Author Topic: What to do about my sleeping quilt?  (Read 1809 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
What to do about my sleeping quilt?
« on: 17:08:09, 21/09/18 »
I've used a sleeping quilt now for a few years. It could be my imagination but everytime I wash, usually about twice a year, occasionally three, it I feel it doesn't have the warmth properties that it had when new? I really don't want to spend out a large sum of money to replace it so have been thinking about how can I improve on what I already have? My quilt, even after all of the times I've used it and washed it, still looks brand new and has no problems of bad stitching or anything else.

Four solutions appear viable, firstly to get extra down pumped into the baffles, secondly, to purchase an inner or an outer layer of extra warmth, perhaps an external 'hiking blanket' throwover, or to even think about an internal blanket to throwover me. Once over me I would then get under my quilt as normal. Thirdly, to use extra clothing, leggings, socks and a warm jacket to achieve what I want and lastly,ignore it all and buy a new quilt?

I know for sure that I do not want to buy a new quilt so extra down might be my answer, but I also don't want to add noticable extra weight or bulk either, so my dilemma  is, to keep warm in the winter whats the most effective route for me to take? A throwover or clothing seems to be the answer, or is it?

Has anybody else considered this type of solution to improve on their existing sleeping bag? In the end what did you do and was it successful?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: What to do about my sleeping quilt?
« Reply #1 on: 17:34:09, 21/09/18 »
Sounds like the down is on its way out but rather than add more (did not know you could do that), could you not replace it?  Surely just adding more would surely increase the bulk. However, wouldn't that cost as much as a new quilt given the labour involved?
The other solutions may act as stop gaps but will either add weight and/or bulk and the quilt is not going to improve with age.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:06:13, 21/09/18 »
Have you tried tumble-drying it with a couple or 3 tennis balls in to help un-clump and revamp the loft?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:53:04, 21/09/18 »
When the quilt comes out of the washing machine it has loads of down lumped together and if the weather is not right can take an age to dry, but when it is dry the down fluffs up so easily. Whether my wife uses tennis balls or similar, I'm not sure, I don't go near her machine  as my wife often says, "you have no idea"

I bought my quilt via Cumulus.pl and they do offer a more down, or new down, but at a cost obviously. I need to check it out.

I must admit my inclination is to go for clothing but I'll ponder the answer for sometime before deciding what to do.

The one thing that has always puzzled me is would a throwover keep me warmer than say a new down jacket? Or would both work the same?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:56:35, 21/09/18 »
She won't use tennis balls if it's being dried on a washing line!  It does make a difference tumble drying with tennis balls - I do it with my duvet from time to time.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:17:40, 21/09/18 »
Get it professionally cleaned every now and then, you'll be amazed at the difference. I had the same problem with a sleeping bag, I spoke to Rab they recommended a firm in Sheffield. Came back like new.

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 22:34:37, 21/09/18 »
I have washed a down s/bag & a duvet jacket by hand in the bath - it's hard work!
If you want details of this, post again and I'll let you know

However, since then I've had a couple of s/bags professionally cleaned and the results were much better - once by Franklin of Sheffield, which almost certainly was the firm used by Owen
However they are no longer trading and the business has been taken over by

www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk of Rotherham

who also do an excellent job
The bag comes back like new; cleaned, and restored loft. It's bout £35, and thus hardly worth doing it yourself

If you're still not happy, then extra clothes would be the easiest & cheapest way to increase the warmth as you will probably have these already - socks or insulated bootees, long johns or microfleece pants, & some sort of fleece or insulated top
You can use a hydration bladder as a hot water bottle; the morning you will have lukewarm water and be well on your way to your first brew

I've just re-read your post. Do you really wash it 2 or 3 times a year!?. that's far too much, and will in itself damage the bag or quilt
I think I had my s/bag cleaned only after about 10 years

When you have washed a down item you must tumble dry it or the down will clag together. If you have simply hung it up, even if it looks reasonable you will not have restored the loft properly
From your posts I suspect that you might have only hung it up. If you have tumble dried it at home that will not be good enough as domestic dryers are not big enough to allow the down to be redistributed. At the least you should use a tumble dryer in a laundrette
 I suggest you have it cleaned by elite and you should see a considerable improvement - they have a 10 foot diameter tumble dryer, and you simply cannot compete with that
« Last Edit: 22:56:28, 21/09/18 by zuludog »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:55:20, 22/09/18 »
Thanks for all your opinions and views. Until I decide otherwise, I'm going to stick with clothing, but at the same time explore the possibility of getting my quilt restuffed.

I do like the idea of the Tucas Sestral Blanket but I couldn't bring myself to order one unless I was able to physically see it first.

zuludog

« Reply #8 on: 18:01:03, 22/09/18 »
Before you get it re-stuffed, see what it looks like after it has been cleaned by www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk
I think you will be pleasantly surprised and impressed

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:04:37, 22/09/18 »
Seems like a lot of washing. Does it really need all that? My down bags get washed every few yew e.

Last time I washed one, I used Nikwax hydrophobic downwash and heavy rubber balls in the dryer as I don't find tennis balls heavy enough and it fluffed up really well, did the same with a jacket too and that responded very well. Might be worth a shot.

Couchwalker

« Reply #10 on: 13:21:59, 26/09/18 »
Have you tried a silk liner bag? I found it helps add a degree or two of warmth to my summer bag, allowing me to use it during the slightly colder months without needing to go to a 4 season bag. It has the added advantage of being quite small and lightweight so should fit in a backpack reasonably easily.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:33:47, 30/09/18 »
I've tried a liner, not good for me, I toss and turn during the night and wrap myself up like a chrysalis.

I have one or two options to improve the warmth factor when its cold (new down filling for example) but at the moment I'm looking for advice about lightweight, 'camping blankets.' I have in mind something that will fold up small, weigh very little which can be either, pulled over me inside my quilt, or thrown over the outer covering of my quilt? They seem to exist, perhaps under the heading of thermal blankets, so I wondered if anyone on the Forum has ever bought and used one?

If so are they worth it?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy