Author Topic: Walking injuries  (Read 8692 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Walking injuries
« on: 18:24:51, 24/06/20 »
After about 5 miles of my first walk out in the wilds for 4 months I started to experience pain behind both knees, appears to me this is the area of the Tendons. Have stiffness when attempting to bend leg and after walking, very slowly, @10 miles to get back to the car everything has become worse. Back home and having difficulty walking due to pain and stiffness.

Had a quick look online for any assistance and it appears if it is Tendons ice pack required.

Anyone experienced anything similar that can offer advice, which would be greatly received!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking injuries
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:31, 24/06/20 »
Ice pack/ bag of peas.

A few days rest, then gently back to it.

If it is the tendons they can take a while to heal, more likely the sheath they slide in is a bit inflamed.

if it's still sore in 3 or 4 days might be worth getting a physio to take a look.  Only you know how sore it is.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:33:53, 24/06/20 »
Thanks for your quick reply BuzyG.

Have attempted a bit of a massage and the ice packs, which has eased them a little.

See how I get on as have to go and water the garden after such a red hot day.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:53:21, 24/06/20 »
Agreed about the ice packs - bags of peas are indeed very good as they assume the shape of the body surface well. I used them to help with a problem recently.
I also used a TENS device on it. It helped a lot with the pain but I'm not sure if it helped with the actual healing. It stimulates blood flow a bit which is generally a good thing.
Some physios are open for clients now, I had my first session last week and the second session today, with the usual CV measures in place.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:02, 24/06/20 »
Thanks vghikers.

Sat for about half an hour with ice packs on then needed to go and water greenhouse, tomato plants wilting in todays heat.
Feels a bit better but I'll have another go with ice packs.

Did you get referred by GP or hospital or just make an appointment with physio?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:37:02, 24/06/20 »
Did you get referred by GP or hospital or just make an appointment with physio?

I just made an appointment directly with the physio.
My problem started nine weeks ago when no physios were open. At that time I had a long chat with her by phone and she said she would call me as soon as her professional insurance would allow her to see clients under specific conditions (signed waivers re the CV risk) - that turned out to be last week.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:37:33, 24/06/20 »
My problem started nine weeks ago when no physios were open.

That sounds a long painful time!

Hope things are greatly improved.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:43:19, 24/06/20 »
I feel your pain! I had a similar problem last year, I was hobbling and limping for a while, it took weeks and weeks to mend. I too used the bags of peas, it help but in the end, it was just a waiting game. I visited the physio and they gave me an A4 sheet of exercises and a large rubber band. I don't think it helped me at all, TIME for me was the healer.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:45:35, 24/06/20 »
I feel your pain! I had a similar problem last year, I was hobbling and limping for a while, it took weeks and weeks to mend. I too used the bags of peas, it help but in the end, it was just a waiting game. I visited the physio and they gave me an A4 sheet of exercises and a large rubber band. I don't think it helped me at all, TIME for me was the healer.

I've got a few of those rubber bands from Plantar Fascia problems... I'll stick with ice packs and see how it goes.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:23:46, 24/06/20 »
Tendon injuries do take a long time to heal and can be very frustrating. It is easy to do too much too soon and set the recovery back. My problem is that I always want to go further and faster than my current capabilities. My physio gave me some Pilates and yoga exercises to stretch out my back and strengthen my core with the aim of reducing back pain. They did seem to work for a while, but then my back when into spasm during the exercise and I went through the worst pain I have ever experienced. My wife asked if she should call an ambulance. I would recommend caution when building up strength and flexibility following soft tissue injuries based upon painful experience.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:50:32, 25/06/20 »
That sounds a long painful time!
Hope things are greatly improved.

I posted about it on the Awning thread but it quickly disappeared off-page, I guess nobody read it.

Briefly for the interest of others, I made an unforgivable howling error: I severely overloaded my small Talon daypack with groceries in Manchester and walked home nearly ten miles with that poorly supported weight pressing down on the shoulders. I did some real damage to the nerves down my left shoulder, tricep and forearm, the pain varied but at its worst was excruciating in the shoulder blade particularly and never subsided enough to sleep properly.
I spent a month on prescription painkillers targeted at nerve pain, but it's much improved now.

...in the end, it was just a waiting game. I visited the physio and they gave me an A4 sheet of exercises and a large rubber band. I don't think it helped me at all, TIME for me was the healer.

Exactly this, exercises might help a bit but injuries of this kind heal in their own sweet time - and that time gets a lot longer as you age!.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:15:03, 25/06/20 »
Interesting as I get tendinitis in my left wrist and elbow, my boss gets the same in his right arm (I am devil's spawn being left handed).
We know what causes it, but 10 weeks away from work and have just realised it is not hurting at the moment.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:22:24, 25/06/20 »
I visited the physio and they gave me an A4 sheet of exercises and a large rubber band. I don't think it helped me at all.

Indeed another who received this from a physio. As much use as fat lip in a pub brawl.

The trick is to get the diagnosis right. Then treat it.

Unfortunately my last painful pull was misdiagnosed and not sorted for 18 months, until a GP in our walking group suggested it could be something completely different.  Happily he was spot on and it was then sorted properly withing a few months.

Rest and cold peas though work for them all in the early stages, to get any swelling down.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:17:52, 25/06/20 »
I keep one of these in my freezer.  I use it if my knee grumbles during or after a walk.  Does chiling and compression at the same time.  Throw in a cold beer and a recliner chair and I have met the full RICE requirement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelpacks-Direct-Luxury-Compress-Injuries/dp/B00MV2KL5O/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2LZ86YI64P63Y&dchild=1&keywords=gel+pack+for+knee&qid=1593094391&sprefix=gel+pac%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-5
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #14 on: 22:50:26, 25/06/20 »
Strangely enough I've had a problem with my Knee. I've been referred to musculoskeletal don't know how long that will take. I have sharp pain at front and side of knee really painful that lasts about 40 seconds then gone. Its as though its inside. No swelling on knee I can touch my knee etc. I'm resorting to Google till I can get it sorted. Its not all the time and can happen even if I'm laid down. Does it sound familiar to anyone. I got a foam roller. The pain just comes on sudden. I do hike hills and had no accident.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy