Author Topic: Where is the nearest Defibrillator  (Read 1690 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Where is the nearest Defibrillator
« on: 21:28:31, 12/09/17 »

This started as a serious search on Bing maps.  I know there are several Defibrillators located, in Phone boxes, around Dartmoor. As well as one in our high st, in Saltash.  So I thought it would see if Google and Bing maps, could locate the nearest, one from the centre of the moor.

Google was useless, the closest listed where in Plymouth city centre and Exeter city centre.  :cry: 

Bing Maps on the other hand was far from useless..................................

It was simply hilarious.......................

Hand on a mo me old codger mate,   just got to grab the defib unit from...................................

Toowoomba, QLD 4350, Australia.   :tumbleweed:

I'll be back in a tick. :evil:

Try it from where you are now, just type "Defibrillator" into the Bing maps search bar. 

Then e-mail them with the actual location of any you know of. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Where is the nearest Defibrillator
« Reply #1 on: 11:03:11, 13/09/17 »
I noticed a defibrillator on the Glynders Way recently, first one I've noticed in the UK. Maybe I walk around with my eyes closed. When I hiked along the GR4 in the South of France in May they were everywhere!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:16:09, 13/09/17 »
I also googled (or, rather, Binged) it and also got told "Toowumba".  I actually think "Defibrillator" is a place name there rather than a lifesaving bit of kit  :D

Are defibrillators supposed to be being logged on Bing/Google maps?

Rather be walking

« Reply #3 on: 18:57:05, 13/09/17 »
I googled it and found:-
Try this link http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

hiho

« Reply #4 on: 19:52:51, 13/09/17 »
that's not very upto date either. theirs been 2 on my high street for over 6 months that aren't on it

langsettranger

« Reply #5 on: 20:20:26, 13/09/17 »
The NHS UK Ambulance Service that covers whatever area you are in will know exactly where the nearest CPAD (Community Public Access Defibrillator) is located.

They are in big yellow boxes mounted to the outside of community venues, eg town hall, village hall, telephone box, post office wall etc.

In the event of there being  a Cardiac Arrest the idea is that members of the public make the 999 call which mobilises the nearest available Ambulance resource, and if there is a CPAD nearby the Ambulance Service will give the access code to the caller for them to access the AED, and the Emergency Medical Despatcher (EMD) can guide the caller through the easy process of how to use the machine.

AEDs which are acquired privately by businesses and kept out of public view are encouraged to register the device with their NHS Ambulance Service so that in the event of a cardiac arrest it may be possible to utilise this resource whilst the Ambulance response is en-route.

Hope this response is useful to you ...
LSR - The Langsett Stranger - retired night soil shifter, citizen, dog, lion and black buck mini lop trainer

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:21:43, 13/09/17 »
I googled it and found:-
Try this link http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

Good find.  O0  That site has the details for the two I know of in our town.  But not for those dotted around the moor. I will get the details for those I know of and upload them to that site.  At some point Google Maps will surely catch on.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy