Author Topic: Accommodation  (Read 635 times)

tyreon

Accommodation
« on: 15:20:38, 07/01/19 »

Is it me or is there less accommodation theseadays? I think there are more people on the move. More people travelling. At the same time,I believe there are less and less people willing to set up local BxBs and the accommodation offered seems to tend more towards chain motels wherein theyre set outside of town on some retail park. These hotels lower prices and so put local BxB owners out-o-biz. I can understand it all: people want low prices,but it can make it difficult for the thru walker to find accommodation,or have to book far ahead(and which can bring about its own problems)

I have recently returned from travelling around Spain. I usually book on an ad hoc basis. Up to date,no great problems. But I am sensing something in the air. I always seemed to fall across some accommodation without booking it. Theseadays,I seem to be an hour away from having to sit up all night in the local park: all accommodation booked.

I tend to think there's more of the world on the move. people have become richer. There's more people. Grandpops or grandma used to open their doors to travelers. Nowadays,there's less inclination to do it. I have an understanding that more group hotels are opening with increased rooms and lower prices driving out local pensions and wotnot. I'd be interested in what others think.

In the past I never worried about sleeping out. Because I was younger. Now,older,I'm not too sure a bedless night on a park bench could be passed over easily.

Most recently read some places are booked out.

Down in Cornwall/Devon 3 years backall places booked within 60 miles. Had to sleep in the car with the missus. Got a buzz that I could still do it without waking up dead!

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Accommodation
« Reply #1 on: 15:36:07, 07/01/19 »
There's still plenty of non-chain B&B accommodation.  It's all just rocketed in price.

Running a business nowadays is fraught with red tape complications.  Some B&B owners just can't raise the cash to meet minimum legal requirements so close down.  Others can't raise the cash to meet those requirements in the first place so don't bother.

AirBnB seems to be a way of getting cheaper overnight accommodation nowadays, but in itself, can be fraught with horror stories and difficulties.

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 16:02:37, 07/01/19 »
Airbnb. Theres an abundance of places on there from a room in someone's house without breakfast for next to nothing to a whole massive house to yourself.

Airbnb has certainly made it cheap for me n the missus to have weekends away.

tyreon

« Reply #3 on: 19:12:29, 07/01/19 »

Mel and Ronin and others. Excellent advice. I need the courage and techno know-how how to do it tho. From initial enquiries I have to submit my passport and other personal data,yes? Alas,a bit wary of doing this in case some matters go awry. Past  personal experience(s) have led me to have to understand that when matters go wrong it can be a lonely and expensive experience to prove you are not at fault: that is,I am very wary of disclosing personal data.

I am of the old(e) school wherein you walked down the road and read what accommodation was available form the Town Hall notice board. Then there was the open Tourist Office.These went when the round wheel replaced the square wheel!

Ronin83

« Reply #4 on: 20:06:21, 07/01/19 »
Haha. I appreciate your concerns, but there's nothing to worry about really and most people out there using Airbnb are good people.
They get rated by guests and they want to get good ratings. There's not much that can go wrong when you're staying at old Jeff and Jill's home  ;D
When it comes to the techy side, im sure someone can show u how to use the app.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:25:01, 07/01/19 »
I get the impression that as older people are retiring from doing B&B there are less younger people that are willing to take it on. That’s certainly been our experience in the last few years when we have been researching accommodation for LDWs.
We have used Airbnb with no problem, I thought we just had to register I don’t recall having to give passport details - maybe thats for if you want to act as a host?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy