it as exercising a slightly different set of muscles).

Well done on that weight loss by the way  O0

portlanders

« Reply #2 on: 05:33:36, 16/11/17 »
Thank you Mel,

Guess i got sucked in with the marketing on the New Feels, though they were less than £25 so worth a punt.

Will look out for the Asics, I've just found an email from Amazon giving me £10 off a £50 spend so can stretch the budget a bit if i can get a deal from there, obviously trying them on locally first.

I have seen a pair of Solomon Xa Pro 3d's which i think are a good deal, but even on the Solomon site they state for occasional use, and don't think they are really a running shoe anyhow which is a shame as they come under budget.

I got some running socks from the Start Fitness website, More Mile ESAA Running Socks which are 8 pairs for £10, had a 20% off voucher too which paid for the postage...... oh if you haven't guessed i'm a bit of a bargain nut  ;D

Trev

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:21:42, 16/11/17 »
I disagree that New Feel's are fashion trainers. They're designed as walking trainers and are not even slightly fashionable (sorry!).

If it's grip you're lacking then going for another pair of trainers might not help at all. I mean it might but it's hard to say as different sole compounds are more or less grippy on various surfaces. You'll need to go and look for shoes with a better grip. It's possible something with a deeper tread would cut into and deal with mossy roads better than flatter ones.

Comfort-wise, it's trial an error really. I personally find Skechers to be the best but it's entirely personal.

Also now winter is here, you may want to think about waterproofness if you're going to be out in the rain with puddles etc. I love my light mesh trainers but they're awful in bad weather.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:59:50, 16/11/17 »
The best footwear for a very hard and unforgiving road surface, are trainers that provide maximum cushioning.
Many years ago when i was an avid Challenge walker, very few competitors wore their heavy boots whilst traversing the relentless road sections, they preferred comfortable trainers.
When walking on the road, you require maximum comfort and maximum cushioning, and the best footwear for most situations are tried and trusted trainers.
Thankfully most of us already have a pair, so there is no need for any extra expense.

maximurph

« Reply #5 on: 18:31:02, 16/11/17 »
Have a look at new balance trainers,  good comfort and value for money.

wobblyknees

« Reply #6 on: 23:54:29, 16/11/17 »
+1 for Asics.
I used to do a lot of road (hard tarmacadam surfaces) walking. I think the Asics shoe I used and still have is Asics Gel sole something or other. They're very light and comfortable.

I remember at the time Asics made a bit of a deal of insisting that they were walking rather than running shoes. Apparently a walking foot impacts the ground differently to a running foot. Or maybe it was just clever marketing by Asics. Still a great shoe though.

portlanders

« Reply #7 on: 06:21:19, 17/11/17 »
Thanks for all the recommendations, when i'm next in town i'll take a look at the offerings in store and try out some Asics, and New Balance.
I read an an online article this morning and there seems to be something called a training shoe, it's one that has more cushioning and used by marathon runner, the idea is they use the training shoe for well training... the extra cushioning helps serve the foot better and gives longevity to the shoe, then they have a race shoe for well, when they race for speed.

portlanders

« Reply #8 on: 07:08:25, 17/11/17 »
Sorry NeilC, forgot to reply to your comment about sketchers...... i love them and have all manner of sketcher footwear from hiking boots to everyday winter and summer trainers. Thus it was the 1st brand i tried for walking, I already have go-walks but they aren't durable enough for my speed walking so purchased a pair of go-runs, sadly they didn't last 5mins and the soles started to disintegrate. Perhaps it was a faulty pair but the sole looked to me if it was more suitable for a gym or treadmill so abandoned the Sketcher idea. Though again, love them as a leisure footwear and can regularly pick up a pair on Amazon for less than £20

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy