Author Topic: Windproof Overtrousers/Leggings  (Read 1884 times)

wobblyknees

Re: Windproof Overtrousers/Leggings
« Reply #15 on: 11:58:41, 29/11/19 »

I think the original Cascada trousers aren’t available now? Last time I looked for a pair only Cascada 2’s were on offer...less baggy and slightly different in other ways to the original Cascada trousers.

Yes. I thought from their adverts at the time about slim fit sizes, etc that the new ones would not be as good as the old ones. I sourced one of the old pairs from a reputable outdoor shop and got a great bargain as shops were offloading the old ones cheaply to make way for the newer (and IMO inferior) model.

It was a far cheaper option for me at the time than sending my aged first pair back to Paramo for repair.

It baffles me why so many manufacturers can't adopt a "if it's not broke, dont fix it" attitude with an already proven excellent item.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:11:28, 29/11/19 »
Instead of 3/4 zips, why do they not design waterproof trousers with 100% side zips? I have a pair of Dutch cycling waterproof trousers, they are half trousers, designed specifically for the front areas of the legs which on a bike always gets wet first. When you start the putting-on-routine the item is first secured around the waist and then the trouser parts are secured. No mud or wet inside the leggings, not having to take ones boots off and no mud or wet when they are taken off. Also with my cycling trousers, if I feet a bit hot around my private parts I just loosen the trouser leg areas and fresh area circulates to dry me in double-quick time. I'm sure that a clever designer could come up with a good answer to counteract the downside of wearing hot waterproof trousers, perhaps they just need a nudge from dissatisfied hikers?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:20:51, 29/11/19 »
Instead of 3/4 zips, why do they not design waterproof trousers with 100% side zips?
  "They" do,  I had a pair made from lightweight material.  You needed a PhD in Origami to put them on in any sort of breeze.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:58:23, 29/11/19 »
Mountain equipment rainfall pants have full side length zips if they still make them.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:09:52, 29/11/19 »

Yes. I thought from their adverts at the time about slim fit sizes, etc that the new ones would not be as good as the old ones. I sourced one of the old pairs from a reputable outdoor shop and got a great bargain as shops were offloading the old ones cheaply to make way for the newer (and IMO inferior) model.

It was a far cheaper option for me at the time than sending my aged first pair back to Paramo for repair.

It baffles me why so many manufacturers can't adopt a "if it's not broke, dont fix it" attitude with an already proven excellent item.

Totally agree.

I’ve got to point in my “walking career” where stuff I bought years ago is falling apart..so I have to reluctantly open wallet to replace it...and usually find the new “improved” model isn’t as good, especially if robustness and lasting a long time is a priority.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:11:56, 29/11/19 »
I think the original Cascada trousers aren’t available now?

A while ago I managed to buy a brand new pair of the original Paramo Cascada Men's Trousers from eBay for £50 delivered so it's always worth keeping an eye on eBay. Some less well known retail outlets may still have an odd pair or two of the original version stuck on the shelves gathering dust.

Instead of 3/4 zips, why do they not design waterproof trousers with 100% side zips?

I'm sure that a clever designer could come up with a good answer to counteract the downside of wearing hot waterproof trousers, perhaps they just need a nudge from dissatisfied hikers?

As previously posted they already have. You just have to be prepared to search the internet for them but more importantly in your case you need to be prepared to pay the going rate to buy them when you find them and you definitely won't find any in the £15 or less price bracket!  ;D

The Marmot PreCip Full Zip Pants might be worth considering at around £60+. YouTube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIOjZ_VLqAc

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:59:27, 30/11/19 »
Montane Featherlite Pertex over trousers.
Their made of fairly thin material, and i recon getting them stuck in a few brambles would do them no favours, but their ultra lightweight, and you can hide them inside the palm of your hand.
Their incredibly windproof, and ive never seen anything dry so quickly.

Their not cheap, but they have full ankle zips, are beautifully made in the lightest pertex available, and boy are they windproof.

Their only downside, is that their not the slightest bit waterproof, or showerproof, but from wet to being dry, incredibly fast drying.

Almost a miracle of nature, their dry in under four minutes in sunny windy conditions, and they weigh next to nothing.

They pack so small, that you could put them in your jacket pocket, and forget their there.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:54:06, 02/12/19 »
I use Paramo trousers in the cooler months too. I think mine might be Velez ones though.

Despite owning a couple of Paramo jackets, I'm not 100% convinced by them but the trousers seem to be a product where the Paramo system shines IMO and live up to the wear all-day claims

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy