Author Topic: hiking boots  (Read 9443 times)

ozymail

hiking boots
« on: 11:44:58, 11/02/07 »
hello and nice to meet you all  :)  I need to get some good, strong waterproof hiking boots and I looked around and found this forum. I have got Garmont boots at present and they are falling apart after a year. I am looking at Meindl or Scarpa. The Garmonts were of nubuck leather and the outer shell has lasted without problems. However, the leather has come away from the sole along the outer edge. So I think I will go for a stronger type of boot (full leather) and I know that the Meidl can have their soles replaced. Has anybody got some advise for me.

titaniumdude

Re: hiking boots
« Reply #1 on: 20:31:26, 11/02/07 »
Both those makes are top brands for hiking boots so you couldn't go wrong choosing either.  Important thing is if they fit though and its useful to remember that most European branded boots are made to a European last where they have narrower feet.  The Scarpa SL has been a firm favourite of the masses for many years and comes highly recommended.  Very unlikely to fall apart after a year ( 0r several for that matter ).  I would stick a sorbothane full strike under the cheesy insoles that come supplied though.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

marmot

« Reply #2 on: 13:46:13, 12/02/07 »
Yes Scarpa SLs here too.  They're a 3/4 season boot so are pretty stiff if you're not used to them, maybe a 3 season would do....? The soles will wear down before you have any upper problems if you look after them, not that the soles wear excessively fast.

myzeneye

« Reply #3 on: 01:53:38, 25/02/07 »
can anyone advise me on the general sizing with scarpa boots...
is a 9 a good standard 9 or tight and more like a 8 1/2 etc.... ive heard there a narrow boot and wasnt sure . ill be buying online as theres some bargains to be had there....
i know this is not the right way to buy boots, but if they dont fit, ill be sending them back for the right size, i know how to size a boot,but scarpa is a brand ive never worn before so im unclear of there actual fit/size... so to save on any return postage fee's a bit of advice wouldnt go a miss...  thanks

;)

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 14:12:10, 25/02/07 »
Even if you were going to buy online it's a good idea to go to a shop and try them on anyway.  You may think it's a bit cheeky if you've no intention of buying them from the shop, but wha the hell.  They're only after your money after all. 

In answer to your question scarpas are narrow fitting if your from the uk since they are made to a european last (deja vu here) and your average european has narrower feet than your average brit.  The SLs do come in an extra wide (european) fit which in my oppinion roughly translates to a standard width boot made from a british last.  To fully appreciate the difference between the width of a boot built to a european last and those built to a british last try a pair of Karrimors and then a pair of solomans or scarpas.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Gordon Zola

« Reply #5 on: 08:00:41, 09/04/07 »
hi everyone,
I am looking for a pair of boots and thought you could point me in the right direction
Requirements
Wide fitting...... What are the widest fitting boots?
Light weight..... What are the lightest boots?
Gore-tex .......... Is there anything better?
No breaking in....Just put them on and set off.

In the past I've had a pair of Berghaus boots, they lasted quite a while but when I tried to replace them I found  they had changed the styles and the new one's were narrower.

I now have a pair of Meindl and feel they are too narrow, a couple of hours out on the hill and my feet are killing me.
Thanks in advance.

marmot

« Reply #6 on: 20:27:46, 09/04/07 »
Welcome Gordon, I hope you're not going to be too cheesy!? ;)
Anything better than Goretex? - Leather.
I have quite broad feet and find the Scarpa SLs great. I have the older type though so I'd check the width, the new ones are quite a bit lighter than the old ones too. As for breaking them in, they seem to need very little considering their type.
Do the Meindls have an extra insole?

Gordon Zola

« Reply #7 on: 20:50:09, 09/04/07 »
I walk and fish. I am always getting in and out of boats, stepping into Lochs and crossing streams so the boots are often in water, does leather cope well with being wet often for days on end?
The insoles are quite thin I have tried to replace them with thinner insoles but find that I lose the comfort without getting much extra room.
« Last Edit: 22:50:56, 09/04/07 by Gordon Zola »

marmot

« Reply #8 on: 09:46:06, 10/04/07 »
Not that sure to be honest but I'd imagine if you keep them waxed they should be fine.
I suppose Goretex ones usually have suade bits anyway.
If I'm not mistaken the new Scarpa SLs have a Goretex liner inside the leather (the old ones didn't), as do some other leather boots.

Snowman

« Reply #9 on: 13:04:34, 10/04/07 »
Some time ago I bought a pair of 4 season boots, which are about 3/16th inch thick.    They keep out the water, but weigh a ton and because the leather is so thick they haven't 'given' at all.

The problem I've had with water mostly is with water coming in over the top.    For example walking in snow without gaiters - if your foot goes in deep, snow can be pulled into the boot as you draw your foot out.    Others - rain can run down your legs, you stick your foot into that bit of ground that really looked quite solid ...

Fitting is always difficult and IMO always requires a trip to the fitter.    You can't even assume that because one pair of boots fitted you the next range by the same manufacturer will as well.    For example for years I swore by my Salomon boots, but then they started making them a size smaller for some reason.

However even a visit to the local gear shop doesn't always help, since it is nearly always the case that boots won't be replaced once they've been worn outside, so how do you know they'll be OK?    Walking around the house isn't in reality a useful test unless you spend a day walking up and down the stairs.

My intention next time I need a pair of boots is to take a trip up to Richmond (Yorkshire) and get a pair put together by Altberg (www.altberg.co.uk), expensive way of doing it but could be much cheaper in reality.    I believe they even sell the boots mentioned above so perhaps you'll still be able to buy off the shelf.    In know someone in the military who told me that many soldiers dump their army issue boots, get a pair from Altberg and buy a pair of Sorbothane inserts, and lets face it, they should know - I've seen them running up Pen-y-van with weights tied to their legs.

S.
« Last Edit: 13:06:25, 10/04/07 by Snowman »

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 01:20:23, 11/04/07 »
Scarpa sl & Raichle in my opinion are both good boots. On the subject of 'Gortex', the liner can reduce the fitting on the inside, to a narrow fitting, myself, if you dont need the liner, which many dont, then dont buy 'Gortex'.

You say your crossing streams a lot, as stated already, the main problem would be with water coming over the top of your boots, maybe have an easy lacing system and carry a light pair of water pumps, to chance into? Its really horses for courses, i think you would be hard pushed to find one pair of boots that does everything?

And the last point, fitting, i can see how it may sound good just to put your boots on without having to break them in but when you break your boots in they fit to your foot shape and size a lot better, in boots what you put in you get out (pun intended) ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Gordon Zola

« Reply #11 on: 00:01:26, 14/04/07 »
Thanks for the info everyone :)
Going to try the Scarpa boots in the next few days

titaniumdude

« Reply #12 on: 01:13:51, 14/04/07 »
Yep! Good choice.  Snowman is right to recommend Altbergs though.  You get them cheaper if you visit the shop for fitting and you can offset the cost of petrol by having a day out around there.  My 3/4 season boots are altbergs and they do make sure they fit.  I originally got a pair of wide fitters which were still a little narrow so they stretched them out a little at a time while I waited until they were perfect.  They will try and sell you a pair of superfeet insoles mind you which are tish imho (I tried a pair which aggravated an old sport injury).

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:46:42, 14/04/07 »
superfeet insoles ??? in my view they can be good to correct a know issue but if your stance and joints are o.k, they could give you the problem ;)

Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:24:18, 27/04/07 »
[censored]!!

I need some advice!  I've had the same pair of boots for the last six years, they've seen me through dale, over moor and across rivers (well streams anyway  ;)).  They're perfectly moulded to my feet and I have to say I'm a little in love with them.  :-[

Problem is I put them on today and the stitches burst on the side of one of the boots, I couldn't believe it.  My first instinct was to .. wait for it .. use superglue, but thought that I might try and have them restitched.

They're of a tough leather, no special brand name.  In fact I don't think I've ever bothered to learn what make they are.  :-\

Should I pay to let a cobbler work his magic or just let them slide peacefully into retirement?  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy